Thu, Mar. 12, 9:47 AM
- Shares of Dollar Tree (DLTR +1.6%), Target (TGT +1.1%), Wal-Mart (WMT +1.1%), Fred's (FRED +1.1%), and Five Below (FIVE +1.6%) are picking up steam after Dollar General's (DG +2.7%) quarterly reports shows some broad strength across categories.
- Despite the headline miss on U.S. retail sales earlier, the S&P Retail (NYSEARCA:XRT) is up 1.12% to outpace the S&P 500.
- Analysts think lower-income consumer spending is gaining momentum based on the most recent reads from discounters such as Dollar General.
- Previously: New buybacks and store growth on tap for Dollar General
Wed, Mar. 11, 6:58 AM
- MKM Partners upgrades Five Below (NASDAQ:FIVE) to a Buy rating from Neutral.
- The investment firm sets a price target of $35 on the retailer to rep upside potential of almost 25%.
- Shares of Five Below are down 30% YTD after failing to recover from the company's soft read on holiday sales.
- The company announces full Q4 earnings on March 25.
Wed, Feb. 25, 6:55 AM| 3 Comments
Thu, Feb. 19, 10:55 AM
- Five Below (NASDAQ:FIVE) trades lower after Wal-Mart reports earnings and announces a new wage structure in the U.S.
- A scan of Glassdoor.com indicates Five Below sales associates average $7.95 and cashiers $7.88 vs. the federal minimum of $7.25.
- Shares of the retailer are down 0.70% on the day and stand -20.62% YTD.
Fri, Feb. 13, 1:51 PM
- The Northeast part of the U.S. is bracing for another major winter storm .
- Parts of New England have seen a record amount of snowfall over the last month.
- Retailers with a high concentration of stores in the storm-impacted area include Dunkin' Brands (DNKN -0.8%), Rite Aid (RAD +2.8%), and Five Below (FIVE -0.9%).
Fri, Jan. 9, 12:47 PM
Fri, Jan. 9, 9:10 AM
Thu, Jan. 8, 8:18 PM
- Holiday retail sales rose 4.6% vs. expectations for a 3.8% lift, according to a read from ShopperTrak. The growth rate is the highest since 2005 for the period.
- The rush of positive reports from retailers on holiday sales comes off of some beaten-down expectations, notes Chain Store Age.
- Concerns on mall traffic, a West Coast port slowdown, and a frenzied level of promotions drove consensus estimates lower before some macroeconomic factors improved and $2 gas entered the scene.
- A cross-section of retailers that surprised on the upside includes Barnes & Noble, Pier 1 Imports, Walgreens, Urban Outfitters, and Sonic.
- What to watch: Costco (NASDAQ:COST) put up a 5% comp for December, putting some pressure on Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT) and Target (NYSE:TGT) to show signs of late-quarter strength. Signs of weakness at dollar stores (DG, DLTR, FDO, FIVE) and electronics chains (HGG, CONN, BBY) are a concern. Retailers seen as on-trend for the holiday season include Foot Locker (NYSE:FL), Lululemon (NASDAQ:LULU), and Williams-Sonoma (NYSE:WSM).
- Related ETFs: XLY, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, IYK, FXD, IYC, FDIS, SCC, UCC, PMR, UGE, RCD, SZK
Thu, Jan. 8, 5:35 PM
Thu, Jan. 8, 5:21 PM
- Five Below (NASDAQ:FIVE) -15% AH after saying it sees Q4 results coming in below Wall Street expectations, reflecting softness after Black Friday continuing into Christmas and the post-holiday period.
- FIVE now sees Q4 sales in the range of $262M-$263M vs. prior guidance of $262M-$266M and analyst consensus of $265M, and EPS of $0.59-$0.60 vs.its earlier outlook for $0.59-$0.62 and below $0.61 consensus.
- FIVE says same-store sales rose 3.2% Y/Y for the nine weeks of the quarter through Jan. 3.
Dec. 5, 2014, 12:50 PM
Dec. 5, 2014, 9:10 AM
Dec. 4, 2014, 6:48 PM
- Five Below (NASDAQ:FIVE) -11.7% AH after its Q3 earnings report included disappointing sales guidance for the current holiday quarter, and naming current COO Joel Anderson as its new CEO.
- FIVE projects Q4 EPS of $0.59-$0.62 vs. $0.63 analyst consensus estimate and revenues of $262M-$266M vs. $268M consensus.
- Anderson replaces CEO and co-founder Tom Vellios, who will become executive chairman; Anderson joined FIVE in July after leaving Wal-Mart, where he ran the retailer’s website.
Dec. 4, 2014, 5:36 PM
Dec. 4, 2014, 4:05 PM
Dec. 3, 2014, 5:35 PM
FIVE vs. ETF Alternatives
Five Below Inc is a specialty retailer offering merchandise for teen and pre-teen customers. Its merchandise includes everything from sporting goods, games, fashion accessories and jewelry, to hobbies and collectibles, bath and body and among others.
Other News & PR