Jun. 2, 2014, 4:19 PM
- FQ1 operating income of $16.2M (+6.6% Y/Y)
- Store count of 855 (+3.3%)
- Domestic same store sales +2.3%; constant currency international same store sales -2.2%.
- Cash provided by operating activities of $13.7M ($14.4M a year ago).
- Management notes severe weather as same store sales in the Southeast fall 1.5%.
- Full year adjusted EPS guidance is cut to $0.69-$0.74 from $0.73-$0.79.
- CC at 4:30 ET
- Previously: Krispy Kreme Doughnuts EPS in-line, misses on revenue
- KKD -9% AH
Jun. 2, 2014, 4:07 PM
Jun. 2, 2014, 11:34 AM
- Improved traffic at restaurants chains in April helped boost the Restaurant Performance Index monitored by the National Restaurant Association by 0.3% to 101.7.
- The Expectations Index, which measures the six-month outlook for operators, improved 0.2% to 102.2 to mark the highest level for the index in two years.
- Restaurant stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, LUB, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN
Jun. 1, 2014, 5:35 PM
May 30, 2014, 5:36 PM
May 14, 2014, 10:48 AM
May 6, 2014, 1:34 PM
- Restaurant chains saw sales increase at a slightly higher rate last year than sales at independent chains and concepts, according to data from GE Capital.
- The 100 largest chains saw sales grow at a rate of 3.5% vs. the industry average of 3.1%.
- Consumers spent more money per restaurant visit in 2013, but industry-wide same-store sales fell off 0.1% with traffic numbers down.
- For the 6th year in a row, sales at quick-service restaurants rose faster than sales at full-service establishments.
- Restaurant stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, LUB, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN.
Apr. 28, 2014, 2:51 PM
- The restaurant industry is watching with interest a late push by waiters and bartenders in Seattle to drum up support against a proposed $15-per-hour minimum wage law in the state.
- The group fears a minimum wage law hike will significantly lower the level of tips servers receive from customers.
- The big picture: The potential for minimum wage increases - either on a federal level or state by state - has been a hot topic in dissecting restaurant stocks. Some analysts see a significant bottom line pinch as companies have a difficult time passing on the extra costs to consumers in the form of higher prices.
- Related stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, LUB, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN.
Apr. 2, 2014, 1:17 PM
- The National Retail Federation wants Congress to pass the bipartisan Save American Workers Act to amend the Affordable Care Act’s definition of full-time employment from 30 hours per week to 40 hours a week.
- The measure could have important consequences for the restaurant industry.
- Restaurant stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, SONC, WEN, THI, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN
Mar. 31, 2014, 1:40 PM
- The National Restaurant Association's Restaurant Performance Index stood above 100 for the 12th straight month after ending February at 100.5.
- The index dropped 20 bps from the level seen in January. On a year-over-year comparison, the index was 0.6% higher.
- "Looking forward, operators are generally optimistic about sales gains in the months ahead, although they aren’t as bullish about the overall economy," notes the industry association.
- Related stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, BKW, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN.
Mar. 13, 2014, 9:17 AM
Mar. 12, 2014, 5:40 PM
Mar. 12, 2014, 4:37 PM
- Though it missed FQ4 estimates, Krispy Kreme (KKD) is guiding for FY15 (ends Jan. '15) EPS of $0.73-$0.79 vs. a $0.76 consensus.
- The company also forecasts a 10% FY15 store count increase (driven heavily by international franchisee openings), says it aims to "achieve modest organic same store sales growth in its Company shops." A majority of new domestic shops will leverage the company's new free-standing factory shop format.
- Krispy Kreme is upping the size of its buyback authorization by $30M to $80M. $50M is remaining following $9.3M worth of buybacks in FQ4.
- Same-store sales rose 1.6% Y/Y in FQ4 at company stores, down from 3.7% in FQ3. Domestic franchise same-store sales +6.2% vs. +10.7%, international franchisees -3.4% vs. -3.1%. Krispy Kreme blames the international drop on "honeymoon effects" for new store openings, and "cannibalization as markets develop."
- Company stores revenue -9% Y/Y to $74.3M, external supply chain revenue +5% to $28.4M. Franchise revenue rose slightly to $10M.
- Krispy Kreme plans to change its same-store sales methodology. Stores will only be counted after 18 months of operation, up from a current 13.
- FQ4 results, PR
Mar. 12, 2014, 4:10 PM
Mar. 12, 2014, 12:10 AM
Mar. 11, 2014, 5:35 PM
KKD vs. ETF Alternatives
Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Inc is a branded retailer and wholesaler of doughnuts, complementary beverages and treats and packaged sweets. The Companys shops are operated under the trademark doughnuts such as Krispy Kreme and Original Glazed.
Other News & PR