- Both hotel franchisors and franchisees experience inflation resistant growth, helping to deliver positive real returns to investors.
- Hotel franchisors exhibit strong competitive advantages and impressive returns on capital, especially amongst market leaders, making a strong case for investing in the sector.
- The hotel industry goes through regular, predictable cycles, which affects the number of guests staying at hotels, the revenue per room, and growth in the number of hotels.
- This market cycle dramatically affects the profits of hotel owners due to their high level of operating leverage, but has a diminished impact on franchisors.
- Many of the top hotel franchisors have reached lofty relative valuations, and would warrant a pullback before purchasing shares, with IHG presenting the best buying opportunity.