Tue, Apr. 21, 10:04 AM
- An earnings miss yesterday by Packaging Corporation of America (PKG -8.3%) is helping to take peers lower.
- The company also issued guidance below the expectations of analysts.
- White paper and containboard pricing is a concern in the sector.
- Previously: Packaging misses by $0.07, misses on revenue (Apr. 20 2015)
- Decliners: Rock-Tenn (NYSE:RKT) -2.6%, International Paper (NYSE:IP) -1.5%, MeadWestvaco (NYSE:MWV) -2.6%, KapStone Paper (NYSE:KS) -2.5%, Clearwater Paper (NYSE:CLW) -1.0%.
Fri, Mar. 6, 2:58 PM
- Domtar (UFS +3.6%) shoots higher following headlines that the company received a favorable ruling from the International Trade Commission in the preliminary phase of anti-dumping and countervailing duty investigations concerning certain uncoated paper from Australia, Brazil, China, Indonesia and Portugal.
- Other paper packaging stocks are lower: IP -0.9%, PKG -1.9%, RKT -1.7%, MWV -1.8%, KS -1.5%.
Wed, Jan. 28, 9:44 AM
- International Paper (NYSE:IP) reports gross margin rate remained constant at 69.1%.
- Segment sales: Industrial packaging: $3.697B (-0.48%); Printing papers: $1.440B (-8.28%); Consumer packaging: $855M (-1.16%).
- Segment operating profit: Industrial packaging: $484M (-0.41%); Printing papers: $155M (+8.39%); Consumer packaging: $55M (+71.88%).
Tue, Jan. 27, 1:20 PM
- Shares of Packaging Corp. of America (PKG -8%) decline after the company missed slightly with its Q4 report and issued disappointing guidance.
- Several sector peers are also lower: KapStone Paper & Packaging (NYSE:KS) -4.7%, Rock-Tenn (NYSE:RKT) -1.6%, International Paper (NYSE:IP) -1.3%.
- Yesterday, the sector was all smiles off M&A buzz.
Mon, Jan. 26, 9:52 AM
- A mega-merger in the paper industry between Rock-Tenn and MeadWestvaco has lifted other names in the sector fighting a tough tape.
- The delicate balance of pricing in the containerboard/packaging/paper sector is viewed as more stable with two giants combining.
- Advancers: Packaging Corp. of America (NYSE:PKG) +1.4%, International Paper (NYSE:IP) +0.7%, KapStone Paper and Packaging (NYSE:KS) +2.8%, Clearwater Paper (NYSE:CLW) +0.2%, Wausau Paper (NYSE:WPP) +0.1%, Orchids Paper Products (NYSEMKT:TIS) +0.3%.
- Previously: Rock-Tenn and MeadWestvaco up on paper
- Previously: Rock-Tenn and MeadWestvaco to merge
Sep. 11, 2014, 11:05 AM
- Presenting at the UBS Global Paper and Forest Products Conference this morning, International Paper (IP +2.5%) management says it's moved from a study phase on possible conversion to an MLP structure to a "more serious evaluation phase."
- At the same conference, KapStone (KS +2%) says it's taking a look at the MLP idea as well.
- Others in the industry also have their tails in the air: Rock-Tenn (RKT +2.2%), Packaging Corp. (PKG +1.3%), MeadWestvaco (MWV +1.9%).
- International Paper Tuesday night boosted its quarterly payout by 14% to $0.40 per share. The dividend is payable on Dec. 15 to holders of record on Nov. 17. The annualized yield is 3.2%.
Jul. 24, 2014, 2:04 PM
- Paper and containerboard stocks are notably strong as Perry Capital comes out positive on the group, citing a PWC study regarding the potential for MLP conversion.
- Perry believes managements can create master limited partnerships for their paper mills to drive share upside potential of 50%-100%, the fund firm says in its Q2 letter.
- CLW +12.4%, KS +9.7%, RKT +8.9%, IP +5.3%, PKG +4.8%.
Sep. 27, 2013, 9:58 AM| Comment!
Sep. 16, 2013, 1:12 PM
- The sweet premium that Packaging Corporation decided to pay for Boise is helping to lift the share price of peers across sector.
- Consolidation across the sector is seen as necessary by some analysts with paper and containerboard demand soft.
- Advancers: RKT +5.6%, IP +1.8%, KS +8.1%, RFP +2.6%, GLT +1.2%.
Jun. 13, 2013, 9:04 AMInternational Paper (IP) +1.9% premarket after Goldman Sachs upgrades shares to Conviction Buy from Neutral with a $55 price target (from $50), citing IP's leverage to containerboard prices, higher free cash flow and a forecast shift in capital allocation from debt reduction and M&A to share buybacks. The firm believes the successfully implemented fall and spring price hikes are sustainable. | Comment!
Apr. 22, 2013, 2:36 PM
Apr. 16, 2013, 11:13 AMContainerboard stocks rally after Macquarie turns bullish on the sector with the fundamentals improving and more price hikes expected in the back half of the year. International Paper (IP +3.6%), KapStone Paper & Packaging (KS +3.8%), and Rock-Tenn (RKT +3.3%) are tagged as the firm's favorite names in the group. | Comment!
Feb. 27, 2013, 2:38 PM
Dec. 13, 2012, 9:27 AMInternational Paper (IP) agrees to sell its Temple-Inland Building Product division to Georgia-Pacific for $750M in a deal expected to close in the first quarter of 2013. Assets turned over will include 16 manufacturing facilities across eight states. The company plans to use the funds kicked up from the sale to reduce debt. IP +1.7% premarket. | Comment!
Nov. 5, 2012, 2:13 PMRock-Tenn (RKT -1.4%) is downgraded to Neutral at J.P. Morgan as the most levered stock to potential containerboard price increases among paper and packaging stocks, and the impact of the most recent increase is reflected in the shares. IP -1.8%, KS -0.5%, PKG -0.3%. However, Wausau Paper (WPP +2.4%) is a notable outlier after 10% stakeholder Starboard Value Funds buys 75K shares. | Comment!
Oct. 25, 2012, 12:43 PMInternational Paper (IP -3.9%) trades lower after coming up short on its Q3 result earlier today. Net profit slid 49% as income was weighed down by costs from its acquisition of rival Temple-Inland and the sale of two containerboard mills in California and one in Tennessee, which stripped about $45M off its bottom line. Separately, the company announces it's formed a joint venture with Grupo Orsa in Brazil in an effort to expand its global footprint. | Comment!
IP vs. ETF Alternatives
International Paper Co produces and distributes printing paper, packaging, forest products, and chemical products. The Company operates in four segments namely industrial packaging; printing papers; consumer packaging, and distribution.
Other News & PR