Lenovo (HKSE: 992) (ADR: LNVGY) is dedicated to building exceptionally engineered personal computers. Lenovo's business model is built on innovation, operational efficiency and customer satisfaction as well as a focus on investment in emerging markets. Formed by Lenovo Group's acquisition of the... More
Thursday, Nov 73:24 AMLenovo continues to grow PC sales as net profit jumps 36%
Thursday, Nov 73:24 AM| 1 Comment
- Lenovo's (LNVGF) FQ2 net profit rose 36% to $219.7M and exceeded analyst expectations of $201M, lifted by higher margins in China and increased sales of smartphones.
- Revenue climbed 13% to $9.77B and beat consensus of $9.41B.
- Lenovo's Chinese margins grew to 6.8% in fiscal H1 from 6.1% a year earlier, due to higher average selling prices and cost controls. However, margins dropped in the Americas region.
- Lenovo's FQ2 world-wide PC shipments edged up 2% vs a sector-wide decline of 7.6%.
- Smartphone shipments surged over 78% to 12.3M units.
- Lenovo intends to seek acquisitions to help its expansion. (PR)
Friday, Oct 181:58 AMLenovo likely to buy parts of BlackBerry only - Reuters
Friday, Oct 181:58 AM| 11 Comments
- Lenovo (LNVGF.PK) will probably just try to acquire parts of BlackBerry (BBRY) rather than the whole company, Reuters reports, due to regulatory concerns.
- The news agency's article is in contrast to a WSJ report that said that the Chinese computer maker is "actively considering a bid for all of BlackBerry."
- Reuters didn't specify what the regulatory concerns are but did cite experts who believe that BlackBerry's secure network would probably be sold to a North American buyer because of security issues, especially as the U.S. government is a major customer.
Wednesday, Aug 214:19 AMApple's iPad losing market share in China
Wednesday, Aug 214:19 AM| 11 Comments
- The iPad's market share in China tumbled to 28% of the computer-tablet market in Q2 from 49% last year, IDC estimates, affected by the growth of cheaper devices running Google's Android. Shipments of the Apple (AAPL) product rose to 1.48M units from 1.15M.
- Samsung's (SSNLF.PK) share increased to 11% from 6% as deliveries surged to 571,000, from 133,000.
- Third-placed Lenovo (LNVGF.PK) experienced a drop in share to 8% from 9% even as shipments more than doubled to 413,000, from 204,000.
Thursday, May 235:18 AM
Sunday, Oct 282012, 3:45 AMThe success of Microsoft's (MSFT) Windows 8 touch operating system depends as much as anything on components that cost under $10: hinges. Laptops and tablets with folding, sliding or detachable keyboards need to be able to survive much twisting, turning and poking. Toshiba has six engineers working just on hinges, H-P (HPQ) spent three months perfecting a new laptop with a detachable screen, and Lenovo built a machine that opened and closed computers a mere 25,000 times. |Sunday, Oct 282012, 3:45 AM| 8 Comments
Friday, Aug 242012, 5:04 AMApple (AAPL) is knocked to 4th from 2nd in China's smartphone market in Q2 after its market share halves to 10% as consumers wait for the next iPhone or buy a different brand, IDC figures show. Samsung (SSNLF.PK) remains the leader with 16% and Lenovo moves to number two with 11%. Smartphone shipments were 44M out of a total of 87M. |Friday, Aug 242012, 5:04 AM| 16 Comments
Monday, May 72012, 2:08 AM
- View all 8 replies
Tom Shaughnessy:: I believe Fairfax has quite a large amount of $ Wallace - as detailed in my article...
email@example.com:: Can't he also cover part of it with FFH stock if it came down to it?