Fri, Sep. 18, 11:08 AM
- The broad market is lower, but the REIT sector (IYR +0.5%) is tacking on to yesterday's post-FOMC gains.
- The lodging names, however, remain under pressure, with Pebblebrook Hotel Trust's (PEB -5%) Monday warning of weak business in August and September apparently still driving the action.
- Hospitality Properties (HPT -1.3%), Sunstone Hotel (SHO -3.9%), LaSalle Hotel (LHO -4%), Chesapeake Lodging (CHSP -2.9%), RLJ Lodging (RLJ -4.7%), FelCor Lodging (FCH -5.5%), Host Hotels (HST -3%), Hersha Hospitality (HT -2.7%), DiamondRock (DRH -3.9%), Apple Hospitality (APLE -2.5%).
Tue, Sep. 15, 12:21 PM
- Pebblebrook Hotel Trust last night said RevPAR this quarter could miss guidance thanks to weaker-than-expected demand in August and September. The stock is lower by 7.2%, and taking most of the rest of the sector along with it.
- Ashford Hospitality (AHT -2.7%), Ashford Hospitality Prime (AHP -1.8%), Sunstone Hotel (SHO -3.3%), LaSalle Hotel (LHO -4%), Chesapeake Lodging (CHSP -3.4%), Summit Hotel (INN -2%), RLJ Lodging (RLJ -3.6%), Chatham Lodging (CLDT -2.2%), FelCor Lodging (FCH -4.1%), Host Hotels (HST -3.7%), DiamondRock (DRH -3.3%), Hersha Hospitality (HT -3.5%).
- Notable outperformers: Hospitality Properties (HPT -0.8%), Strategic Hotels (BEE flat).
Mon, Sep. 14, 5:39 PM
Thu, Jul. 23, 9:56 AM
Wed, Mar. 25, 9:48 AM
- Downgraded to Reduce from Neutral are DiamondRock Hospitality (DRH -1.3%), FelCor Lodging (FCH -1.8%), Hersha Hospitality Trust (HT -2.5%), Host Hotels and Resorts (HST -0.9%), and LaSalle Hotel (LHO -1.5%).
- Cut to Neutral from Buy is Starwood Hotels (HOT -0.9%).
- For what it's worth, Starwood - the only one of the group rated a Buy before today - has about the worst performance of the bunch over the last year, ahead about 6% (Hersha is up just 5%, and the rest are up by far more).
Tue, Feb. 24, 3:32 PM
- The 10-year Treasury yield has tumbled back beneath 2% amid Janet Yellen's congressional testimony and some weak economic data, but there's no bid for income favorites like equity REITs.
- The iShares DJ U.S. Real Estate ETF (IYR -1.9%).
- Realty Income (O -2.9%), National Retail Properties (NNN -2.7%), Senior Housing Properties (SNH -2.2%), Ventas (VTR -3.8%), HCP (HCP -3.6%), Equity Commonwealth (EQC -2.3%), Vornado (VNO -1.9%), Equity Residential (EQR -2.5%), AvalonBay (AVB -2.7%), Simon Property (SPG -1.8%), General Growth (GGP -2.1%), Kimco (KIM -3%), Sovran Self Storage (SSS -2%), Boston Properties (BXP -2%), Hospitality Properties (HPT -2.7%), LaSalle Hotel (LHO -2.8%), Liberty Property Trust (LPT -2.7%), American Campus Communities (ACC -1.7%).
- ETFs: IYR, VNQ, DRN, URE, SRS, ICF, SCHH, RWR, KBWY, DRV, REK, FRI, FTY, PSR, WREI
Thu, Feb. 19, 11:25 AM
- Maybe priced for perfection after big runs over the past couple of years, hotel REITs are pulling back after an earnings miss from Lasalle Hotel Properties (LHO -4.3%) and middling guidance from Host Hotels and Resorts (HST -5.4%).
- Hospitality Properties (HPT -1.5%), Ashford Hospitality (AHT -1.2%), Strategic Hotels (BEE -0.9%), Pebblebrook Hotel Trust (PEB -1.7%), Summit Hotel (INN -2.2%), RLJ Lodging (RLJ -2.3%), Chatham Lodging (CLDT -1.1%).
- Bucking the trend is Hersha Hospitality Trust (HT +1.1%) after beating Q4 consensus.
- Previously: Credit Suisse takes profits on Pebblebrook Hotel (Feb. 18)
Tue, Jan. 6, 2:30 PM
- Equity REIT names are higher nearly across the board as the 10-year Treasury yield tumbles below 2%, but the hotel REITs aren't joining in the fun, suggesting maybe plunging oil prices (now at $47.76 per barrel) are foreshadowing a weak economy?
- Ashford Hospitality (AHT -1.9%), Strategic Hotels (BEE -1.3%), LaSalle Hotel (LHO -0.9%), Chesapeake Lodging (CHSP -1.7%), Summit Hotel (INN -1.2%).
- Previously: Equity REITs add to gains as long-term yields dive (Jan. 6)
Dec. 9, 2014, 9:27 AM| Dec. 9, 2014, 9:27 AM | Comment!
Dec. 8, 2014, 9:36 AM
Oct. 22, 2014, 12:02 PM
- LaSalle Hotel Properties (LHO +1.5%) is an outlier to the upside among the lodging REIT names after Ladenburg Thalman initiates coverage with a Buy.
- The stock has quickly rebounded this week from the the Ebola scare-related declines over the last month, and nows sits at right about its 52-week high, and also up 20% YTD.
- The company will report its Q3 after the bell this evening.
Oct. 20, 2014, 10:01 AM
- Stifel steps into the Ebola-related downdraft in the lodging sector, upgrading the largest (by market cap) such REIT, Hospitality Property Trust (HPT +2.1%) to Buy with $30 price target.
- Other names: Ashford (AHT +1.2%), Strategic Hotels (BEE +0.8%), Sunstone Hotel (SHO +1.1%), LaSalle Hotel (LHO +0.6%), Chesapeake Lodging (CHSP +0.6%), Summit Hotel (INN +1.2%), Pebblebrook Hotel (PEB +0.7%).
Oct. 13, 2014, 4:19 PM
- Both equity and mortgage REITs saw plenty of buying as nearly all of the rest of the market was lit up bright red, and Treasury ETFs signaled a sharp drop in yields when government bonds reopen for trade tomorrow (closed this session for Columbus Day).
- A sampling of equity names: Senior Housing Properties (SNH +1.2%), Medical Properties Trust (MPW +1.4%), Gramercy Property Trust (GPT +1.7%), Equity Residential (EQR +0.7%), Inland Real Estate (IRC +0.9%), Sovran Self Storage (SSS +1.1%), Highwoods Properties Trust (HIW +1%).
- One equity REIT sector in the red along with the rest of the market is lodging amid worsening Ebola fears: Ashford Hospitality Trust (AHT -2.9%), Sunshine Hotel Investors (SHO -1.4%), LaSalle Hotel Properties (LHO -1.5%), Summit Hotel Properties (INN -1.5%).
- Mortgage REITs: American Capital Agency (AGNC +1.4%), CYS Investments (CYS +2.2%), Invesco (IVR +1.1%), American Capital Mortgage (MTGE +1.5%), Western Asset (WMC +1.1%).
- ETFs: IYR, VNQ, REM, MORL, MORT, DRN, URE, REZ, SRS, RWR, SCHH, ICF, ROOF, DRV, KBWY, RTL, REK, FRI, FTY, PSR, IFNA, FNIO, WREI
Jan. 14, 2014, 3:50 PM
- The hotel REIT sector is having a big day, led by Strategic Hotels & Resorts (BEE +1.8%) one day after a 2-notch upgrade by BAML to Buy from Underperform. The price target is $11.50.
- The activist target initially popped yesterday following the upgrade, but gave up those gains as the market tanked in the afternoon.
- Others: Hospitality Properties (HPT +0.8%), Sunstone Hotel (SHO +1.5%), LaSalle Hotel (LHO +1.1%), Pebblebrook (PEB +1.8%), Ashford Hospitality (AHT +1.8%).
Oct. 22, 2013, 9:15 AM
Feb. 27, 2012, 1:54 PM
LHO vs. ETF Alternatives
LaSalle Hotel Properties is a real estate investment trust. The Company's business includes buying, owing, redeveloping & leasing mainly upscale & luxury full-service hotels located in convention, resort & urban business markets.
Other News & PR