Sep. 22, 2014, 5:30 PM
Sep. 18, 2014, 3:16 AM
- The Consumer Financial Protection Bureau has put forward a plan to begin supervising the finance units of major car companies, overseeing the 38 largest nonbank lenders in the automotive industry.
- Under the plan, the regulator will scrutinize whether nonbank car-loan providers are discriminating against minorities, using deceptive tactics in marketing loans and following debt-collection laws.
- The new plan would put the finance divisions of major automakers under federal supervision for the first time.
- Related tickers: GM, F, TM, OTCPK:FIATY, HMC, OTCPK:NSANY, TSLA, OTCQX:VLKAY, OTCPK:DDAIF, OTC:HYMLF, OTCPK:BAMXY, KMX
Aug. 18, 2014, 2:47 AM
- Russia may impose restrictions or a ban on vehicle imports from Western countries, if the U.S. and EU impose additional sanctions on Moscow, Reuters reports quoting the Vedomosti.
- The paper says that the proposals have already been sent to Putin for consideration but no decision has been made yet.
- The new ban, however, would not apply to foreign automakers' production inside Russia. Ford (NYSE:F), Volkswagen (OTCQX:VLKAY), Renault (OTC:RNSDF), Toyota (NYSE:TM) and Hyundai (OTC:HYMLF) all have production facilities inside the country.
- Related stocks: AN, KMX, CRMT, GM, OTCPK:FIATY, HMC, OTCPK:NSANY, TSLA, OTCQX:VLKAY, OTCPK:DDAIF, OTCPK:BAMXY, OTCPK:MMTOF, OTC:PEUGF, TTM, OTCPK:FUJHY.
Aug. 18, 2014, 2:25 AM
- Sonic Automotive (NYSE:SAH) will today announce its creation of EchoPark, a chain of preowned-vehicle stores that will challenge used-car retailers such as CarMax (NYSE:KMX) and Asbury Automotive (NYSE:ABG).
- EchoPark is part of Sonic's $350M investment to revamp its approach to selling cars, amid increasing U.S. demand for preowned vehicles.
- As one of the country's largest car-dealer's, Sonic posted $8.8B of sales in 2013.
Aug. 13, 2014, 1:09 PM
- A fall in used car prices in the U.S. could put some pressure on automakers to offer higher incentives to lure in buyers for new vehicles, according to analysts.
- Truecar.com estimates that new-car incentives will push up 11% to $3K per vehicle in the next two years to counterbalance a drop in used car pricing.
- The long-term forecast for the automobile industry is still favorable with most research firms calling for a return to a pre-recession level of volume.
- Related stocks: AN, KMX, CRMT, GM, F, TM, OTCPK:FIATY, HMC, OTCPK:NSANY, TSLA, OTCQX:VLKAY, OTCPK:DDAIF, OTC:HYMLF, OTCPK:BAMXY, OTCPK:MMTOF, OTC:PEUGF, OTC:RNSDF, TTM, OTCPK:FUJHY.
Jul. 18, 2014, 2:43 PM
- Buried inside an economic report from the Richmond Federal Reserve this week is an interesting tidbit on the auto industry.
- As part of its scan of the economic horizon for the Beige Book, the bank noted the massive wave of automobile industry recalls has only had a "slight adverse" impact on sales. Customer traffic was still up and new car sales strong on solid pricing.
- The read from Richmond is consistent with recent U.S. sales reports from major automakers, although with a slight disconnect existing between a "sale" and a "delivery" in the industry the confirmation is noteworthy.
- Chaos theory: Some industry analysts think recalls can actually spur sales as safety is teed up as a consumer issue and older cars replaced.
- Related auto stocks: GM, F, TM, OTCPK:FIATY, HMC, OTCPK:NSANY, TSLA, OTCQX:VLKAY, OTCPK:DDAIF, OTC:HYMLF, OTCPK:BAMXY, TTM, TSLA, AN, KMX, SONC.
Jun. 26, 2014, 1:34 PM
- There's still plenty of cyclical growth left within the U.S. auto market, argues KeyBanc's Brett Hoselton, starting coverage on CarMax (KMX +2.7%) with a Buy and $62 PT.
- Hoselton predicts CarMax will outperform the industry thanks to high off-lease user car sales, the maturing of recently-opened stores, and 15 planned 2015 store openings.
- Auto auction firm KAR (KAR +1.4%) is also higher.
Jun. 24, 2014, 3:44 PM| Comment!
Jun. 20, 2014, 12:45 PM
Jun. 20, 2014, 12:19 PM| Comment!
Jun. 20, 2014, 9:14 AM
Jun. 20, 2014, 7:48 AM| 2 Comments
Jun. 20, 2014, 7:41 AM
Jun. 19, 2014, 5:30 PM
Apr. 28, 2014, 3:56 PM| 2 Comments
Apr. 14, 2014, 11:14 AM
KMX vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR