Oct. 11, 2014, 8:25 AM
- Energy MLPs have been subject to indiscriminate selling this week as crude oil prices plunge, and while RBC Capital analyst John Ragozzino would not step into the sector in a big way right now, he thinks investors already in the group should ride out the storm - depending on their oil price exposure.
- Many energy MLPs, especially pipelines, are less correlated to commodity prices than other energy investments, but more MLPs with cyclical oil and gas price exposure are now part of the mix, and some investors have been selling without regard for the relative quality of specific stocks, Ragozzino says.
- The analyst believes there is minimal risk to reduction in 2015 distributions; with commodity price hedging, he thinks MLPs on average will feel some pain, but can handle oil prices as low as $80/bbl.
- Ragozzino says the MLPs most highly levered to a sustained drop in crude prices are MidCon Energy Partners (NASDAQ:MCEP), LRR Energy (NYSE:LRE) and Legacy Reserves (NASDAQ:LGCY); names least exposed include Atlas Resource Partners (NYSE:ARP), Vanguard Natural Resources (NASDAQ:VNR) and EV Energy Partners (NASDAQ:EVEP).
- ETFs: AMLP, AMJ, MLPL, MLPI, MLPA, MLPN, EMLP, MLPX, MLPS, AMU, ENFR, ATMP, MLPW, IMLP
Oct. 10, 2014, 10:55 AM
- In what's looking like at least a short-term capitulation move, investors are bailing out of upstream MLPs.
- Linn Energy (LINE -7.1%), BreitBurn Energy (BBEP -8.8%), EV Energy (EVEP -7.8%), Eagle Rock Energy (EROC -4.7%), QR Energy (QRE -8.1%), Legacy Reserves (LGCY -6.5%), Vanguard Natural Resources (VNR -10.3%).
- The JPMorgan Alerian MLP ETN (AMJ -2.9%) is down 12.4% over the last month.
- ETFs: AMLP, AMJ, MLPL, MLPI, MLPA, MLPN, EMLP, MLPX, MLPS, AMU, ENFR, ATMP, MLPW, IMLP, AMZA, OSMS
- Previously: Breitburn Energy shelves $400M high-yield bond offering
Sep. 23, 2014, 8:14 AM| 1 Comment
Aug. 11, 2014, 6:33 AM
Aug. 10, 2014, 5:30 PM
May. 12, 2014, 6:58 AM
May. 11, 2014, 5:30 PM
Mar. 3, 2014, 6:36 AM
Mar. 3, 2014, 12:05 AM
Mar. 2, 2014, 5:30 PM
Feb. 21, 2014, 11:57 AM
- EV Energy Partners (EVEP +5.2%) is upgraded to Buy from Hold with a $40 target price at Wunderlich, citing alleviating infrastructure constraints in the Utica which provides greater visibility towards production ramp-up in the basin and potentially benefiting EVEP's monetization plans of its Utica's assets.
- The start-up of the UEO processing plant, the de-ethanizer and the ATEX pipeline should create a positive ripple effect on EVEP's cash flow and its Utica valuation, the firm says.
- The firm thinks EVEP is now at an inflection point, presenting an attractive risk/reward opportunity.
Nov. 12, 2013, 8:01 AM
Nov. 12, 2013, 12:05 AM
Nov. 11, 2013, 5:30 PM
Oct. 24, 2013, 11:06 AM
- Energy analysts at Wunderlich feel more confident about upstream MLPs as 2013 rolls over, and the firm initiates coverage on some of the more conservative high-yielding names.
- Breitburn Energy (BBEP), Legacy Reserves (LGCY) and QR Energy (QRE) are initiated at Buy, believing they are trading at a discount to peers despite increasingly liquids-rich portfolios and a long and successful acquisition track records.
- Memorial Production Partners (MEMP) and Vanguard Natural Resources (VNR) also are started at Buy despite more gas-oriented portfolios.
- EV Energy (EVEP) is initiated with a Hold rating, citing limited upside until it divests its planned Utica acreage; Atlas Resources Partners (ARP) also starts at Hold pending clearer visibility toward its debt metrics and coverage ratio improvement.
Oct. 17, 2013, 4:24 PM
EVEP vs. ETF Alternatives
EV Energy Partners LP is engaged in the acquisition, development and production of oil and natural gas properties. Its midstream segment is engaged in the construction and operation of natural gas processing and natural gas liquids fractionation.
Other News & PR