Thu, May 14, 9:47 PM
- Consolidation in the grocery industry could pick up even more, observes Supermarket News.
- A large merger between Albertsons and Safeway (NYSE:SWY) has been followed by talks between Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) and Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY).
- The increased push by Wal-Mart and Target in the sector has added pressure to leverage store growth through M&A.
- "There is mounting pressure in the supermarket industry to consolidate operations to drive better purchasing power and leverage distribution and technology platforms," notes Wolfe Research.
- Kroger (NYSE:KR) is seen as a likely candidate to look for a chain to acquire.
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize confirm merger talks (May 12)
- Grocery stocks: RNDY, SVU, VLGEA, WFM, CASY, IMKTA, OTCPK:PUSH, TFM, SFM, WMK.
Mon, May 11, 10:52 AM
- Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) is up 13.3% after reports on a merger with Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY +3.8%) drove up shares listed in Europe earlier today.
- The talk of industry consolidation has some other U.S. grocery stocks ahead of market averages as well.
- Grocery gainers: Kroger (NYSE:KR) +1.0%, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) +1.2%, Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) +1.0%, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) +1.0%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +0.9%, Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA) +9.8% with earnings also a factor.
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize surge on merger reports
Jul. 2, 2014, 8:10 AM| Comment!
Mar. 7, 2014, 9:20 AM
Jul. 9, 2013, 8:07 AMMore on Kroger (KR) - Harris Teeter (HTSI): The combined grocery operator will have 2,631 supermarkets operating across 34 states with the deal appearing to be focused on squeezing cost savings from the increased scale. Kroger says it will attempt to maintain its 2.00 - 2.20 debt -to-EBITDA ratio after the deal closes by paying down some debt. The narrow 1.8% premium paid to Harris Teeter shareholders is reflective of the 34% runup the stock has seen since the company announced it was exploring strategic alternatives. HTSI +1% premarket to $49.00. | Comment!
Jul. 9, 2013, 7:13 AMMore on Kroger (KR) - Harris Teeter (HTSI): As part of the acquisition, Kroger will assume $100M in outstanding debt but indicates it will continue with its quarterly dividend. The grocery store chain expects to add $0.06 to $0.09 to EPS in accretive value in the first full year after the merger due to the significant cost savings it will churn up. | 1 Comment
Jul. 9, 2013, 7:07 AM
Jan. 6, 2013, 2:45 AMFlowers Foods (FLO) and Mexico's Grupo Bimbo are reportedly set to be the stalking horse bidders for Hostess Brands' bread ops, which the bankrupt company is likely to sell in at least two groups and which could fetch over $350M. Other possible suitors include Wal-Mart (WMT) and Kroger (KR). Wonder Bread, Nature's Pride, Home Pride, Merita and Butternut are among the brands on offer. | 6 Comments
Nov. 9, 2011, 2:03 PM
KR vs. ETF Alternatives
Kroger Co operates retail food and drug stores, multi-department stores, jewelry stores, and convenience stores throughout the United States. It also manufactures and processes some of the food for sale in its supermarkets.
Other News & PR