Sep. 17, 2014, 10:04 AM
- Lennar's sizable earnings beat included a 23% gain in new orders - a strong result given the slowdown seen from some other builders.
- Previously: Lennar up 4.3% after reporting big quarter
- ETFs: ITB +2.6%, XHB +1.8%
- Individual players: Ryland (RYL +4.8%) Pulte (PHM +3.8%), Toll Bros. (TOL +3.2%), D.R. Horton (DHI +4%), Hovnanian (HOV +5.8%), KB Home (KBH +4.4%), Comstock (CHCI +4.2%), Standard Pacific (SPF +3.8%).
Sep. 4, 2014, 9:48 AM
- Net income of $17.1M, or $0.11 per share vs. $8.5M, or $0.06 per share in the prior year's third quarter.
- Deliveries, including unconsolidated joint ventures increased 3.1% to 1,549 homes vs. 1,502 in the fiscal 2013 third quarter.
- Consolidated active selling communities increased 5.4% to 196 communities vs. 186 at July 31, 2013.
- Consolidated net contracts decreased 6.3% to 1,357 homes vs. 1,448 homes in last year's third quarter.
- FQ3 results
Sep. 4, 2014, 9:19 AM
Sep. 3, 2014, 5:30 PM
Sep. 3, 2014, 10:16 AM
- The homebuilders are lower in early action following Toll Brothers beating earnings estimates, but expressing caution on pricing power, and cutting guidance for full-year home deliveries.
- ITB -0.8%, XHB -0.5%.
- Individual names: Hovnanian (HOV -0.9%), Lennar (LEN -1.5%), KB Home (KBH -1.8%), PulteGroup (PHM -1.4%), D.R. Horton (DHI -1.1%), Ryland (RYL -1.5%), NVR (NVR -1.1%), Standard Pacific (SPF -1.1%).
Aug. 19, 2014, 10:31 AM
- A far-faster-than-expected 15.7% gain in housing starts in July has the homebuilders sharply higher. Lenner (LEN +2.6%), Comstock (CHCI +5.8%), Ryland (RYL +2.4%), Hovnanian (HOV +3.2%), D.R. Horton (DHI +2.1%), Toll Bros. (TOL +1.4%), PulteGroup (PHM +1.1%), KB Home (KBH +1.9%).
- Commenting on the number, Bill McBride notes starts in Q1 averaged 925K on a seasonally-adjusted annualized rate, 997K in Q2, and that Q3 appears to be off to a solid start (1.093M in July). By year's end, McBride expects 2014 housing starts to increase by a double-digit pace over a weak 2013.
Aug. 6, 2014, 10:24 AM
- Hovnanian (HOV +0.8%) says it is now entering the Charleston, South Carolina market and plans on building a K. Hovnanian's ® Four Seasons at the Lakes of Cane Bay.
- The new community will be a private gated community featuring over 800 energy efficient homes.
- Many K. Hovnanian's® Four Seasons active adult communities are scattered nationwide, but this will be the company's first active adult community in South Carolina.
Jul. 24, 2014, 10:09 AM
- The ITB is lower by 1.5% and the XHB by 0.7% with earlier earnings misses from Pulte (PHM -1.5%) and D.R. Horton (DHI -5%). and just-released disappointing new home sales data weighing. Also reporting this morning was M/I Homes (MHO -3.2%), and that company beat estimates.
- June single-family new home sales of 406K fell 8.1% from May's rate of 442K (which was revised down from 504K). Expectations for June sales were 479K.
- The supply of new homes rises to 5.8 months at June's sales pace from 5.2 months previously.
- Other names: Lennar (LEN -1.6%), Ryland (RYL -2.3%), Standard Pacific (SPF -2%), Hovnanian (HOV -0.9%), Toll Brothers (TOL -2.2%).
Jun. 24, 2014, 10:09 AM
- May's adjusted annual pace of 504K new home sales is the fastest print in six years. The number is 18.6% above April's pace and 16.9% higher than a year ago. The supply of new homes on the market at the current sales pace dropped to 4.5 months worth from 5.3 months in April.
- Sales in the Northeast jumped to 34K from 22K in April, and those in the West to 130K from 97K.
- Full report
- Homebuilder ETFs: ITB +1.2%, XHB +0.7%.
- Toll Bros. (TOL +1.2%), Lennar (LEN +1.4%), D.R. Horton (DHI +1.7%), KB Home (KBH +1.7%), Hovnanian (HOV +1.3%), PulteGroup (PHM +1.3%)
- Previously: New home sales soar past estimates
Jun. 20, 2014, 10:38 AM
- The averages are nudging higher, but not the homebuilder names after Owens Corning cuts 2014 guidance on continued weakness in its roofing business.
- Soft action in Q1 continued through April and May, says the company, which now sees H1 roofing volumes as much as 20% lower than 2013. Owens still expects H2 to be better, but is less confident of that forecast today than it was a few months ago.
- ETFs: ITB -1.3%, XHB -1.2%
- Toll Bros. (TOL -1.6%), TriPointe Homes (TPH -1.3%), Lennar (LEN -1.6%), Ryland (RYL -1.8%), Hovnanian (HOV -0.9%), PulteGroup (PHM -1.2%), D.R. Horton (DHI -0.8%), Standard Pacific (SPF -1.8%)
Jun. 17, 2014, 9:44 AM
- Hit particularly hard in early action are the homebuilders after May housing starts missed expectations, but a fast CPI print has interest rates higher.
- Previously: Treasury prices slip after fast CPI report
- ETFs: ITB -1.1%, XHB -0.7%
- D.R. Horton (DHI -2.3%), KB Home (KBH -1.3%), Ryland (RYL -1.1%), Toll Brothers (TOL -1.2%), Lennar (LEN -0.7%), Hovnanian (HOV -0.7%)
Jun. 4, 2014, 2:02 PM
- Deliveries of 1,331 homes in FQ2 (down 6.5% Y/Y)
- Gross margin percentage of 20.2% (up 130 basis points)
- Dollar value of net contracts including unconsolidated JVs of $703M (up 1%)
- Number of contracts including unconsolidated JVs of 1,907 homes (down 2.2%)
- Backlog including unconsolidated JVs of 3,032 homes (up 7.3%)
- SG&A expense of $62.4M is 13.9% of total revenue (up 170 basis points)
- Adjusted EBITDA of $32.2M vs. $37.1M a year ago.
- CEO Ara Hovnanian: "Our sales pace during April and May was choppy and the total monthly sales pace per active selling community in both months fell short of last year's levels."
- HOV -0.9%
- Previously: Hovnanian misses by $0.08, misses on revenue
Jun. 4, 2014, 9:19 AM
Jun. 3, 2014, 5:30 PM
May. 28, 2014, 3:01 PM
- Jay McCanless and Annie Worthman at Sterne Agee say without the benefit of a lower tax rate other non-operating boosts, Toll Brothers (TOL +2.1%) would have missed the team's EPS estimate of $0.31 per share. They continue to rate the stock an Underperform with $28 price target.
- The bullish team at MKM Partners note Toll "essentially raised" guidance by boosting the low end of its average expected sale price this year to $690K from $675K. "Given the company’s long build cycle, we suspect that the higher guidance is likely more of a statement on the anticipated mix of closings rather than a signal that prices are being raised more aggressively."
- Amid the big gain by Toll and sharply lower interest rates, some other builders: Hovnanian (HOV +1.7%), Beazer Homes (BZH +1.4%), KB Home (KBH +0.8%), Lennar (LEN +0.2%), PulteGroup (PHM), D.R. Horton (DHI +1.2%).
- ETFs: XHB, ITB, PKB
- Previously: High home prices boost Toll results
- Previously: Toll Brothers beats by $0.09, beats on revenue
Apr. 25, 2014, 4:43 AM
- The amount that lenders originated in mortgage loans plunged 58% on year Q1 to a 14-year low of $235B, almost entirely due to drop in refinancing. The figures are from industry newsletter Inside Mortgage Finance.
- Loans for acquisitions were flat on year and lower than in Q4.
- The trend is the latest indication that increasing interest rates are hampering the housing recovery. The average 30-year fixed-rate mortgage was 4.5% last week, up from 3.6% in May last year, when rates spiked after the Fed indicated it would scale back its QE program.
- Tickers: DHI, PHM, RYL, MHO, NVR, LEN, SPF, MDC, HOV, TOL ORI, NLY, AGNC, MTGE, ARR, TWO, IVR, CMO, MFA, WMC, FMCC, FNMA, RDN, NMIH, ESNT, GNW
- ETFs/ETNs: ITB, XHB, MORT, MORL, REM, MORT, MORT
HOV vs. ETF Alternatives
Hovnanian Enterprises Inc designs, constructs, markets and sells single-family detached homes, attached townhomes and condominiums, urban infill and active adult homes in planned residential developments.
Other News & PR