Dec. 10, 2014, 10:22 AM
- The S&P 500 Retail ETF (NYSEARCA:XRT) is up 0.3% today despite the negative action in the broader market.
- A forecast for sustained lower oil prices is the major reason for the upswing.
- Top 20 XRT holdings showing gains: Limited Brands (LB +0.6%), Whole Foods Markets (WFM +0.4%), Casey's General Stores (CASY +0.3%), Ross Stores (ROST +0.7%), Kroger (KR +0.9%), Advance Auto Parts (AAP +0.4%), Target (TGT +0.4%), Zumiez (ZUMZ +0.3%), CST Brands (CST +1.3%).
Nov. 3, 2014, 4:49 PM
Sep. 10, 2014, 8:32 AM
- Credit Suisse lines up with L Brands (NYSE:LB) with an Outperform rating as it acknowledges the ability of management to navigate around the numerous potholes in the retail sector.
- L Brands stands as a sector outlier by raising full-year profit estimates recently.
- The Pink brand in particular has shown some strength into the back-to-school season.
- LB +0.9% premarket
Jun. 25, 2014, 10:25 AM
- "Highly socially engaged brands tend to deliver sustained and superior financial returns as content co-creation provides improved ad spend leverage," says Piper's Stephanie Wissink, following her team's Instagram analysis.
- Best-positioned from an engagement-rank perspective according to Piper: Michael Kors (KORS +1.1%), Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF +0.1%), Urban Outfitters (URBN -0.7%), and L Brands (LB -0.1%).
May. 23, 2014, 8:36 AM| 2 Comments
Aug. 22, 2013, 9:48 AM
- There's no sugar coating the awful string of sales reports turned in recently by teenager-focused retailers with today's release from Abercrombie & Fitch (ANF -19.5%) one of the worst of the lot.
- Even retail bulls like Wells Fargo's Paul Lejuez are getting turned around by the high level of promotional activity in the sector. "Nobody is immune," notes the analyst.
- Decliners: LTD -3.2%, CACH -1.1%, GPS -1.3%, BKE -1.4%, AEO -1.3%, TLYS -2%.
Aug. 21, 2013, 4:21 PM
- Limited Brands (LTD -1.3%) gives investors another read on what has been a Jekyll and Hyde retail trade this week.
- LTD beats on both lines (albeit narrowly) for Q2.
- The company's outlook comes in below Street estimates: Q3 and FY13 EPS of $0.23-0.28 and $3.06-3.21 respectively, versus consensus of $0.29 for Q3 and $3.21 for the full year. (PR)
- Shares -2% AH.
Aug. 21, 2013, 4:03 PM
Jul. 29, 2013, 11:22 AM
Jul. 12, 2013, 8:02 AMRetail trends: A surprising drop in sales at Victoria's Secret (LTD) stands in stark contrast to a blowout month by Old Navy (GPS), and could speak volumes on consumer preferences, observe retail watchers. Demand for casual items has been high this summer (online and B&M) at retailers like Gap, while department stores continue to see soft store traffic. GPS +1.4% premarket. | 1 Comment
Mar. 26, 2013, 11:56 AMA weaker-than-anticipated reading on national chain store sales for the first three weeks of the month is enough to rattle the shares of a number of mall-based retailers. Though retail execs are pointing to the weather, trend-watchers are seeing a different story (chart). Decliners: ZUMZ -3.5%, AEO -2.5%, GPS -2.8%, LTD -1.5%, CHS -2.8%, ANN -2.3%, FRAN -2.5%. | Comment!
Feb. 28, 2013, 1:15 PMDid Limited Brands (LTD +3.9%) say a lot by merely reiterating its prior February guidance for low single digit comparable-store sales growth? With other retailers staying mute (J.C. Penney) or offering warnings on February sales (Wal-Mart, Target, AutoZone) - just holding serve doesn't look quite as unappetizing. During the LTD earnings call, execs highlighted how they protected the brand instead of moving hyper-promotional over the holiday shopping period (transcript). | Comment!
Feb. 27, 2013, 5:04 PM
Dec. 26, 2012, 12:34 PM
Dec. 10, 2012, 4:25 PM
Nov. 28, 2012, 8:43 AM
LB vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR