Dec. 10, 2014, 10:22 AM
- The S&P 500 Retail ETF (NYSEARCA:XRT) is up 0.3% today despite the negative action in the broader market.
- A forecast for sustained lower oil prices is the major reason for the upswing.
- Top 20 XRT holdings showing gains: Limited Brands (LB +0.6%), Whole Foods Markets (WFM +0.4%), Casey's General Stores (CASY +0.3%), Ross Stores (ROST +0.7%), Kroger (KR +0.9%), Advance Auto Parts (AAP +0.4%), Target (TGT +0.4%), Zumiez (ZUMZ +0.3%), CST Brands (CST +1.3%).
Dec. 4, 2014, 8:40 AM
- Kroger (NYSE:KR) reports identical-supermarket sales rose 5.6% in Q3 to extend an impressive streak of 44 straight quarters with a positive comp.
- The company says its FIFO gross margin rate fell 2 bps to 21.24% in the quarter.
- FY14 EPS guidance is raised to $3.32-$3.36 vs. $3.22-$3.28 prior and $3.29 consensus.
- KR +4.0% premarket.
Dec. 4, 2014, 8:32 AM
Jul. 2, 2014, 10:57 AM
- Shares of Vitamin Shoppe (VSI -1.9%) and GNC Holdings (GNC -0.8%) slip lower in what appears to be a reaction to competitive threat posed by the acquisition of Vitacost.com (VITC +27.1%) by Kroger (KR -0.2%).
- Retail analysts think deal looks like a strategic fit for Kroger with the e-commerce platform and linked fulfillment centers form Vitacost giving it plenty of new growth channels.
Jul. 2, 2014, 8:10 AM| Comment!
Jun. 19, 2014, 8:46 AM
Jun. 19, 2014, 8:33 AM
Mar. 7, 2014, 9:20 AM
Mar. 6, 2014, 3:58 PM
- Shares of Kroger (KR -0.6%) are down slightly from their daily highs after the WSJ reports that Cerberus has struck a deal for Safeway at $40 per share.
- Kroger was thought to be more interested in buying pieces of Safeway rather than bid for the whole company.
- Earlier: Kroger's earnings and guidance impress
Mar. 6, 2014, 9:03 AM
- Kroger (KR) reports identical supermarket sales rose 4.3% in Q4, a mark which stands out during a tough weather period.
- The company's gross margin rate showed an 11 bps improvement over last year's period which is another achievement that not everyone in the sector was able to pull off.
- After adding in the impact of Harris Teeter synergies, FY15 EPS guidance is set at $3.14-$3.25 vs. $3.13 consensus.
- Quick analyst take: Kroger management is drawing praise for navigating some choppy water with skill.
- KR +2.8% premarket
Jan. 16, 2014, 5:35 PM
Jan. 6, 2014, 10:14 AM
- Shares of Whole Foods Market (WFM -4%) are down sharply in early trading as grocery stocks start the week off poorly.
- The move appears related in part to worries of lower store traffic and higher logistical costs for grocery store operators due to the recent winter storms in the U.S.
- Decliners: RNDY -2.4%, VLGEA -1.4%, SFM -1.1%, SWY -0.7%, FWM -2.5%, KR -0.4%, SVU -4.2%.
Dec. 5, 2013, 1:35 PM
- A disappointing pace of sales growth from Kroger (KR -1.9%) has fouled the mood on the grocery store sector a bit.
- The company didn't raise its outlook for FY13 EPS as analysts had expected. A miss by the typically-steady Kroger has analysts resetting expectations for the group.
- Decliners: Safeway (SWY) -3.3%, Delhaize Group (DEG) -1.2%, Ingles Markets (IMKTA) -2.4%, Sprouts Farmers Market (SFM) -1.4%, Whole Foods Market (WFM) -0.9%.
Oct. 23, 2013, 9:57 AM| Comment!
Sep. 17, 2013, 9:55 AM
- Grocery store stocks are mild out-performers after Safeway fires up a poison pill to protect itself from an unwanted takeover.
- The group has fallen back in favor with some analysts after the perceived threat that food rivals Wal-Mart and Target would decimate store traffic faded a bit.
- Advancers: Kroger (KR) +1.3%, SuperValue +0.5%, Sprouts Farmers Market (SFM) +1.1%, Whole Foods Market (WFM) +0.8%.
Sep. 12, 2013, 12:32 PM
- Kroger's (KR +2.8%) increase in guidance for FY13 identical superstore sales to 3%-3.5% looks pretty good to retail analysts who fretted over the impact of Wal-Mart and Target on the sector.
- Management has been able to sell margin down with price just enough to keep up traffic and prevent more losses to the firm's big-box rivals.
KR vs. ETF Alternatives
Kroger Co operates retail food and drug stores, multi-department stores, jewelry stores, and convenience stores throughout the United States. It also manufactures and processes some of the food for sale in its supermarkets.
Other News & PR