Dec. 2, 2014, 9:09 AM
- Oppenheimer raises its price target on Kroger (NYSE:KR) to $70.
- Shares of the grocery store operator remain rated by the investment firm at Outperform.
- Kroger has been one of the stronger names in retail as it has beat back competitors ranging from Whole Foods Market to Wal-Mart. Shares are up 51% YTD.
Nov. 19, 2014, 12:56 PM
- R&D is paying off at Kroger (KR -0.1%) with wait times in checkout lines vastly reduced through a mix of new technology and advanced algorithms.
- The grocery store chain uses heat sensing technology to track traffic at store entrances, exits, and checkout lanes and then adjust in real time.
- Execs says the average checkout wait time has gone from a range of 3.5 minutes to 4 minutes down to 30 seconds.
- Kroger's identical-store sales increased 4.6% in Q1 and 4.8% in Q2 as the company defended its market share against Wal-Mart, Target, and other grocers.
- NRF video on the Kroger innovation
Nov. 8, 2014, 9:25 AM
- Energy companies finally are starting to halt a few new U.S. drilling projects as oil prices fall, which Barclays believes may put the U.S. oil boom at risk but "on balance, we believe lower oil prices are good.”
- If strong U.S. energy growth is interrupted, spending in the sector could be cut by $40B, but consumers could save $70B next year as the price at the pump falls for gasoline and diesel, according to Barclays head of U.S. equity strategy Jonathan Glionna.
- The most likely beneficiaries would be discretionary areas such as restaurants, entertainment, apparel, electronics and furniture, he says.
- Glionna lists 27 stocks that could benefit from lower oil prices: AAL, AGCO, AXL, BERY, BLMN, BWLD, CHH, CLX, DE, DPZ, FDX, GM, HD, KMB, KR, KSS, MHK, MMM, PENN, PPG, SAVE, SHW, TGT, UPS, VAL, WMS, WMT.
Oct. 31, 2014, 1:21 PM
- The odds aren't good for a national roll-out of smartphone payments solution CurrentC, according to USA Today's Jeff Graham.
- The retail consortium admitted to a hacking incident earlier this week and has lost momentum with Apple Pay dominating headlines.
- Inside the network, Meijer broke ranks with fellow MCX members by moving to accept Apple Pay with its hardware.
- CurrentC was created to help the retail industry bypass credit card fees.
- Partial list of MCX members: LUV, GPS, DNKN, KR, TGT, WMT, BBBY, KSS, SHLD, WEN, BBY.
Oct. 28, 2014, 11:32 AM
- Redbook notes the timing of Halloween on a Friday is giving a boost to merchandise sales related to the holiday as more consumers prep for parties and celebrations.
- Both Redbook and ICSC's weekly read on retail store sales showed year-over-year improvement with Halloween sales a factor.
- Stores have also been extending their hours to draw in more shoppers.
- Looking for a Halloween boost: DLTR, DG, FDO, KR, SVU, SWY, WMT, TGT, HSY, KRFT, CVS, RAD, WAG, MDLZ.
Oct. 22, 2014, 8:40 AM
- Kroger (NYSE:KR) is tapped by JPMorgan as a Top Pick to go along with an Overweight rating it's had locked in on the stock for most of the year.
- The grocery store's expansion of organic and health product offerings sets it up for higher comps and average ticket prices, say analysts.
- The integration of Harris Teeter is also forecast to pull up margins.
- Shares of Kroger are already up 36% YTD.
Oct. 21, 2014, 3:35 PM
- Kroger (KR -0.1%) has passed the $1B mark in annual sales for the the organic foods category.
- The company reached the milestone only two years after launching The Simple Truth brand.
- Though still only a bit player on Kroger's total revenue, the wider margins for natural and organic products are a positive contributor to margins.
- Jefferies thinks the category could grow to $4B-$5B for the grocery store operator.
Oct. 13, 2014, 3:39 PM
- Kroger (KR -1.6%) settles a federal lawsuit over the marketing of some its its chicken products.
- The grocery store operator agrees to remove the "humanely raised" wording on labels of some Kroger-branded chicken items.
- Other terms of the deal weren't disclosed.
Oct. 6, 2014, 7:57 AM| 25 Comments
Oct. 4, 2014, 4:59 PM
- Shares of Kroger (NYSE:KR) have more than doubled since the beginning of 2013, but Barron's says the stock has 20% upside.
- Kroger has posted 43 consecutive quarters of growth at stores open at least 15 months, impressive in a challenged retail sector. Wal-Mart, for example, has seen same-store sales fall for the last five quarters.
- Kroger is pushing into e-commerce (Vitacost.com deal, Harris Teeter deal), and its app is top 2% in the Apple App Store.
- KR's "Simple Truth" organic and natural foods, launched in 2012, should hit $1B in sales by year-end.
Sep. 23, 2014, 8:10 AM
- Halloween spending by consumers in the U.S. is expected to rise to $11.3B this year, according to an estimate from ICSC.
- Discount stores (DG, DLTR, FDO) and grocery stores (KR, SVU, SWY, WMT, TGT) are expected to keep a lion's share of the costume spend with shoppers indicating price and the ability to touch costumes as the biggest factors in deciding where to shop.
- Halloween is one of the few calendar events where online has stayed more of a bit player with only an estimated 7% share of purchases.
Sep. 22, 2014, 1:16 PM
- Kroger (KR -0.2%) plans to refine the branding of its private labels away from an image of presenting cheap generics, toward convincing consumers that they offer targeted product choices.
- The company makes close to 40% of its in-house products, instead of using outside manufacturers, and has received high marks for quality.
Sep. 18, 2014, 12:36 PM
- Kroger (KR -0.1%) is using a store in Ohio to test a new service for customers to pick up orders placed online.
- The company has leveraged its purchase of Harris Teeter by using some of the technology used by the grocery chain with its online model.
- Kroger hasn't released details on how a click-and-collect service will be priced, but Harris charges $4.95 per order or $99.95 a year for their service.
Sep. 11, 2014, 9:29 AM
- Retail analysts are duly impressed by the 4.8% comp delivered by Kroger (NYSE:KR) in Q2.
- Though there's been plenty of talk about Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT), Target (NYSE:TGT), and even Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) grabbing mass market grocery share - Kroger has put up a steady string of turf-defending quarters.
- KR +2.0% premarket.
Sep. 11, 2014, 9:00 AM| Comment!
Sep. 11, 2014, 8:35 AM
KR vs. ETF Alternatives
Kroger Co operates retail food and drug stores, multi-department stores, jewelry stores, and convenience stores throughout the United States. It also manufactures and processes some of the food for sale in its supermarkets.
Other News & PR