Fiat S.p.A. Torino is the holding company of the Fiat Group. Through its subsidiaries, Co. is engaged principally in the manufacture and sale of automobiles, commercial vehicles and agricultural and construction equipment. Co. is organized into operating sectors, divided in the two major... More
Thursday, Oct 312013, 1:32 PM
Thursday, Oct 312013, 1:32 PM| 2 Comments
- WardsAuto pushes aside worries on capacity constraints to forecast Q4 car production in North America will reach a 14-year high of 4.02M units.
- The automobile industry publication thinks Honda (HMC -0.4%), Nissan (NSANY -2.7%), and Toyota (TM -0.4%) will all set Q4 production records.
- The forecast for the Big Three is just as promising. WardsAuto taps Ford (F -0.9%) to see its best Q4 N.A. production run since 2005, Chrysler's (FIATY) its highest tally since 2006, and General Motors (GM +0.6%) to top output for every year since 2007.
- Related ETFs: CARZ
Tuesday, Oct 292013, 8:28 AM
Tuesday, Oct 292013, 8:28 AM| 1 Comment
- Fiat (FIATY) says it's close to finishing off a deal in China that will help it finally sell the Jeep Cherokee model in the nation.
- The automaker plans to partner with Guangzhou Automobile Group to make the late entry into the SUV segment in China.
- Some auto industry analysts are skeptical with the Jeep brand lacking the punch it has in other global markets.
Tuesday, Oct 292013, 7:36 AM
Tuesday, Oct 292013, 7:36 AM| Comment!
- Chrysler (FIATY) amended its IPO filing to change the characterization that its history of product introductions have always been "successful" and to highlight some of the conflicts it has had with Fiat.
- At last report, the IPO is still on track with the UAW retiree healthcare trust that owns 41.5% of Chrysler wanting close to a billion dollars more than what Fiat wants to pay for the stake.
Thursday, Oct 242013, 1:48 PM
Thursday, Oct 242013, 1:48 PM| 4 Comments
- A coalition of states, including California and New York, say they will work toward a goal of boosting sales of electric vehicles in the U.S. in order to lower overall emissions from the automobile industry.
- The states want to adopt measure to promote the building of more charging stations with similarities across borders.
- Automakers (F, GM, TM, HMC, NSANY, FIATY) could use the help with EV sales still well-below targets despite major price incentives.
Monday, Oct 212013, 7:23 AM
Monday, Oct 212013, 7:23 AM| 5 Comments
- A new survey of automobile suppliers indicates if U.S. car production reaches an annual selling rate of 16M units it's possible the industry could see some spot shortages.
- Though the production issues could affect Ford (F) and General Motors (GM), it's Chrysler (FIATY) that appears to be the automaker most at risk.
Thursday, Oct 172013, 9:38 AM
Thursday, Oct 172013, 9:38 AM| Comment!
- Fiat (FIATY.PK) plans to urge the UAW to help it convince a UAW retiree healthcare fund to unload its 41.5% stake in Chrysler at what it considers a reasonable price.
- The company thinks a merger between Chrysler and Fiat is a better option than a partial IPO, but hasn't been able to strike a deal price with the health care fund which is tempted by the valuation an open market might bring.
Thursday, Oct 172013, 8:27 AM
Thursday, Oct 172013, 8:27 AM| 26 Comments
- Tesla Motors (TSLA) transferred 1,311.52 ZEV credits in California for the fiscal year ending September 30, according to data released by the California Air Resources Board.
- The automaker scored close to 30X more credits than second-place Suzuki (SZKMY.PK).
- Chrysler (FIATY.PK), General Motors (GM), and Volkswagen (VLKAY.PK) were net buyers of ZEV credits in the state during the period in order to stay in compliance.
Wednesday, Oct 162013, 6:59 AM
Wednesday, Oct 162013, 6:59 AM| 4 Comments
- Automobile executives press politicians to reopen the government as they ponder the impact of the stalemate on U.S. consumers,
- Ford (F) spokesperson Erich Merkle says the automaker hasn't seen a sales slowdown in the U.S. attributable to the government shutdown yet, while Chrysler (FIATY.PK) acknowledges only a minimal impact.
- Yesterday, Hyundai's (HYMLF.PK) CEO created a stir when he predicted U.S. auto sales could drop by as much as 10% due to the squabbling in Washington DC.
- Most automobile analysts think if the budget impasses stretches into next week that demand will be clipped noticably.
- Related stocks: GM, VLKAY.PK, HMC, TM, NSANY.OB
Wednesday, Oct 162013, 3:50 AM
Wednesday, Oct 162013, 3:50 AM| 1 Comment
- European new-car sales increased at the fastest rate in over two years in September, climbing 5.5% on year to 1.19M vehicles after dropping 4.9% in August.
- In January-September, sales fell 3.9% to 9.34M cars.
- Last month's figures were boosted by the end of the eurozone recession, price cutting, and a Spanish government-incentive scheme that helped demand jump 29%.
- "Car sales in the EU are showing signs of improvement, indicating that the worst is behind us," says Ernst & Young's Peter Fuss. "The sales, however, continue to be artificially boosted by huge discounts and self-registrations by dealers.
- Registrations in the U.K. rose 12% and 3.4% in France, but dropped 1.2% in Germany and 2.9% in Italy.
- GM's (GM) sales +5.4%, Ford (F) +5%. (PR)
- Related tickers: PEUGF.PK, HMC, FIATY.PK, TM, VLKAF.PK, BAMXF.PK, DDAIF.PK, RNSDF.PK.
Tuesday, Oct 152013, 7:08 AM
Tuesday, Oct 152013, 7:08 AM| Comment!
- A federal filing indicates that the union healthcare fund holding a 41.5% stake in Chrysler (FIATY.PK) valued the position at $3.6B at the end of last year.
- The disclose gives negotiators a good starting point in their effort to work out a deal to divest the position and avoid a partial Chrysler IPO.
- The total value of Chrysler would be close to $8.7B based an extrapolation of the estimate.
Saturday, Oct 122013, 10:40 AM
Saturday, Oct 122013, 10:40 AM| 15 Comments
- Major automobile companies are making a big mistake in thinking they can increase profit margins by taking on German automakers (BAMXY.PK, VLKAY.PK, DDAIF.PK) in the luxury market on their home turf, argues Neil Winston of The Detroit News.
- The "delusional" strategy to invest in the high-end market - instead of slashing capacity and following the lead of the successful South Korean automakers (KIMTF.PK, HYMLF.PK) in Europe - has proven disastrous to automakers such as Saab, Renault (RNSDF.PK), and Volvo (VLKAY.PK) in the past.
- Peugeot (GM, PEUGF.PK) and Ford (F) are guilty of falling for the temptation to move more models into the European upscale market, while Fiat (FIATY.PK) is playing small ball on the continent.
Friday, Oct 112013, 8:04 AM
Friday, Oct 112013, 8:04 AM| Comment!
- Fiat (FIATY.PK) CEO Sergio Marchionne denies the insinuation in a report issued earlier in the week that he discouraged investors from buying shares of Chrysler in a partial IPO.
- The combative exec is in the odd position of needing to publicly support an IPO that he wants to happen through a different avenue (full IPO via Fiat).
Thursday, Oct 102013, 7:39 AM
Thursday, Oct 102013, 7:39 AM| Comment!
- Chrysler (FIATY.PK) CEO Sergio Marchionne says investing in the automaker through a partial IPO isn't the most attractive route for investors.
- The exec's comments were made during a conference last week.
- Many analysts think that a deal will ultimately be struck between Fiat and an union healthcare trust holding a large block of Chrysler shares which would end plans for the partial IPO.
Wednesday, Oct 92013, 7:06 AM
Friday, Oct 42013, 8:33 AM|Friday, Oct 42013, 8:33 AM| 2 Comments
Thursday, Oct 32013, 7:09 AM|Thursday, Oct 32013, 7:09 AM| Comment!