Thu, Jan. 29, 5:05 PM
Fri, Jan. 23, 8:35 AM
- Kansas City Southern (NYSE:KSU) reports operating margin rose 143 bps to 33.29% in Q4.
- Revenue by segment: Chemical & Petroleum: $115.3M (+8.98%); Industrial & Consumer Products: $151.1M (+1.07%); Agriculture & Minerals: $113.7M (-4.53%); Energy: $76.5M (+8.66%); Intermodal: $102.4 (+8.47%); Automotive: $60.6M (+13.27%).
- Total carload volume rose by 5% to 569.8K during the period.
- Revenue per carload/unit declined 0.28% to $1,087.
- KSU -1.78% premarket.
Fri, Jan. 23, 8:03 AM| Comment!
Thu, Jan. 22, 5:30 PM
Thu, Jan. 15, 6:50 PM
- Shipments of crude oil by rail may be on the decline, but Credit Suisse analysts say that does not hurt the bull case for railroads as the best way to play industrial stocks amid plunging crude prices.
- For all the hype about shipping crude by rail, railroads can still rely on other lines of business, such as transporting general merchandise, the firm says; what's more, capacity is tight, with or without oil.
- Credit Suisse says its three top picks in the group - Canadian Pacific Railway (NYSE:CP), CSX and Union Pacific (NYSE:UNP) - offer an averager 20% upside for their stock prices in the next 12 months.
- CP and UNP are the railroads with the highest exposure to shale oil, with a respective 9.5% and 7.5% of revenues from crude and related products, the firm says; Kansas City Southern (NYSE:KSU) has the least exposure to shale oil, with 3.6% of its revenue tied to oil transport.
Tue, Jan. 13, 8:19 AM
- A positive outlook on the railroad sector is issued by Cowen Research after a Q4 survey.
- The investment firm notes that the drop in crude shipments in the sector is being offset by pent-up demand in other commodities and capacity pressure in other transportation modes.
- Railroad stocks: UNP, NSC, CSX, CNI, ARII, GBX, CP, KSU, CNI, WAB, TRN.
Dec. 10, 2014, 7:55 AM
Dec. 8, 2014, 3:20 PM
- Another tough day for railroad stocks as oil prices slide again.
- There's been some brave talk that the railroad sector has already seen the developments in the oil industry factored into share prices, but today's action indicates concerns on crude transport is still a concern.
- Decliners: Canadian Pacific (NYSE:CP) -5.5%, Canadian National Railway (NYSE:CNI) -1.7%, Genesee & Wyoming (NYSE:GWR) -2.9%, Kansas City Southern (NYSE:KSU) -2.7%, Union Pacific (NYSE:UNP) -3.1%, CSX Corporation (NYSE:CSX) -2.8%, Norfolk Southern (NYSE:NSC) -3.5%, Pioneer Railcorp (OTCPK:PRRR) -4.3%.
Nov. 28, 2014, 12:05 PM
Nov. 13, 2014, 8:43 AM
Oct. 22, 2014, 5:57 PM
- Railroad stocks were hammered today after some executives threw cold water on the idea that the railroad industry is ripe for consolidation.
- Norfolk Southern (NYSE:NSC) CEO said during today's earnings conference call that he thinks a major merger would be “highly problematic,” since in the past they have led to "significant service problems for some period of time" and potential cost savings such as overlapping routes do not exist as much anymore.
- Yesterday, Canadian Pacific (NYSE:CP) CEO Hunter Harrison confirmed that talks with CSX fell apart after several meetings because they couldn't agree on key issues, and added that a deal with Kansas City Southern (NYSE:KSU) is unlikely because the stock is expensive.
- In today's trade: NSC -3%, CP -1.6%, CSX -0.6%, KSU -2.7%, UNP -1.8%, GWR -2.6%, CNI -0.9%, BRK.B -0.9%.
Oct. 17, 2014, 9:16 AM| Comment!
Oct. 17, 2014, 8:03 AM| Comment!
Oct. 16, 2014, 5:30 PM
Oct. 15, 2014, 1:07 PM
- CSX (CSX -2.5%) CEO Michael Ward wasn't taking part in any bubbly speculative talk about railroad mergers during the firm's earnings call this morning.
- The exec says regulators would be very cautious about a large merger due to disruptions in the past after high-profile combinations.
- Earnings call webcast
- Related stocks: UNP, NSC, CNI, ARII, GBX, CP, KSU, CNI.
Oct. 14, 2014, 10:58 AM
- Canadian Pacific (CP +0.5%) might consider another takeover candidate in the sector if CSX (CSX +2.9%) remain an elusive target, sources tell Bloomberg.
- The M&A fallout in the sector could see CSX combine with Union Pacific (UNP +1.2%) and Norfolk Southern (NSC +1.6%) look to link up with Canadian Railway (CNI -0.8%), says Avondale Partners.
- Another small-sized target could be Kansas City Southern (KSU +2.4%), notes Wolfe Research. KSU might be of interest to a rail carrier looking to network into Texas and Mexico.
- Previous on railroad M&A: CP-CSX, merger rally.
KSU vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR