Mon, May 11, 10:52 AM
- Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) is up 13.3% after reports on a merger with Ahold (OTCQX:AHONY +3.8%) drove up shares listed in Europe earlier today.
- The talk of industry consolidation has some other U.S. grocery stocks ahead of market averages as well.
- Grocery gainers: Kroger (NYSE:KR) +1.0%, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) +1.2%, Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) +1.0%, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) +1.0%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +0.9%, Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA) +9.8% with earnings also a factor.
- Previously: Ahold, Delhaize surge on merger reports
Thu, Mar. 5, 12:44 PM
- Strong reports from Kroger and Delhaize are helping to provide a lift for the grocery store sector.
- Earlier this week, privately-owned Publix reported comparable-store sales rose 6.4% in Q4.
- Comps are on the rise and margin gains are being squeezed out by operators off of the sales leverage.
- Solid gains for the day on strong volume are being seen up and down the group: Kroger (NYSE:KR) +4.9%, Whole Foods Market (NASDAQ:WFM) +1.6%, Supervalu (NYSE:SVU) +1.5%, Delhaize (NYSE:DEG) +3.7%, The Fresh Market (NASDAQ:TFM) +1.2%, Ingles Markets (NASDAQ:IMKTA) +2.3%, Fairway Group (NASDAQ:FWM) +2.6%, Roundy's (NYSE:RNDY) +14.9%.
Thu, Mar. 5, 12:03 PM
- Kroger (KR +5.2%) jets higher on strong volume after another powerful earnings report.
- The company reported identical-supermarket sales rose by 6% (ex-fuel) during the quarter.
- Key acquisitions Harris Teeter and Vitacost also paid off.
- Kroger sees identical-supermarket sales growth of 3% to 4% next year.
- Victory lap: The death-by-Walmart argument that was thrown around on Kroger a few years ago appears to be soundly defeated.
- Shares of Kroger hit an all-time high of $74.32 earlier today.
- Previously: Kroger beats by $0.14, beats on revenue
Thu, Mar. 5, 9:15 AM
Thu, Mar. 5, 8:42 AM
Dec. 10, 2014, 10:22 AM
- The S&P 500 Retail ETF (NYSEARCA:XRT) is up 0.3% today despite the negative action in the broader market.
- A forecast for sustained lower oil prices is the major reason for the upswing.
- Top 20 XRT holdings showing gains: Limited Brands (LB +0.6%), Whole Foods Markets (WFM +0.4%), Casey's General Stores (CASY +0.3%), Ross Stores (ROST +0.7%), Kroger (KR +0.9%), Advance Auto Parts (AAP +0.4%), Target (TGT +0.4%), Zumiez (ZUMZ +0.3%), CST Brands (CST +1.3%).
Dec. 4, 2014, 8:40 AM
- Kroger (NYSE:KR) reports identical-supermarket sales rose 5.6% in Q3 to extend an impressive streak of 44 straight quarters with a positive comp.
- The company says its FIFO gross margin rate fell 2 bps to 21.24% in the quarter.
- FY14 EPS guidance is raised to $3.32-$3.36 vs. $3.22-$3.28 prior and $3.29 consensus.
- KR +4.0% premarket.
Dec. 4, 2014, 8:32 AM
Jul. 2, 2014, 10:57 AM
- Shares of Vitamin Shoppe (VSI -1.9%) and GNC Holdings (GNC -0.8%) slip lower in what appears to be a reaction to competitive threat posed by the acquisition of Vitacost.com (VITC +27.1%) by Kroger (KR -0.2%).
- Retail analysts think deal looks like a strategic fit for Kroger with the e-commerce platform and linked fulfillment centers form Vitacost giving it plenty of new growth channels.
Jul. 2, 2014, 8:10 AM| Comment!
Jun. 19, 2014, 8:46 AM
Jun. 19, 2014, 8:33 AM
Mar. 7, 2014, 9:20 AM
Mar. 6, 2014, 3:58 PM
- Shares of Kroger (KR -0.6%) are down slightly from their daily highs after the WSJ reports that Cerberus has struck a deal for Safeway at $40 per share.
- Kroger was thought to be more interested in buying pieces of Safeway rather than bid for the whole company.
- Earlier: Kroger's earnings and guidance impress
Mar. 6, 2014, 9:03 AM
- Kroger (KR) reports identical supermarket sales rose 4.3% in Q4, a mark which stands out during a tough weather period.
- The company's gross margin rate showed an 11 bps improvement over last year's period which is another achievement that not everyone in the sector was able to pull off.
- After adding in the impact of Harris Teeter synergies, FY15 EPS guidance is set at $3.14-$3.25 vs. $3.13 consensus.
- Quick analyst take: Kroger management is drawing praise for navigating some choppy water with skill.
- KR +2.8% premarket
Jan. 16, 2014, 5:35 PM
KR vs. ETF Alternatives
Kroger Co operates retail food and drug stores, multi-department stores, jewelry stores, and convenience stores throughout the United States. It also manufactures and processes some of the food for sale in its supermarkets.
Other News & PR