Dec. 10, 2014, 10:22 AM
- The S&P 500 Retail ETF (NYSEARCA:XRT) is up 0.3% today despite the negative action in the broader market.
- A forecast for sustained lower oil prices is the major reason for the upswing.
- Top 20 XRT holdings showing gains: Limited Brands (LB +0.6%), Whole Foods Markets (WFM +0.4%), Casey's General Stores (CASY +0.3%), Ross Stores (ROST +0.7%), Kroger (KR +0.9%), Advance Auto Parts (AAP +0.4%), Target (TGT +0.4%), Zumiez (ZUMZ +0.3%), CST Brands (CST +1.3%).
Dec. 9, 2014, 3:25 PM
- Analysts think the strong performance turned in by Victoria's Secret (NYSE:LB) in November will extend through the holiday season as store execution and assortment appear to be spot-on for the period.
- The best news in the mix for Victoria's is the steady improvement in merchandise margin amid a tough promotional environment.
Dec. 4, 2014, 9:13 AM| Comment!
Dec. 4, 2014, 7:14 AM
Dec. 1, 2014, 7:50 AM
- Comscore estimates e-commerce spending rose 32% on Thanksgiving Day to $1.01B and 26% on Black Friday to $1.51B.
- Most retail analysts are sticking with their forecast for 4.0%-4.5% growth for holiday sales this year, with early shopping and e-commerce making up for a dip in store traffic on Black Friday.
- Apparel sellers in particular came out with a stronger online push this year.
- Related stocks: OTCPK:AMZZ, EBAY, AEO, ANF, JCP, JNY, JWN, KSS, LB, M, URBN, PSUN, BKE, WTSL, GPS, FDX, UPS, DKS, BBY, LULU, KATE, VRA, SPLS.
Nov. 20, 2014, 9:12 AM
- Air fares rose 2.2% M/M in October, according to the underlying data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics. The development arrives just as jet fuel prices are moderating on forward contracts for carriers (LUV, JBLU, HA, ALK, ALGT, SAVE, AAL, DAL, UAL, RJET).
- Breakfast cereal prices rose 1.5% M/M in October. Though the gain could be due to a soft promotions-influenced comp from a year ago, sellers (GIS, K, POST) won't mind the relief.
- Another surprise might be the +4.3% average price rise in the women's dresses category. Ann (NYSE:ANN), L Brands (NYSE:LB), Cache (NASDAQ:CACH), Cato (NYSE:CATO), Chico's FAS (NYSE:CHS), and Ascena Retail (NASDAQ:ASNA) could be part of that improvement.
- BLS CPI table
Nov. 19, 2014, 4:32 PM
Nov. 18, 2014, 5:35 PM
Nov. 7, 2014, 9:39 AM
Nov. 6, 2014, 8:35 AM
Nov. 3, 2014, 4:49 PM
Oct. 27, 2014, 7:56 AM
- Bank of America Merrill Lynch upgrades L Brands (NYSE:LB) to a Neutral rating after having the stock slotted previously at Underperform.
- The investment firm says it's more comfortable that the retailer will hit estimates and that investors will keep its multiple in play.
- BAML EPS estimates on L Brands: FY15 to $3.27, FY16 to $3.61, FY17 to $4.04.
Oct. 15, 2014, 10:56 AM
- There's a promising forecast out from retail watchers Verdict on the department store sector.
- The research firm forecasts growth of 22% to $450B as emerging markets drive gains.
- What to watch: British and U.S. chains have an advantage over continental European operators which have been slower to invest in e-commerce.
- Department stores: M, OTCQX:MAKSY, OTCPK:DBHSY, KSS, JWN, DDS, JCP, LB, TLYS, SHLD
Oct. 9, 2014, 7:07 AM
Oct. 7, 2014, 8:05 AM
- The National Retail Forecast forecasts holiday sales will increase by 4.1% this season.
- The mark doesn't includes sales from the auto, gas, and restaurant categories.
- Holiday sales haven't risen at a +4% clip since 2011.
- Online sales are pegged for a 8% to 11% rise this holiday season to top last year's 8.6% gain.
- Related stocks: AMZN, TGT, WMT, BBY, M, GPS, JWN, KSS, LULU, ANF, AEO, URBN, DKS, CAB, NKE, LB.
- Related ETFs: XLY, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, IYK, IYC, FXD, FDIS, SCC, UCC, PMR, UGE, RCD, SZK
Sep. 24, 2014, 8:13 AM
- Retail sales could increase by 4.5% to $986B this holiday season on an improved macroeconomic backdrop, forecasts Deloitte Touche.
- The mark would easily top last year's 2.8% rise.
- Online sales are tipped to rise by 14%.
- Promotional activity across broad retail has been dialed back a touch during the back-to-school season, but is still a risk to margins heading into the crucial shopping period.
- What to watch: This holiday season could be an operational pressure cooker for UPS (NYSE:UPS) and FedEx (NYSE:FDX) with demand expected to be high.
- Related stocks: AAP, AEO, ANF, BBBY, BBY, BJ, CHS, COH, COST, DG, FDO, FL, GPS, JCP, JNY, JWN, KSS, LB, LULU, M, NDN, PIR, RL, TGT, TIF, TJX, UA, URBN, VFC, WMT, ZLC, PERY, SQBG, VNCE, KORS, GIII, KATE, GIL, VRA, ICON, PSMT, AMZN.
- Related ETFs: XLY, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, IYK, FXD, FDIS, PMR, UGE, RCD, SZK
LB vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR