Nov. 3, 2014, 8:10 AM
Aug. 4, 2014, 8:06 AM
May. 6, 2014, 8:20 AM
Mar. 26, 2014, 3:38 PM
- Analysts say rare earth elements will continue to fall this year after China loses a trade dispute over its export controls, as new mines boost output and while demand in high tech products disappoints.
- A price war could break out after the U.S., EU and Japan won their case over export restrictions they said gave Chinese companies an unfair competitive edge in key sectors, says Ryan Castilloux of Adamas Intelligence; China's "only tangible defense becomes competing head-to-head on price with emerging global producers."
- Investors already are concerned about excess supply as Molycorp (MCP -3%) and Lynas (LYSCF -12.5%) boost output at their new mines; MCP aims to boost output to 20K metric tons/year after producing ~1K metric tons in Q4 2013.
- Also: REE -0.6%, AVL -2.4%, GMO -3.7%.
Mar. 12, 2014, 7:08 AM
Dec. 26, 2013, 12:45 PM
Dec. 5, 2013, 10:49 AM
- General Moly (GMO +7.9%) forecasts operating costs for its Mt. Hope projec; GMO expects direct operating costs over the first full five years of operation to average $6.28/lb. and costs applicable to sales to average $7/lb., including anticipated royalty payments calculated at $15/lb. of molybdenum, which the company regards as a sustainable long-term price.
- Economics for GMO's 80% ownership in Mt. Hope anticipates an after-tax net present value, discounted at 8%, of $707M and an internal rate of return of 17.6%.
Nov. 13, 2013, 10:05 AM
- Copper futures tumble to their lowest level in more than three months on concerns about the pace of Chinese economic growth; December futures fall more than $0.06 (-2%) to $3.17/lb., hitting their lowest level since late July.
- Copper and other base metals are suffering from rumors that the China will lower its 2014 growth target to 7%, says Commerzbank commodities strategist Eugen Weinberg.
- Meanwhile, China's eagerly awaited Third Plenum offered little support for markets, outlining only vague economic goals.
- ETFs: JJC, CPER, CUPM.
- U.S.-traded copper miners: FCX -0.8%, SCCO -1.8%, TCK, GMO, SVBL, TLR.
Nov. 4, 2013, 8:38 AM
Sep. 10, 2013, 2:30 PM
- General Moly (GMO -5.5%) shares slide after the development stage molybdenum miner last night announced a cost cutting program including pay cuts for the CEO and board members.
- GMO says the move is aimed at preserving liquidity while pursuing financing options for the Mt. Hope Project; it will continue to maintain its permits and preserve the capacity to restart engineering, procurement and construction at Mt. Hope after completing full project financing.
Aug. 2, 2013, 8:49 AM
Jul. 28, 2013, 2:27 PM
- BHP Billiton (BHP) is betting strong returns from its copper business, even though copper prices are unlikely to rise in the near term, CEO Andrew Mackenzie says in an interview today.
- The China shift to a consumer-led economy from a construction-led economy will reduce demand, but it might not be as bad as had been thought. "I don't like to comment on prices, but we have to prepare for a copper outlook around the current price, or perhaps a bit lower, that is around $3 per pound," he says.
- Copper ETFs: JJC, CPER, CUPM
- U.S.-traded copper miners: SCCO, FCX, TCK, GMO, SVBL, TLR
May. 3, 2013, 8:49 AM
Mar. 21, 2013, 6:33 PM
Mar. 21, 2013, 12:57 PM
Mar. 20, 2013, 5:39 PM
GMO vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR