Yesterday, 9:12 AM
Yesterday, 8:42 AM
- Kate Spade (NYSE:KATE) issues preliminary results for full-year 2014.
- A sales pop of over 40% to $1.13B-$1.14b expected.
- Adjusted EBITDA of $145M-$150M forecast.
- 2015 guidance: Net sales in a range of $1.2B-$1.275B; direct comp sales growth in high single digits; adjusted EBITDA of $185M-$200M.
- Brand reset: The company says it will roll the Kate Spade Saturday brand into Kate Spade New York and give new marching orders to Jack Spade.
- Previously: Kate Spade sets strategy in China
- KATE +7.6% to $32.07 premarket.
Fri, Jan. 9, 11:04 AM
- Another tough day for luxury retail stocks as more concerns on pricing trends build up.
- Consulting firm Bain isn't helping sentiment, noting the luxury sector in China showed negative growth (-1%) for the first time in 2014. An ongoing crackdown by Beijing on corruption is in the background.
- Michael Kors (KORS -1.7%), Ralph Lauren (RL -2%), Kate Spade (KATE -3.2%), Fossil (FOSL -1%), Vera Bradley (VRA -2%), and Coach (COH -2.2%) are all under-performing market averages.
- Related stocks: OTCPK:LVMUY, OTC:GUCG, OTCPK:SWGAY, OTCPK:BURBY, EL, RDEN, OTCPK:HESAF, OTCPK:CFRUY, TIF.
- Related ETFs: PEJ.
Tue, Jan. 6, 9:52 AM
- Kate Spade (KATE -3.3%) trades lower on a day with a healthy dose of handbag news.
- Coach made a diversification play with an acquisition of luxury shoe brand Stuart Weitzman.
- The development could position Coach to compete more directly with Kate.
- Also of note for KS investors, a channel check on Michael Kors showed a high level of promotional activity.
Nov. 6, 2014, 12:47 PM
Nov. 6, 2014, 9:14 AM
- Gainers: PLNR +74%. PESI +24%. SWIR +20%. MEET +13%. RVLT +11%. COT +11%. DATA +11%. ACAS +10%. NDLS +9%. KATE +8%. KATE +8%. WFM +9%. HZNP +6%. CECO +6%. DRYS +5%. TRUE +5%.
- Losers: AEZS -51%. SZYM -47%. SNMX -26%. GNW -24%. WWWW -22%. CSOD -19%. PHMD -17%. GERN -14%. MCP -12%. GNRC -11%. WAC -9%. QCOM -7%. Z -7%. PBR -5%.
Aug. 12, 2014, 12:45 PM
Aug. 12, 2014, 11:57 AM
- The bottom just fell out of Kate Spade (KATE -18.8%) this morning after shares had run up a tidy 7% post-earnings gain.
- During the firm's earnings call, execs said they "might" push out long-term guidance by a year.
- That ambiguity by management and the heavy hand of short-minded traders appear to be swinging momentum.
- Volume on KATE is already 10X normal activity.
- Earnings call webcast
Aug. 12, 2014, 10:28 AM
- Shares of Kate Spade (KATE +7.3%) carve out a new multi-year high after a bustling Q2 report and a bump in guidance.
- The retailer almost doubled up the street estimate for comp growth with its 30.4% mark.
- What to watch: Some retail analysts are wary of the heavy level of markdowns and margin compression that Kate Spade had to endure to achieve its sales pop. If the brand slips out of the affordable luxury category, they note that working its way back up could be difficult.
Aug. 12, 2014, 9:06 AM
- Kate Spade (NYSE:KATE) reports comparable direct-to-consumer sales rose 30.4% in Q2.
- The rate of sales growth for both the Kate Space North America and Kate Spade International segments was over 50% during the period.
- The retailer's gross profit rate fell 320 bps to 58.6% on a shift in mix toward off-price volume.
- KATE +5.8% premarket
Mar. 10, 2014, 5:49 PM
Jan. 10, 2014, 9:13 AM| 8 Comments
Sep. 20, 2013, 5:37 PM
May. 10, 2013, 12:32 PMA number of retailers are seeing some speculative buying after True Religion TRLG lands a takeover offer and Gap puts in a powerhouse month for sales to help lift sentiment. The S&P Retail ETF (XRT) is up 1.1%, but might be doing better on the day if not for its heavy weighting currently into drugstore and grocery stocks. Gainers: FNP +4.1%, JOEZ +2.3%, VFC +1.5%, JNY +1.9%, GES +2.1%, APP +2.2%, BKE +1.5%. | 1 Comment
Apr. 3, 2013, 1:51 PM
Jan. 14, 2013, 12:45 PM
KATE vs. ETF Alternatives
Kate Spade & Co, formerly Fifth & Pacific Companies, Inc., designs and markets accessories and apparel under three global, multichannel lifestyle brands: kate spade new york, Kate Spade Saturday and Jack Spade.
Other News & PR