Tue, Mar. 24, 4:19 PM
- InterDigital's (NASDAQ:IDCC) European unit has been awarded EU funding for 2.5 years of R&D work related to project XHAUL, which aims to "develop a 5G integrated backhaul and fronthaul transport network to flexibly and dynamically interconnect the 5G radio access and core network functions."
- XHAUL aims to cut network total cost of ownership (TCO) by 30%, while also improving network efficiency and lowering latency. InterDigital has already been investing in 5G R&D, with the goal of adding to its 5G patent portfolio. The technology is expected to see large-scale deployments starting around 2020.
Thu, Mar. 12, 11:40 AM
- Ed Kamins, the head of business consulting firm UpFront Advisors, and Gil Amelio, a tech industry vet who ran Apple before Steve Jobs came back, are stepping down from InterDigital's (IDCC +0.2%) board following the company's June annual meeting.
- No successors have been named. Kamins has been on the board since 2003, and Amelio since 2011.
Wed, Mar. 11, 4:28 PM
Fri, Mar. 6, 12:13 PM| Comment!
Wed, Mar. 4, 4:26 PM
- InterDigital (NASDAQ:IDCC) plans to sell $275M worth of senior convertible notes due 2020. Initial purchasers are expected to have a $41M overallotment option.
- $50M of the net proceeds will be used on stock buybacks. Most of the rest will go towards "general corporate purposes," which might include repaying debt.
- The 3G/4G patent owner had $703.9M in cash/short-term investments at the end of Q4, and $220.4M in long-term debt and other long-term liabilities.
- Shares are down just fractionally AH for now.
Thu, Feb. 19, 8:02 AM
Wed, Feb. 18, 5:30 PM| 7 Comments
Wed, Feb. 18, 10:17 AM
- InterDigital (IDCC -1.5%) has slipped amid a report the company's appeal of an adverse ITC ruling for its infringement suit against ZTE and Microsoft's phone unit (formerly Nokia's) has been rejected.
- The 3G/4G patent owner received a favorable ruling in October from a Delaware court for an infringement suit against ZTE. Q4 results arrive tomorrow morning.
- Update (12:40PM): InterDigital has issued a PR confirming the rejection. The company adds its Delaware cases and a separate ITC case feature patents not covered by the decision.
Mon, Jan. 26, 5:41 PM
- InterDigital's (NASDAQ:IDCC) Q4 report arrives before the open on Thursday, Feb. 19. CC at 10AM ET. CC at 10AM ET.
- The 2-analyst consensus is for revenue of $85.9M (-13.8% Y/Y), and EPS of $0.31. Shares +15% since InterDigital posted a Q4 beat on Oct. 30.
- Separately, the company has announced an ITC evidentiary hearing for its infringement case against Nokia and Microsoft has commenced. InterDigital is alleging infringement of two 3G W-CDMA patents, and seeking import bans on infringing hardware.
Dec. 16, 2014, 5:36 PM
- Pres. Obama recently pressed Chinese president Xi Jinping about attempts by Chinese regulators to limit the royalties collected by foreign companies for the use of their IP.
- National Security Council spokesman Patrick Ventrell: "The United States government is concerned that China is using numerous mechanisms, including anti-monopoly law, to lower the value of foreign-owned patents and benefit Chinese firms employing foreign technology ... President Obama raised these concerns."
- Though Obama reportedly didn't mention Qualcomm (NASDAQ:QCOM) by name, it's the only major U.S. company currently subject to a Chinese antitrust probe related to royalty rates.
- While the probe continues, Qualcomm has stated it thinks Chinese licensees are under-reporting sales of royalty-bearing devices, and that some might be holding off on getting licenses. The company's light FY15 guidance had much to do with its Chinese licensing issues.
- The White House's efforts could also have implications for InterDigital (NASDAQ:IDCC), which has seen its own Chinese royalty-collection issues. China's antitrust regulator suspended a probe of InterDigital in May after the company made a series of licensing commitments.
- Prior Qualcomm/China commentary
Dec. 9, 2014, 2:36 PM
- 3G/4G IP licensing firm InterDigital (IDCC +3.6%) and storage adapter card/switch vendor Emulex (ELX +3.6%) have both rallied after presenting at Barclays' Global Technology Conference (webcast).
- InterDigital CEO Bill Merritt and Emulex CEO Jeff Benck each presented at 1:30PM ET. InterDigital is near its 52-week high of $53.50, and up 80% YTD.
Dec. 5, 2014, 4:21 PM
Nov. 13, 2014, 4:58 PM
- InterDigital's (NASDAQ:IDCC) Q4 guidance is above a sole analyst estimate of $73M, and implies a 16% Y/Y revenue drop at its midpoint.
- The guidance assumes $81M-$84M in recurring revenue (up from Q3's $73.2M), and no contribution from InterDigital's Arima arbitration award (received earlier this year).
- IDCC unchanged AH for now.
Oct. 30, 2014, 8:32 AM
Oct. 29, 2014, 5:30 PM
- ABC, ABMD, ACIW, ACOR, ALLE, ALU, AMAG, AMT, ANR, APD, APO, ATK, AUDC, AVP, BCO, BG, BGCP, BLL, BWA, CAH, CARB, CBM, CEVA, CI, CME, CNSL, COP, COR, CRCM, CRNT, CRR, CVI, CVRR, DBD, DFT, DHX, DST, EPD, EXLS, FCH, FCN, FIG, FIS, GBX, GEL, GG, GLOP, GNC, GOV, GTI, GTLS, HAR, HEES, HGG, HST, I, IDA, IDCC, INCY, INGR, IQNT, IRDM, IRM, ITC, IVZ, JCI, K, KCG, KEM, KMT, LAD, LECO, LKQ, LLL, LPLA, LRN, MA, MD, MDC, MDXG, MGM, MMYT, MO, MOD, MOS, MPC, MPLX, MPW, MSCI, MZOR, NEO, NGD, NI, NILE, NOV, NVO, NYT, O, OAK, OCN, ODFL, OXF, PBI, PCRX, PEG, Q, RDEN, RDN, RDS.A, RFP, RGLD, RTIX, SCG, SHOO, SMP, SNAK, SPAR, SSE, STRA, STRZA, SUI, TASR, TEVA, THRM, TRI, TWC, UAN, UPL, USAC, VICL, VNTV, WLT, WST, WWE, XEL
Oct. 28, 2014, 12:11 PM
- InterDigital (NASDAQ:IDCC) has won a Delaware infringement suit against ZTE. ZTE was ruled to be infringing claims in 3 asserted InterDigital patents, and ZTE's attempts to have the claims rejected as invalid (on grounds of obviousness) were rejected.
- Earlier this year, InterDigital saw unfavorable ITC rulings for patents asserted against Nokia and ZTE. Q3 results are due on Thursday.
- The court ruling (.pdf)
- Update: InterDigital has issued a PR.
IDCC vs. ETF Alternatives
InterDigital Inc designs and develops technologies that enable and enhance wireless communications and capabilities. The Company is a contributor of intellectual property to the wireless communications industry.
Other News & PR