Oct. 29, 2014, 5:35 PM
- ADNC, ADUS, AEGR, AFFX, AHS, AHT, AIV, ALJ, ATEN, ATRC, AXTI, BCOV, BEAT, BYD, BYI, CCI, CHE, CODE, COLM, CPSI, CPT, CSLT, CTRL, CUBE, DCT, DGI, DGII, EGN, EGO, EHTH, ELGX, ELLI, ELX, EMN, EPAY, ESIO, ESS, EXPE, FLDM, FLR, FLT, FRT, GB, GDOT, GMED, GNMK, GPRO, GRPN, HIL, HME, IMMR, IMPV, INT, ISBC, KEG, LNKD, LRE, LYV, MCHP, MELI, MHK, MOH, MTZ, MXL, MYL, NATI, NEM, NR, NSR, NUVA, OIS, OMCL, ONNN, OPLK, OUTR, PKI, PSA, PXLW, QNST, RAIL, RSG, SAM, SBUX, SEM, SGEN, SGMS, SIMG, SPF, SREV, STAA, STAG, SYNC, TCO, TEP, THRX, TNAV, TPX, TRMB, TSO, TSRA, TSYS, TUES, VCRA, WU, YRCW, ZEN
Oct. 28, 2014, 6:38 PM
- Facebook beat Q3 estimates, but provided Q4 revenue guidance that was slightly below consensus at the midpoint.
- Twitter (NYSE:TWTR) -1.7% AH; shares fell 9.8% in regular trading due to yesterday's Q3 results and guidance.
- LinkedIn (NYSE:LNKD) -1.6%. Pandora (NYSE:P) -1.2%. YELP -1.6%. Zillow (NASDAQ:Z) -1%.
- Many of the same names sold off after Netflix and eBay's earnings two weeks ago.
Oct. 15, 2014, 4:45 PM
- Internet stocks are selling off in AH trading as Netflix craters in response to its light Q3 subscriber adds and disappointing Q4 guidance, and eBay slumps after providing weak Q4 guidance and reporting only 6% Y/Y Q3 Marketplaces growth.
- Google (NASDAQ:GOOG) -1.6% AH. Facebook (NASDAQ:FB) -1.5%. Amazon (AMZN - taking share from eBay) -2.8%. Twitter (NYSE:TWTR) -1.9%. LinkedIn (NYSE:LNKD) -4.2%. YELP -1.4%.
- Internet ETFs: FDN, PNQI, SOCL
Sep. 26, 2014, 10:50 AM
- LinkedIn's (NYSE:LNKD) Sales Navigator product will see its revenue rise to $1.9B in 2019 from a mere $273M in 2014, forecasts Cowen's John Blackledge, upgrading shares to Outperform. His target has been raised by $58 to $253.
- Blackledge is a big fan of the Sales Navigator overhaul LinkedIn rolled out in late July for both PCs and mobile. It included a separate (non-LinkedIn) login, lead recommendation by account, better CRM software integration, easier data discovery, and other features sought by sales pros.
- He notes data suggests social selling can provide a major boost to sales productivity, in part because it can eliminate cold-calling. Sales Navigator's subscriber count is expected to see a 59% CAGR from 2014-2019, eventually reaching 1.9M (3% global salesforce penetration).
Aug. 21, 2014, 7:02 PM
- Deep Nishar, LinkedIn's (NYSE:LNKD) SVP of products/user experience and a 6-year company vet, is leaving.
- In a statement, LinkedIn states CEO Jeff Weiner will be "indefinitely" taking over Nishar's responsibilities. The company also observes its user base has grown by over 10x to 313M since Nishar came on board.
- Nonetheless, LinkedIn has struggled in recent years to boost its historically low engagement rates (relative to other social networking platforms), in spite of a series of product changes meant to address the issue. The company's Q2 numbers suggest it's starting to make some headway.
Aug. 19, 2014, 12:05 PM| Aug. 19, 2014, 12:05 PM | 8 Comments
Aug. 5, 2014, 2:25 AM
- LinkedIn (NYSE:LNKD) will pay almost $6M to more than 350 current and former employees following a Department of Labor investigation which found that the online career-networking company violated U.S. wage law.
- The Labor Department uncovered LinkedIn's failure to record and compensate workers for all hours worked, violating provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act which requires non-exempt workers to be paid the federal minimum hourly wage plus overtime.
Aug. 1, 2014, 1:11 PM
- "We believe the long-term trajectory of existing businesses and the opportunity represented by emerging businesses like Sales Navigator ... remain among the strongest in Internet," writes Goldman, reiterating a Buy on LinkedIn (LNKD +9%) and upping its target by $20 to $250.
- The firm sees jobs and product sales benefiting from mobile and native ad growth, and thinks strong growth justifies a steep valuation of 21x 2015E EV/EBITDA.
- 4 other firms have also hiked their LinkedIn PTs. Among them is SunTrust (PT raised to $240), which declares LinkedIn "uniquely positioned to create a [cloud app platform] for professionals." The company just rolled out a standalone version of its Sales Navigator product (has a separate login) that adds a number of features requested by sales pros.
