Dec. 13, 2013, 7:51 AM
Dec. 3, 2013, 12:46 PM
Dec. 3, 2013, 9:20 AM
- Shares of Krispy Kreme (KKD) are down 16.3% in pre-market trading after the company's FQ3 results and FY15 guidance failed to live up to sky-high expectations, but Janney Capital's Mark Kalinowski reiterates a Buy rating and $30 PT. He observes "As it turns out, seven domestic franchisees grew their same-store sales by 20% or more."
- Stephens joins Janney on the defense with an Overweight rating and a raised PT to $25. The firm cited across-the-board acceleration despite the quarter's company-owned same store sales miss.
Dec. 2, 2013, 5:44 PM
Dec. 2, 2013, 4:22 PM
- Krispy Kreme (KKD) shares fall 8.6% in AH trading on the back of a one cent EPS beat and miss on the top line in FQ3. The results and subsequent reaction appear thus far to be a deja vu of FQ2, when investors who had priced shares to perfection sent them plunging following a mixed quarter.
- Comparable same store sales rose 3.7% Y/Y, the 12th consecutive quarterly increase, driven "principally by retail price increases."
- Domestic franchise revenue grew 20% to $3M, driven by higher royalties; international franchise revenue was up 3% to $6.2M for the same reason.
- Management bumped its FY2014 EPS range to $0.60-$0.63 from $0.59-$0.63 (vs. analyst consensus of $0.63). FY2015 EPS is seen at $0.71-$0.76 (below consensus of $0.77). KKD expects to open 10-15 company stores, 20-25 domestic franchises, and ~85 international franchises in FY2015.
- Conference call at 4:30 pm ET, PR
Dec. 2, 2013, 4:07 PM
Dec. 2, 2013, 2:14 PM
- National Restaurant Association's Restaurant Performance Index increased 0.7% M/M in October to track at a four-month high.
- Customer traffic improved during the month with more restaurant operators reporting a rise than a drop.
- Pricing in the restaurant sector has held up better than some other discretionary areas where promotional activity has taken over.
- Related stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, CEC, LUB, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN.
Dec. 2, 2013, 12:10 AM
Dec. 1, 2013, 5:35 PM
Nov. 22, 2013, 2:27 PM
Nov. 15, 2013, 10:53 AM
- Futures prices on Robusta coffee showed their biggest gain in 15 months as supply issues cropped up.
- Among other factors, the remnants of Typhoon Haiyan hit key regions of Vietnam with torrential rainfall.
- Robusta coffee prices are still down 22% YTD despite the recent rally.
- In general, mass-market coffee use the Robusta bean variety, while premium sellers use Arabica.
- Related stocks: SBUX via Seattle's Best, GMCR, SJM, KRFT, CBOU, JVA, KKD, NSRGY.
- Related ETFs: JO
Nov. 7, 2013, 7:20 AM
- Arabica coffee prices fell to a five-year low as the harvests in Brazil and Colombia continue to come in bountiful.
- The price on a December Arabica contract fell to $1.031 to mark the lowest level for a most-traded contract since 2008.
- Related stocks: SBUX, GMCR, SJM, KRFT, CBOU, JVA, KKD.
- Related ETFS: JO
Oct. 18, 2013, 3:18 PM
- Restaurant analysts think fast-food chains might be going too far with limited time offerings as consumer interest shows signs of sagging.
- Though particular items such as the Starbucks Pumpkin Latte, Wendy's Pretzel Bacon Cheeseburger, and the timeless McRibs offering from McDonald's are profit drivers, the majority of offerings aren't working.
- Not even the high-profile chicken wing test by McDonald's is moving the meter as consumers find the high prices don't offset the novelty, reports Burger Business.
- Related stocks: DNKN, JACK, SONC, WEN, BKW, KKD, MCD.
Oct. 15, 2013, 8:09 AM
- It's very early in the earnings season, but restaurant operators are 0 for 5 in meeting the Q3 estimates of analysts, observes Hedgeye.
- Domino's Pizza which is considered one of the more resilient chains to consumer spending swings was the latest to swing and miss.
- The sector has been tapped as one of the potential casualties from the government shutdown with family dining operators expected to take the hardest hit.
- Earnings watch: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, BKW, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN
Oct. 8, 2013, 7:48 AM
Oct. 4, 2013, 10:27 AM
- Shares of Krispy Kreme Doughnuts (KKD +4.3%) are now up a double-digit percentage over the last two days without any concrete news of note.
- Unless there is some strong correlation between government workers being idled and doughnut consumption, the best bet is that Krispy Kreme may be working its way back into a status as a momentum favorite with traders.
KKD vs. ETF Alternatives
Krispy Kreme Doughnuts Inc is a branded retailer and wholesaler of doughnuts, complementary beverages and treats and packaged sweets. The Companys shops are operated under the trademark doughnuts such as Krispy Kreme and Original Glazed.
Other News & PR