Fuji Heavy Industries is engaged in the manufacture, repair and sale of automobiles, industrial equipment, airplanes and aerospace-related equipment, and various other machinery. Co.'s automobiles and industrial equipment are sold under Subaru brand and Robin brand. Co.'s principal products are... More
Tuesday, Dec 102:09 PM
Tuesday, Dec 102:09 PM| Comment!
- The dizzying week for General Motors (GM -0.8%) after its announcement of a fresh CEO, global cutbacks (South Korea, Australia, Chevrolet in Europe), and imminent exit by the Treasury Department as an investor gets even more interesting as it reveals one of the biggest goals of all for the company.
- The automaker plans to make a serious push in Indonesia where Japanese automakers (NSANY, TM, HMC, MZDAY, SZKMY, FUJHY) outsell it by a huge margin and its market share is just a shade over 1%.
- In a clever move, GM has been watching what works for rivals in Indonesia before deciding which segment to jump into and who to partner with in the country of 247M people.
Tuesday, Dec 1012:45 PM
Tuesday, Dec 1012:45 PM| Comment!
- Lithia Motors (LAD +0.8%) announces it bought a Subaru (FUJHY) store in Walnut Creek, California which has the potential to be one of the largest Subaru sellers in the nation.
- The company now owns five Subaru stores as it backs the automaker to keep its remarkable resurgence in the U.S. moving forward (266K sales in the U.S. in 2011 vs. 384K YTD in 2013).
Tuesday, Dec 107:11 AM|Tuesday, Dec 107:11 AM| 1 Comment
Tuesday, Dec 311:31 AM|Tuesday, Dec 311:31 AM| Comment!
Monday, Dec 211:38 AM
Monday, Dec 211:38 AM| Comment!
- Japanese automakers (NSANY, TM, HMC, MZDAY, SZKMY, FUJHY) appear to be largely unaffected by the ratcheting up of rhetoric by politicians in Beijing and Tokyo over an island territory dispute.
- The group delivered 89,800 vehicles to China in November to mark a 41% Y/Y increase.
- Related: Dangerous game of chicken playing out in Chinese airspace
Friday, Nov 299:28 AM
Friday, Nov 299:28 AM| Comment!
- Chevrolet (GM) and Volkswagen (VLKAY) will take a page out of Subaru's (FUJHY) playbook by pursuing consumers living the "active" lifestyles with new AWD models.
- Subaru has seen soaring sales in the U.S. as the automaker has become closely associated with offering vehicles capable of lugging around camping gear and surfboards.The popularity of those features has helped to support pricing.
- The new Chevrolet Colorado and Volkswagen Jetta SportsWagen will both tip toward the sporty side with their own features and marketing campaigns.
Monday, Nov 2510:48 AM
Monday, Nov 2510:48 AM| 1 Comment
- The attention of the automobile industry shifts this week from the L.A. Auto Show to the Tokyo Motor Show with hydrogen fuel cell technology expected to be a major focus.
- Japanese automakers (NSANY, TM, HMC, MZDAY, SZKMY, FUJHY) will get to strut their stuff on their home turf and justify their lofty global sales targets.
- A weaker yen and major production increases in North America make a compelling case that shares of the group might be as attractive as their Detroit counterparts (F, GM, FIATY).
Saturday, Nov 2311:45 AM
Saturday, Nov 2311:45 AM| 28 Comments
- The L.A. Auto Show hit full stride with global automakers tipping off plans to ramp up production and designs to take advantage of the North American demand boom.
- Honda (HMC), Toyota (TM), and Hyundai (HYMLF) pounded home the commitment they will make to hydrogen fuel cells. This is no flux capacitor chatter. All three plan to invest to have fuel cell models on the U.S. market within two years, although details on charging station infrastructure are sketchy.
- General Motors (GM) was the talk of the town as the Chevy Colorado truck impressed analysts mightily and looks set to give challengers from Nissan and Toyota a run for their money.
- BMW (BAMXY), Porsche (VLKAY, POAHF), and Mercedes-Benz (DDAIF) all have big plans for the luxury market, while Kia enters the segment as a darkhorse with the K900. Kia?
- On the zero-emission front, Honda was full of swagger by landing a major green award for the new hybrid Honda Accord on gaudy fuel economy ratings.
- Automakers to watch: Subaru (FUJHY) and Chrysler (FIATY) look well-positioned for 2014 market share gains. Tesla (TSLA) CEO Elon Musk is off monitoring his latest Space X rocket, while the Tesla debate gets even livelier on SA.
Tuesday, Nov 199:22 AM|Tuesday, Nov 199:22 AM| Comment!
Thursday, Nov 142:21 PM|Thursday, Nov 142:21 PM| Comment!
Friday, Nov 112:23 PM|Friday, Nov 112:23 PM| Comment!
Thursday, Oct 317:46 AM|Thursday, Oct 317:46 AM| Comment!
Tuesday, Oct 12:00 PM|Tuesday, Oct 12:00 PM| Comment!
Monday, Sep 301:14 PM
Monday, Sep 301:14 PM| 1 Comment
- Auto sales in the U.S. are expected to post the first year-over-year decline in 28 months, but the industry is far from panicked.
- A calendar quirk had the Labor Day weekend included in sales tallies for August and September will have two fewer selling days than a year ago.
- Kelley Blue Book projects a seasonal adjusted selling rate of 15.2M units for the month.
- What to watch: A far better tell on the direction of U.S. auto sales is the steady stream of reports of vehicle shortages due to hot demand.
- Related stocks: GM, F, TM, FIATY.PK, HMC, NSANY.OB, TSLA, VLKAY.PK, DDAIF.PK, HYMLF.PK, BAMXY.PK, KIMTF.PK, VOLVY.PK, MZDAY.PK, MMTOF.PK, FUJHY.PK, FUJHF.PK
- Related ETFs: CARZ, VROM
Thursday, Sep 262:43 PM
Thursday, Sep 262:43 PM| 9 Comments
- Nine companies based in Japan and two executives agree to plead guilty and to pay a combined $740M in fines for their roles in conspiracies to fix the prices of auto parts sold to U.S. car manufacturers, the Department of Justice says.
- The DoJ says price-fixed automobile parts were sold to GM, Ford (F) and Chrysler (FIATY.PK), as well as to U.S. subsidiaries of Honda (HMC), Mazda (MZDAF.PK, MZDAY.PK), Mitsubishi (MMTOF.PK), Nissan (NSANY.OB), Toyota (TM) and Subaru (FUJHY.PK, FUJHF.PK).
- Among the parts affected by the conspiracies were seat belts, radiators, windshield wipers, air conditioning systems, power window motors and power steering components.
Wednesday, Sep 256:39 AM
Wednesday, Sep 256:39 AM| Comment!
- Japanese automakers (NSANY.OB, TM, HMC, MZDAY.PK, SZKMY.PK, FUJHY.PK) report lower production numbers in Japan for August as government policy continues to have a strong impact on the industry.
- Analysts think demand could pick back up in front of a planned sales tax hike scheduled for next April, but then remain subdued again with the sales tax set to go as high as 10%.