Wed, Mar. 11, 9:11 AM
Wed, Mar. 11, 7:29 AM
- Express (NYSE:EXPR) reports comparable-store sales fell 2% in Q4.
- E-commerce sales were up 4% Y/Y to $144.3M.
- Gross margin rate -30 bps to 31.7% as higher rent and depreciation expenses factored in.
- SG&A expense rate +90 bps to 21.0%.
- Merchandise margins improved by 70 bps during the quarter
- Inventory +13.4% to $241.06M.
- Guidance: The company sees Q1 EPS of $0.11-$0.14 vs $0.11 consensus.
- EXPR +7.0% premarket.
Tue, Jan. 20, 12:45 PM
Tue, Jan. 20, 9:16 AM
Tue, Jan. 20, 8:57 AM| Comment!
Dec. 11, 2014, 10:03 AM
- The S&P Retail ETF (NYSEARCA:XRT) is up 2.3% off of today's strong read on retail sales in the U.S.
- While the big boys are holding their own - Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT) +1.1%, Target (NYSE:TGT) +2.0%, Costco (NASDAQ:COST) +1.0% - it's the apparel chains and specialty retailers doing the heavy lifting.
- Retail standouts: Barnes & Noble (NYSE:BKS) +3.3%, CST Brands (NYSE:CST) +3.3%, Ascena Retail (NASDAQ:ASNA) +3.2%, Williams-Sonoma (NYSE:WSM) +3.0%, Express (NYSE:EXPR) +2.9%, Stein Mart (NASDAQ:SMRT) +2.7%.
- Previously: Retail Sales report, highlights
Dec. 4, 2014, 7:37 AM
- Express (NYSE:EXPR) reports comparable-store sales fell 5% in Q3 to miss the expectation of analysts for a 3% dip.
- E-commerce sales were up 11% in the period.
- Gross margin rate -110 bps to 31.7% on higher buying and occupancy costs in relation to sales.
- SG&A expense rate -10 bps to 25.4%.
- Inventory +2.1% to $350.27M.
- Q4 guidance: EPS of $0.38-$0.45 expected. Comparable sales in a negative mid to high single digit rate seen.
- Full-year guidance: EPS of $0.69-$0.76 projected vs. $0.82 consensus. Comp sales at a negative mid to high single digit rate.
- EXPR -10.3% premarket.
Oct. 17, 2014, 9:48 AM
- A warning from Urban Outfitters (URBN -15%) on Q3 sales and margin rates is impacting peers in the teen-oriented specialty retail sector.
- A number of investment firms are readjusting estimates and ratings based on the development at the retailer.
- Decliners: American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE:AEO) -3.5%, Abercrombie & Fitch (NYSE:ANF) -4.4%, Guess (NYSE:GES) -1.7%, Express (NYSE:EXPR) -2.1%, Aeropostale (NYSE:ARO) -1.0%.
Sep. 15, 2014, 12:20 PM
- Mall retailer stocks start off the week in sluggish fashion, trailing broad market averages.
- Channel checks on back-to-school traffic at malls have come in below expectations, although some analysts think e-commerce gains will offset.
- Sales for retail clothing stores rose 0.3% M/M and 3.2% Y/Y in August.
- Decliners: Lululemon (NASDAQ:LULU) -3.1%, Express (NYSE:EXPR) -2.2%, Pacific Sunwear (NASDAQ:PSUN) -2.2%, American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE:AEO) -1.6%, Wet Seal (NASDAQ:WTSL) -2.1%, Buckle (NYSE:BKE) -1.0%, Urban Outfitters (NASDAQ:URBN) -1.1%, Zumiez (NASDAQ:ZUMZ) -1.9%.
Aug. 27, 2014, 12:46 PM
Aug. 27, 2014, 9:12 AM
Aug. 27, 2014, 7:15 AM
- Express (NYSE:EXPR) reports comparable-store sales fell 5% in Q2.
- Revenue growth: Americas +9% to $484M; Asia-Pacific +14% to $237M; Europe +8% to $120M; Japan -13% to $119M.
- Gross margin rate -280 bps to 28.3%. A decline in merchandise margin and higher occupancy costs as a percentage of sales impacted results.
- SG&A expense ratio +100 bps to 25.3%.
- Inventory +12.9% to $239M.
- EXPR +1.8% premarket.
Aug. 19, 2014, 10:01 AM
- A CEO transition at Aeropostale (ARO +11.1%) along with some robust earnings reports from retail heavyweights is helping to give a lift to some beat-up mall sellers.
- The general take from analysts is that the group is entering the Back-to-School season with an assortment more aligned to teenage tastes and with a tighter reign on SG&A expenses.
- Gainers: Zumiez (NASDAQ:ZUMZ) +2.4%, Express (NYSE:EXPR) +1.6%, Tilly's (NYSE:TLYS) +1.8%, Buckle (NYSE:BKE) +1.7%, Abercrombie & Fitch (NYSE:ANF) +2.3%, American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE:AEO) +2.8%, Gap (NYSE:GPS) +1.2%.
Jun. 13, 2014, 12:46 PM
Jun. 13, 2014, 9:11 AM
Jun. 12, 2014, 5:40 PM
- In a new 13D, Sycamore Partners discloses it has a 9.9% Express (EXPR) stake, and says it would like the board's help in performing "due diligence to determine a definitive valuation of [Express] in order to submit a binding, fully financed proposal to acquire all of the remaining common stock of [Express] not owned by Sycamore."
- Sycamore has already taken a large stake in fellow retailer Aeropostale (ARO), and struck a deal last year to acquire The Jones Group.
- ARO +4.8% AH.
EXPR vs. ETF Alternatives
Express, Inc., is a specialty apparel and accessory retailer offering both women's and men's merchandise. The Company operates in single segment which is Express brick-and-mortar retail stores and e-commerce operations.
Other News & PR