Aug. 13, 2014, 10:26 AM
- Department store stocks are lower after Macy's misses estimates with its Q2 report and warns on consumer spending.
- Decliners: Nordstrom (NYSE:JWN) -2.2%, Sears Holdings (NASDAQ:SHLD) -1.8%, Kohl's (NYSE:KSS) -2.7%, J.C. Penney (NYSE:JCP) -2.1%, Bon-Ton Stores (NASDAQ:BONT) -3.5%, Dillard's (NYSE:DDS) -2.2%.
- The downward comp sales revision from Macy's and the flat reading on U.S. retail sales growth appears to be impacting big-box retailers Target (TGT -1%) and Wal-Mart (WMT -0.9%) as well.
Aug. 13, 2014, 8:38 AM
- A warning from typically-resilient Macy's (NYSE:M) on consumer spending could send a chill into the retail sector.
- CEO Terry Lundgren says that many of the department store's customers aren't feeling comfortable about spending more in an "uncertain" economic environment.
- That analysis from a sector bellwether indicates a crowding out effect could be in play as consumers spend freely on housing, automobiles, and travel.
- On watch: KSS, JWN, DDS, JCP, BONT, LB, TLYS, CACH.
- Consumer discretionary-focused ETFs: XLY, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, FXD, FDIS, PMR, RCD
Jun. 24, 2014, 12:07 PM
- Channel checks from Deutsche Bank indicate the promotional cadence in the retail sector has been dialed back a notch from the level seen in Q1.
- The investment firm sees less promotional activity from retail beasts Wal-Mart (WMT +0.3%) and Target (TGT +0.2%) - while department store chains such as Kohl's (KSS +0.7%), Nordstrom (JWN +0.6%), and Dillard's (DDS -0.1%) have also shown some improvement.
- J.C. Pennney (JCP +1%) is a tougher nut to crack for DB with its radical changes in pricing strategy making the year-over-year comparison less informative.
- Related ETFs: XLY, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, FXD, FDIS, PMR, RCD
Jun. 12, 2014, 8:52 AM
- Department stores (DDS, M, SSI, BONT, SHLD, JCP, KSS, JWN) showed sluggish growth in May. Sales in the sub-category fell 1.4% M/M and 2.0% Y/Y.
- As expected, building material & garden sales (HD, LOW) showed some late-spring strength. Sales rose 1.1% M.M and 4.6% Y/Y.
- The catch-all miscellaneous store retailers category (ODP, PETM) packed the biggest month-over-month pop of all at 1.8%.
- Full Retail Sales report (.pdf)
May. 15, 2014, 7:08 AM
May. 15, 2014, 7:02 AM
May. 14, 2014, 5:30 PM
May. 14, 2014, 10:21 AM
- Shares of Sears Holdings (SHLD +0.4%) have retreated quite a bit from an early rush after the company disclosed it's looking at options to sell Sears Canada.
- Though there are a few retail chains such as Primark or Uniqlo which might consider the acquisition for a quick entry into Canada, plenty of retail analysts think the stumbles by Sears and Target (TGT -0.2%) in the region will scare off many retail chains from the gambit. Macy's (M -0.1%) and Kohl's (KSS -2%) come to mind.
- A P-E buyout is being viewed as a likely scenario, while there is a chance Hudson's Bay could play a little defense on its home turf.
May. 13, 2014, 1:01 PM
- Kohl's (KSS +0.1%) is planning a major shakeup with upper management, according to reporting from the WSJ.
- The moves come on top of a search by the department store operator for a new chief merchant.
- Kohl's CEO Kevin Mansell is highly regarded in the industry, but things could get a bit testy for him if the back-to-school season doesn't go well, according to retail analysts.
Apr. 28, 2014, 11:14 AM
- A number of beat-up department store stocks are showing surprising strength to start off the week.
- J.C. Penney (JCP +7.6%), Sears Holdings (SHLD +3.3%), Kohl's (KSS +1.9%), and Bon-ton Stores (BONT +2.2%) are making the strongest moves.
- Retail analysts attribute the rally to some positive channel checks in the sector, while recent positive comments from execs at V.F. Corp and Phillips-Van Heusen haven't hurt sentiment. (VFC cc transcript, PVH cc trancsript)
Mar. 25, 2014, 9:59 AM
Mar. 13, 2014, 9:15 AM
- Department store sales outpaced overall retail sales in February with a 0.7% M/M gain.
- A pickup in traffic during the last half of the month helped sales, but the category showed a 4.8% Y/Y drop in an indication of just how far mall traffic has dropped off.
- Related stocks: DDS, M, SSI, BONT, SHLD, JCP, KSS, JWN.
Mar. 5, 2014, 9:06 AM
- A recent poll by the Wall Street Journal and NBC indicates 63% of American support raising the minimum wage.
- Though the Republicans are expected to challenge anything brought to the floor of the House, there's a growing consensus in DC that some minimum wage legislation will eventually pass.
- Democrats argue that the current minimum wage level of $7.25 per hour is low by historical standards when adjusted for inflation.
- Related stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, CEC, LUB, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN, AEO, ANF, ARO, BBBY, BJ, CHS, COST, DG, DLTR, GPS, HD, JCP, JWN, KR, KSS, LOW, LB, NDN, ODP, PIR, PLCE, RSH, SPLS, SWY, TGT, TJX, URBN, WMT
Feb. 27, 2014, 7:38 AM
- Total FQ4 sales of $6.099B fell 3.8% from a year ago, with comparable store sales off 2%. EPS of $1.56 compares to $1.66 a year ago. Last year's FQ4 included an extra week in which sales were $169M.
- Gross margin of 34% is up 70 basis points from last year.
- Fiscal 2014 EPS guidance of $4.05-$4.45 on total sales expected to increase 0.5-2.5%. Comparable store sales to increase 0-2%.
- KSS no trades premarket
- Press release, FQ4 results
- CC at 8:30 ET
Feb. 27, 2014, 7:13 AM| Comment!
Feb. 27, 2014, 12:05 AM| Comment!
KSS vs. ETF Alternatives
Kohl's Corp operates department stores that sell moderately priced exclusive and national brand apparel, footwear, accessories, beauty and home products. Itswebsite includes merchandise available in stores, and merchandise available only on-line.
Other News & PR