Jun. 9, 2014, 7:32 AM
Jun. 5, 2014, 7:42 AM| Comment!
Jun. 5, 2014, 7:06 AM
May. 23, 2014, 9:40 AM
May. 23, 2014, 8:36 AM| 2 Comments
May. 21, 2014, 4:32 PM
May. 20, 2014, 5:35 PM
May. 13, 2014, 9:00 AM
- A disappoint read on retail sales from April's report could reset some expectations in the sector after analysts overestimated consumer demand.
- The electronics and appliance store category (RSH, BBY, CONN, WHR) saw sales fall 2.3% M/M and 1.5% Y/Y.
- Clothing and clothing accessory stores (AEO, GPS, BKE, TLYS, ANF, ANN, LB, ARO, GES, CATO) registered a 1.2% M/M and 1.1% Y/Y gain in sales which didn't show the snap-back from soft winter traffic patterns forecast by some.
- Related ETFs: XLY, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, FXD, FDIS, PMR, RCD, PEZ, PSCD
May. 8, 2014, 8:35 AM
- L Brands (LB) expects to reports Q1 EPS of $0.50-$0.52 vs. guidance of $0.44-$0.49 and the consensus estimate of analysts of $0.48.
- Comparable-store sales rose 8% in April (Easter shift) and 2% for the 13 weeks which ended on May 3.
- Sales growth was consistent across brands - with L Brands, Victoria's Secret, and Bath & Body Works all showing a 8% comp in April.
May. 8, 2014, 7:10 AM
Apr. 10, 2014, 2:05 PM
- Victoria's Secret (LB) will get back to the basics as it looks to improve profitability in its apparel business.
- The retailer will focus on core bra and panty offerings, while cutting inventory in denim and outwear.
- The shift in strategy was announced internally at Limited Brands (LB -4.8%), according to Women's Wear Daily.
Apr. 10, 2014, 8:39 AM
Mar. 26, 2014, 1:08 PM
- Levi Strauss says it will cut 800 jobs in a cost-cutting move.
- The private company says it will save as much as $200M in annual costs after the job reductions are enacted.
- The development is interesting in light of the stance of many apparel retailers (AEO, ARO, ANF, LB, GPS, ZUMZ, EXPR, GES) that their recent shortfall in sales and traffic is a temporary weather-related issue. A 20% cut in its work force by Levi Strauss is no ray of sunshine for the outlook on the industry.
Mar. 19, 2014, 9:22 AM
- Retail analysts are still buzzing over the 0.3% drop in apparel and clothing prices reported by the Department of Labor yesterday.
- The drop works out to 3.6% on an annualized basis and came during a month when prices are supposed to snap back from their holiday promotional fervor.
- Related stocks: ARO, ANF, AEO, ZUMZ, PSUN, BKE, EXPR, WTSL, TLYS, CACH, GPS, LULU, LB, ANN.
Mar. 6, 2014, 8:21 AM
Mar. 5, 2014, 9:06 AM
- A recent poll by the Wall Street Journal and NBC indicates 63% of American support raising the minimum wage.
- Though the Republicans are expected to challenge anything brought to the floor of the House, there's a growing consensus in DC that some minimum wage legislation will eventually pass.
- Democrats argue that the current minimum wage level of $7.25 per hour is low by historical standards when adjusted for inflation.
- Related stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, CEC, LUB, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN, AEO, ANF, ARO, BBBY, BJ, CHS, COST, DG, DLTR, GPS, HD, JCP, JWN, KR, KSS, LOW, LB, NDN, ODP, PIR, PLCE, RSH, SPLS, SWY, TGT, TJX, URBN, WMT
LB vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR