Nov. 4, 2014, 4:14 PM
Nov. 3, 2014, 5:35 PM
- ADEP, AMRS, ATVI, AWAY, AXLL, BIO, BIOL, BIRT, CALD, CBSO, CDXS, CERS, CHUY, CKEC, COHR, CORT, COUP, CRTO, CSU, DOX, DVN, ENPH, EXAM, EXEL, FANG, FEYE, FOXA, FRGI, GAS, GHDX, HR, ITRI, IVR, JAZZ, JIVE, JKHY, JMBA, KAR, MITT, MOSY, MPO, MYGN, NP, NRP, NSTG, NYMT, OAS, OCLR, OKE, OKS, PACD, PAYC, PBPB, PCYC, PEGA, PHH, PRI, PXD, PZZA, REGI, REXX, RLOC, RNR, RP, SBAC, SN, SPA, SQNM, TMH, TNET, TRIP, TTGT, TWO, TWOU, TX, UIL, WPX, XEC, XNPT, ZAGG, ZU
Oct. 13, 2014, 4:19 PM
- Both equity and mortgage REITs saw plenty of buying as nearly all of the rest of the market was lit up bright red, and Treasury ETFs signaled a sharp drop in yields when government bonds reopen for trade tomorrow (closed this session for Columbus Day).
- A sampling of equity names: Senior Housing Properties (SNH +1.2%), Medical Properties Trust (MPW +1.4%), Gramercy Property Trust (GPT +1.7%), Equity Residential (EQR +0.7%), Inland Real Estate (IRC +0.9%), Sovran Self Storage (SSS +1.1%), Highwoods Properties Trust (HIW +1%).
- One equity REIT sector in the red along with the rest of the market is lodging amid worsening Ebola fears: Ashford Hospitality Trust (AHT -2.9%), Sunshine Hotel Investors (SHO -1.4%), LaSalle Hotel Properties (LHO -1.5%), Summit Hotel Properties (INN -1.5%).
- Mortgage REITs: American Capital Agency (AGNC +1.4%), CYS Investments (CYS +2.2%), Invesco (IVR +1.1%), American Capital Mortgage (MTGE +1.5%), Western Asset (WMC +1.1%).
- ETFs: IYR, VNQ, REM, MORL, MORT, DRN, URE, REZ, SRS, RWR, SCHH, ICF, ROOF, DRV, KBWY, RTL, REK, FRI, FTY, PSR, IFNA, FNIO, WREI
Sep. 30, 2014, 3:05 PM
- Many in the sector (REM -0.9%) presented today at the JMP Financial Services and Real Estate Conference. Those heard in full by this reporter - CYS Investments (CYS -1.6%), Hatteras Financial (HTS -0.9%), and MFA Financial (MFA -1.3%) - presented nothing alarming, but the sector is nevertheless lit up bright red.
- Other presenters included Capstead Mortgage (CMO -1.2%), Arlington Asset (AI -2.2%), Dynex Capital (DX -1.7%), Invesco (IVR -1.2%), Armour (ARR -2%), New York Mortgage Trust (NYMT -3.2%), Javelin Mortgage (JMI -1.5%), Five Oaks Investment (OAKS -1.9%), and Apollo Residential (AMTG -1.1%).
- Related ETFs: MORT, MORL
- Previously: CYS's Grant not buying hawkish ideas from Fed
- Previously: Hatteras updates on Q3 at conference
- Previously: MFA Financial positions for further housing improvement
Sep. 18, 2014, 1:10 PM
- The entire sector is in the red, but the biggest declines are being seen in the industry giants, about the only spots large investors can move a lot of shares quickly: Annaly Capital (NLY -1.6%), American Capital Agency (AGNC -1.6%).
- Yesterday's FOMC statement may have left in the "considerable period" language, but the committee remains on course to begin a rate hike cycle in less than a year.
- Further, the selloff on the long end of the curve can has reached the sizable stage - the 10-year yield is up 32 basis points in a month, and has now erased about all of the summer's decline. Book values could take a hit (though hedging is likely to ease the pain).
- REM -0.7%
- Other ETFs: MORT, MORL.
- Other names: Armour (ARR -1.3%), Invesco (IVR -0.7%), Hatteras (HTS -3%), Capstead (CMO -0.3%), Western Asset (WMC -0.4%)
Sep. 15, 2014, 4:35 PM| 1 Comment
Sep. 2, 2014, 2:26 PM
- REITs and other so-called "shadow bankers" for the last several years have used captive insurers to join Federal Home Loan Banks, thus getting access to more dependable financing and better terms than they otherwise could.
- The FHFA for some time has voiced its concern over the practice, and under new rules just proposed, would sunset those existing memberships over a five year period.
- ETFs: REM, MORT, MORL
- Two Harbors (TWO -1.8%), Invesco Mortgage (IVR -1.9%), Hatteras Financial (HTS -1.2%), Dynex Capital (DX -1.1%), PennyMac Mortgage (PMT -1.5%), Annaly Capital (NLY -0.8%), American Capital Agency (AGNC -0.3%).
Jul. 29, 2014, 4:23 PM
- Core earnings of $62.1M or $0.50 per share vs. $0.46 in Q1. Dividend is $0.50.
- Book value per share of $19.80 up 6% from Q1. Today's close of $17.27 is a 12.8% discount to book.
- Effective interest margin of 1.2% is off one basis point from Q1.
- MBS makes up $18.3B of portfolio vs. $17.3B at start of year; residential loans $2.3B vs. $1.8B; commercial loans $95.6B vs. $64.6B.
- Conference call at 5 ET
- Previously: Invesco Mortgage Capital beats by $0.02, beats on revenue
- IVR flat AH
Jul. 29, 2014, 4:08 PM| Comment!
Jul. 3, 2014, 9:56 AM
- A few days ago, the 10-year Treasury yield stood at about 2.50%, but it's been on the rise all week and shot up to near 2.7% this morning following the strong jobs print and drop in unemployment to 6.1%. Checking the short end of the curve, Eurodollar futures are selling off as well, and now have baked in more than one rate hike between now and one year from now, and 75 basis points of hikes by the end of 2015.
- Previously: Treasury yields jump, gold slumps after strong jobs print
- Off 1.1% today, Annaly Capital (NLY) is down nearly 5% since this time last week, with a similar move having taken place in American Capital Agency (AGNC -1.2%).
- Chimera (CIM -1.4%), CYS Investments (CYS -1%), Invesco Mortgage (IVR -1.8%), American Capital Mortgage (MTGE -1.6%), New York Mortgage Trust (NYMT -1.2%), AG Mortgage (MITT -1.8%), Ellington Residential (EARN -0.7%), Dynex (DX -0.8%), MFA Financial (MFA -0.9%).
- ETFs: REM, MORT, MORL
Jun. 16, 2014, 4:33 PM| Comment!
May 5, 2014, 7:41 AM
- Core EPS of $0.46 is down a penny from Q4 and stands against the dividend of $0.50.
- Book value per share of $18.53 is up 3.1% from Q4 (after $0.50 dividend), and puts the stock at a 9.5% discount to book.
- Effective net interest margin of 1.21% is off 14 basis points from Q4.
- Leverage slips to 7x from 7.28x.
- CC at 9 ET
- Source: Press Release
- Previously: Invesco Mortgage Capital misses by $0.03
- IVR no trades premarket
May 5, 2014, 7:31 AM
May 4, 2014, 5:30 PM
Apr. 25, 2014, 4:43 AM
- The amount that lenders originated in mortgage loans plunged 58% on year Q1 to a 14-year low of $235B, almost entirely due to drop in refinancing. The figures are from industry newsletter Inside Mortgage Finance.
- Loans for acquisitions were flat on year and lower than in Q4.
- The trend is the latest indication that increasing interest rates are hampering the housing recovery. The average 30-year fixed-rate mortgage was 4.5% last week, up from 3.6% in May last year, when rates spiked after the Fed indicated it would scale back its QE program.
- Tickers: DHI, PHM, RYL, MHO, NVR, LEN, SPF, MDC, HOV, TOL ORI, NLY, AGNC, MTGE, ARR, TWO, IVR, CMO, MFA, WMC, FMCC, FNMA, RDN, NMIH, ESNT, GNW
- ETFs/ETNs: ITB, XHB, MORT, MORL, REM, MORT, MORT
Apr. 24, 2014, 10:36 AM
- A check of the mortgage REITs (REM +0.1%) finds not a lot going on stock price-wise following the first Q1 earnings reports from the sector this week (CYS Investments and Hatteras). As expected, book values grew and prepayments remained at a low level.
- Perhaps unexpected was a good deal of caution from CYS management about mortgage prices - right now, it's finding better value in Treasurys, and awaits a pullback in MBS prices before boosting those holdings. "The mortgage market is a little kid playing with matches," said CEO Kevin Grant on the earnings call (transcript). "We just don't know when everybody's fingers are going to get burnt. The traders that play in this market, they know this and they know they are playing with matches."
- Amid the low supply of MBS out there, Hatteras (HTS +0.1%) management on its call (transcript) says it now has 10 originators delivering wholesale product to the company covering more than half of monthly cash flow needs. Up next is expansion into jumbo ARMs.
- Other sector ETFs: MORT, MORL
- Individual names: Annaly (NLY +0.6%), American Capital (AGNC +0.7%), (MTGE +0.2%), Armour (ARR +0.1%), Two Harbors (TWO -0.6%), Invesco (IVR -0.1%), Capstead (CMO +0.3%), MFA Financial (MFA +0.1%), Western Asset (WMC +0.5%).
IVR vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR