From other sites
at Zacks.com (Nov 4, 2014)
at MarketWatch.com (Apr 23, 2014)
at MarketWatch.com (Apr 1, 2014)
at MarketWatch.com (Jul 3, 2013)
at MarketWatch.com (Apr 5, 2013)
at Fox Business (Oct 19, 2012)
at MarketWatch.com (Oct 5, 2012)
at Fox Business (Sep 21, 2012)
at CNBC.com (Mar 22, 2012)
at MarketWatch.com (Apr 5, 2011)
There are no Transcripts on IYW.
Mon, Oct. 13, 12:53 PM
- Though considering tech stocks "somewhat overvalued," famed VC/PayPal co-founder Peter Thiel thinks the problem pales when compared with a bond/fixed-income bubble "of massive size." (video)
- Thiel: "Tech investors always overrate growth and always underrate durability ... 75%-80% of the value of these companies exists a decade or more in the future ... You can measure growth, but you can't measure durability."
- Thiel also reiterates his view that Alibaba (BABA -0.1%), like other Chinese Internet names, is a political entity. "You're betting on Jack Ma staying in the good graces of the Communist Party."
- He's a fan of the eBay/PayPal (EBAY -1%) split, but disagrees with Carl Icahn's call for PayPal to go on an acquisition spree. "I think mergers only make sense when there are real synergies .. and it's not obvious what the synergy between PayPal and any other business would be at this point."
- GSV Capital (GSVC +1%) might be disappointed to hear Thiel state he thinks "it's going to be a while" before analytics software vendor Palantir (co-founded by Thiel) goes public. Palantir, valued at $9B in a late-2013 funding round, made up 11.2% of GSV's net asset value at the end of Q2.
- A cautious stance is shown towards Bitcoin (COIN, OTCQB:BTCS). "I think it's worked on the level of a currency ... but it's not yet worked on the level of a payments system, and you need to get the payments system to work."
- As data breaches pile up, Thiel expects cybersecurity to remain a big problem - "So much commerce is happening on the Internet and we often have no good intuition of how poor the security is." - that needs to be addressed by software. Cybersecurity plays FireEye (FEYE +3.1%) and CyberArk (CYBR +6.5%) are among the high-beta tech names rallying today.
- Tech ETFs: XLK, VGT, TECL, IYW, ROM, TDIV, TECS, IGM, RYT, QTEC, PSCT, FTEC, FXL, REW, MTK, PTF
Tue, Apr. 15, 1:49 PM
- While broader equity markets are only seeing modest declines, tech stocks aren't so lucky. The Nasdaq-100 (QQQ -0.8%) had its lowest print since October this morning before recovering slightly.
- Chinese tech stocks (KWEB -4.3%), including 2013 solar high-flyers (TAN -4.2%), are especially hard-hit following a Shanghai selloff triggered by PBOC withdrawals. Other Internet (PNQI -2.3%) and social media (SOCL -2%) stocks aren't faring much better.
- Will earnings season come to the rescue? Intel and Yahoo report after the bell today, and Google and IBM after the bell tomorrow.
- Tech ETFs: XLK, VGT, FDN, ROBO, SOXL, SKYY, TECL, USD, SMH, IPK, IYW, ROM, TDIV, SOXS, SOXX, KWT, TECS, XSD, IXN, IGV, FTEC, RYT, IGM, PXN, QTEC, PSCT, FXL, IGN, PSI, SSG, MTK, REW, PXQ, XSW, FONE, PSJ, AAIT, PTF, CQQQ, QQQC
- Update: Tech stocks rallied in the final hours of trading. The Nasdaq closed up 0.3%.
Jul. 19, 2012, 12:11 PMIf there's a theme to Q2 tech earnings reports so far, it's "good enough." Just as several large-caps have rallied on so-so results, beaten-down telecom equipment and optical component names are rallying on Verizon's guidance for "flat to down" 2012 capex - some feared worse guidance in light of recent warnings. CIEN +5%. ALU +6.9%. JDSU +2%. FNSR +3%. JNPR +2.8%. Nomura sees Verizon's comments about 40G/100G optical investments as a positive for Juniper and Ciena. | Comment!
IYW vs. ETF Alternatives
The iShares Dow Jones U.S. Technology Sector Index Fund seeks investment results that correspond generally to the price and yield performance, before fees and expenses, of the largest public companies in the technology sector of the U.S. market, as represented by the Dow Jones U.S. Technology Index.
See more details on sponsor's website
See more details on sponsor's website
Other News & PR