- Many analysts are pleased LinkedIn added 2.2K+ Talent Solutions accounts in Q2, up from Q1's disappointing 1.4K and bringing the total base to 28.1K. Also going over well: Cumulative members rose 6% Q/Q and 32% Y/Y to 313M. On the other hand, unique logged-in visitors only rose 3% Q/Q and 13% Y/Y to 84M; total unique visitor count is at 186M (per comScore).
- Q2 results, guidance/details
Aug. 1, 2014, 9:15 AM
Jul. 31, 2014, 5:47 PM
Jul. 31, 2014, 4:19 PM
- LinkedIn (NYSE:LNKD) expects Q3 revenue of $543M-$547M and EPS of $0.44, above a consensus of $540.9M and $0.40. Full-year guidance is for revenue of $2.14B-$2.15B and EPS of $1.80, above a consensus of $2.13B and $1.64. The company has a history of guiding conservatively.
- Marketing Solutions (ad sales, 20% of revenue) growth accelerated to 44% Y/Y in Q2 from 36% in Q1, and helped drive the Q2 beat. Growth had been pressured in prior quarters by a transition to sponsored news feed ads.
- Talent Solutions (jobs, 60% of revenue) +49% vs. +50% in Q1. Subscriptions (20% of revenue) +44% vs. +46% in Q1. The U.S. was 60% of revenue, same as Q1.
- Likely helping ad sales: Traffic to posts from publishers and "influencers" has more than doubled since February, when a new publishing platform was launched. LinkedIn, whose engagement is lighter than that of most other popular social networks, says the platform is now producing 30K+ long-form posts per week.
- Total GAAP costs/expenses +46% Y/Y to $519.8M. Sales/marketing +51% to $184.5M, R&D +35% to $128.7M.
- Q2 results, PR
Jul. 31, 2014, 4:08 PM
Jul. 30, 2014, 5:35 PM
- ABCO, ABTL, ACGL, ADNC, ADUS, AFFX, AHS, AIV, ARRS, ASH, AVD, AXTI, BAGL, BBG, BBRG, BEAT, BRKS, BYD, CALD, CERS, CPSI, CPT, CTRL, CYH, DATA, DCT, DGI, DVA, DXPE, EEP, EGO, EIX, ELLI, ESIO, EXEL, EXPE, FLDM, FLR, FLT, FNGN, G, GDOT, GFIG, GPRO, HME, HNSN, IMMR, IMPV, JIVE, JLL, KEYW, KOG, KRG, LNKD, LOPE, LRE, LYV, MATX, MCHP, MHK, MRC, MXL, MXWL, NGVC, NKTR, NU, OIS, OMCL, ONNN, OUTR, PCCC, PCYC, PKI, PMCS, PSA, PXLW, RMD, RMTI, SGEN, SKUL, SPF, SPWR, SREV, SSNC, STAA, SWIR, SWN, SYNA, THG, TNAV, TRLA, TSLA, TSYS, VCRA, WU, WWWW, YRCW
Jul. 29, 2014, 4:37 PM
- Facebook (NASDAQ:FB) +0.9% AH, LinkedIn (NYSE:LNKD) +2.1% AH, YELP +2.7%, and Twitter shareholder GSV Capital (NASDAQ:GSVC) +4.8% after Twitter skyrockets AH thanks to a big Q2 beat (moreso on revenue than EPS), strong Q3 guidance, and better-than-expected MAU growth.
- Yelp is due tomorrow, LinkedIn on Thursday, and GSV on Aug. 7. Facebook posted strong Q2 numbers of its own last week.
Jul. 22, 2014, 7:12 PM
- LinkedIn (NYSE:LNKD) is acquiring Bizo, a provider of display/social ad services for marketers looking to target businesses. 10% of the $175M purchase price will be paid for in stock, and the rest in cash.
- LinkedIn praises Bizo's data management and targeting tech for enabling "precise and measurable multi-channel marketing programs" aimed at business prospects. The company's service offerings already include LinkedIn ad solutions (.pdf) that support targeting based on professional data. Bizo's ad platform will be integrated with LinkedIn's content marketing tools.
- LinkedIn's ad sales rose 36% Y/Y in Q1, less than total revenue growth of 46%. Ad growth has been pressured a bit by a transition to sponsored news feed ads.
- In January, LinkedIn announced it's buying job search engine/listing platform Bright for $120M. Q2 results are due on July 31.
Jul. 14, 2014, 11:43 AM
- LinkedIn (LNKD +3.1%) has bought Newsle, provider of a service that alerts users when contacts have been mentioned somewhere on the Web. Terms are undisclosed.
- "LinkedIn and Newsle share a common goal: We both want to provide professional insights that make you better at what you do," LinkedIn declares. Much like job search engine/listing platform Bright (acquired in February), Newsle relies on natural-language processing and machine-learning algorithms to weed out useful/relevant information.
- The purchase is the latest in a string of moves meant to improve relatively low user engagement rates. Last year, LinkedIn bought (and proceeded to integrate) mobile reader app Pulse, and added the ability to embed rich media within news feed posts.
- More recently, LinkedIn overhauled its Contacts app (now known as Connected) to emphasize news feed updates and encourage user interactions.
- Q2 results arrive on July 31. Shares are rallying on a good day for tech.
LNKD vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR