Dec. 1, 2014, 7:50 AM
- Comscore estimates e-commerce spending rose 32% on Thanksgiving Day to $1.01B and 26% on Black Friday to $1.51B.
- Most retail analysts are sticking with their forecast for 4.0%-4.5% growth for holiday sales this year, with early shopping and e-commerce making up for a dip in store traffic on Black Friday.
- Apparel sellers in particular came out with a stronger online push this year.
- Related stocks: OTCPK:AMZZ, EBAY, AEO, ANF, JCP, JNY, JWN, KSS, LB, M, URBN, PSUN, BKE, WTSL, GPS, FDX, UPS, DKS, BBY, LULU, KATE, VRA, SPLS.
Sep. 24, 2014, 8:13 AM
- Retail sales could increase by 4.5% to $986B this holiday season on an improved macroeconomic backdrop, forecasts Deloitte Touche.
- The mark would easily top last year's 2.8% rise.
- Online sales are tipped to rise by 14%.
- Promotional activity across broad retail has been dialed back a touch during the back-to-school season, but is still a risk to margins heading into the crucial shopping period.
- What to watch: This holiday season could be an operational pressure cooker for UPS (NYSE:UPS) and FedEx (NYSE:FDX) with demand expected to be high.
- Related stocks: AAP, AEO, ANF, BBBY, BBY, BJ, CHS, COH, COST, DG, FDO, FL, GPS, JCP, JNY, JWN, KSS, LB, LULU, M, NDN, PIR, RL, TGT, TIF, TJX, UA, URBN, VFC, WMT, ZLC, PERY, SQBG, VNCE, KORS, GIII, KATE, GIL, VRA, ICON, PSMT, AMZN.
- Related ETFs: XLY, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, IYK, FXD, FDIS, PMR, UGE, RCD, SZK
Sep. 18, 2014, 10:44 AM
- Uniqlo (OTCPK:FRCOY) aims to have 39 stores up and running in the U.S. by the middle of November as it builds out its fast-fashion brand with consumers.
- The company has a goal to have 200 stores in the U.S. by 2020.
- What to watch Though traditional rivals for Uniqlo include Zara (OTCPK:IDEXY), Hennes & Mauritz (OTCPK:HMRZF), and Gap (NYSE:GPS) - an explosive growth run by Uniqlo could threaten clothing chains (AEO, ARO, ANF, PSUN, ZUMZ, EXPR, BKE, URBN, WTSL, JNY, CACH, CATO, BEBE, TLYS) up and down the retail sector over the longer term.
Aug. 26, 2014, 1:48 PM
- Retail sales were strong across the sector, according to ICSC.
- Wholesale clubs (COST, PSMT, WMT), dollar stores (DLTR, DG, FDO), and apparel sellers (AAP, AEO, ANF, JCP, JNY, JWN, KSS, LB, M, URBN, PSUN, BKE, WTSL, GPS) all tracked strong for the week.
- Sales for the month are forecast to rise 4% to 5%, compared to last year's 3.6% rise.
Feb. 10, 2014, 8:14 AM
Dec. 20, 2013, 10:28 AM
- Jones Group (JNY +4.8%) has officially been acquired by P-E firm Sycamore Partners for $15.00 per share in a $2.2B deal.
- The transaction is expected to close in Q2 of 2014.
- Shares of The Jones Group have been active ever since reports on the buyout first filtered out earlier in the month.
- Sycamore-JNY timeline
Dec. 18, 2013, 11:16 AM| Dec. 18, 2013, 11:16 AM | 1 Comment
Dec. 12, 2013, 3:36 PM
Dec. 10, 2013, 3:07 PM
Nov. 8, 2013, 11:12 AM
- Some retail analysts aren't getting giddy about the powerful sales reports turned in by Gap and L Brands.
- Though management of both firms pushed the right levers to cut costs and drive sales with promotions, the gambit could run its course with underlying sales trends weak, warn skeptics.
- The other side of the argument is that Gap and L Brands won market share at the expense of downtrodden mall rivals that failed to see their promotions click. The pair are also well-positioned to take advantage of the trend toward e-commerce shopping in apparel.
- Related stocks: AAP, AEO, ANF, JCP, JNY, JWN, KSS, LTD, M, URBN, PSUN, BKE, WTSL, GPS.
Oct. 30, 2013, 7:12 AM
Oct. 30, 2013, 12:05 AM| Oct. 30, 2013, 12:05 AM | Comment!
Oct. 29, 2013, 5:30 PM| Oct. 29, 2013, 5:30 PM | 1 Comment
Sep. 26, 2013, 3:44 PM
- KKR (KKR +2.2%) has withdrawn from the bidding process for Jones Group (JNY -5.3%), Reuters reports, raising questions over the prospects of the auction for the fashion and footwear company.
- KKR, which had teamed up with Sycamore Partners, was believed to be the only party vying to buy the whole company; it's not clear whether Sycamore will remain in the sale process.
Sep. 24, 2013, 11:18 AM| Sep. 24, 2013, 11:18 AM | Comment!
Sep. 24, 2013, 9:14 AM
Other News & PR