Thu, Feb. 19, 3:16 PM
Wed, Feb. 11, 7:59 AM
- Lorillard (NYSE:LO) reports wholesale cigarette volume decreased 0.9% in Q4.
- Higher pricing help offset the volume slip.
- Gross profit rate fell 320 bps Y/Y to 38.1%.
- Electronic cigarette revenue -27.8% to $39M off of a tough compare which included promotions for a brand introduction.
- The company expects to close its merger with Reynolds American in the first half of the year.
Wed, Feb. 11, 7:04 AM
Tue, Feb. 10, 5:30 PM
Wed, Jan. 28, 9:44 AM
- Shareholders with Reynolds American (RAI +1.5%) have approved an issuance of shares in connection with the company's acquisition of Lorillard (LO +0.8%).
- The merger is still subject to regulatory approval.
- The company expects a closing in the first half of 2015.
- Reynolds American merger update (.pdf)
Mon, Jan. 26, 2:26 AM
- Reynolds (NYSE:RAI) Chief Executive Susan Cameron is confident shareholders will approve the Reynolds American and Lorillard (NYSE:LO) deal this Wednesday, which will combines the two to create a more formidable rival against Marlboro (NYSE:MO).
- Shareholders of Imperial Tobacco (OTCQX:ITYBY) (the third party which is expected to buy several brands of Reynolds American as part of the deal) are also expected to approve the transaction because it turns Imperial into the No. 3 player in the U.S.
- However, the real test for the merger and the related divestiture of brands will come later this quarter, when the FTC weighs in on deal.
- Previously: The FTC asks Reynolds American and Lorillard for more info on merger (Aug. 29 2014)
Sat, Jan. 24, 8:25 AM
- In a low-yield world, the newly launched iBillionaire High Dividend Index - which tracks the trading moves of 25 investing-savvy billionaire investors such as Stanley Druckenmiller, James Dinan and Nelson Peltz - actually lives up to its name with a dividend yield of 5.34%.
- At 24%, the index has a high allocation of energy shares, including OXY, TRP, CNP, COP, BP, ATLS, CVI, WMB, APL, RIG and ARP.
- Also worth noting is that the index contains some high-yielding mortgage REITs, an area most investors hate right now but where billionaires seem to find value; examples are NRF, AGNC and CIM.
- No mutual fund or ETF tracks this index, but it offers a fishing pond of income investment ideas to research further.
- The top 20 holdings: TLM, CVC, GM, TIME, AEE, D, STAY, KMI, TROX, EXC, STNG, PPL, IRM, PFE, KKR, KAR, F, MIC, LO, ABBV.
Thu, Jan. 22, 4:08 AM
- Following in the footsteps of Australia, which two years ago enacted a law forcing cigarettes to be sold in plain olive green packaging, the British government will try to pass a law before May forcing tobacco firms to sell cigarettes in plain packs.
- Around 3.4% fewer cigarettes were sold in Australia in 2013, compared with 2012.
- The tobacco industry has fiercely resisted the new law, arguing that plain packs infringe on the intellectual property rights covering brands.
- Related stocks: LO, PM, MO, VGR, RAI, OTCQX:ITYBY, BTI
Wed, Jan. 14, 8:10 AM
- The tobacco industry will see a big tailwind this year as payments for buyouts of tobacco growers end.
- Where the extra funds will go is still unknown until Q4 reports start to roll in. Further investment in e-cig development or volume/pricing actions are possibilities.
- Morgan Stanley sees an earnings boost of up to 5% due to the development, but is cautious on the "effectively priced" sector.
- Major tobacco stocks: LO, PM, MO, VGR, RAI, OTCQX:ITYBY, BTI.
Tue, Jan. 13, 1:04 PM
- Barclays sees dividend payouts on the S&P 500 increasing 7% this year to reach a yield of close to 2%.
- The investment firm recommends buying shares of companies in the index poised for top-line growth and dividend payout boosts.
- At least 6 consumer products/services companies make the Barclays list of attractive dividend stocks.
- Hershey (NYSE:HSY): 2.01% yield
- Yum Brands (NYSE:YUM): 2.24% yield
- PepsiCo (NYSE:PEP): 2.70% yield
- Lorillard (NYSE:LO): 3.80% yield
- Wyndham Worldwide (NYSE:WYN): 1.63% yield
- Macy's (NYSE:M): 1.89% yield
Dec. 15, 2014, 7:44 AM| 1 Comment
Dec. 11, 2014, 10:38 AM
- RBC Capital Markets picks Reynolds American (RAI) as its top tobacco stock for 2015.
- Though some regulatory hurdles remain to be cleared with the Lorillard (LO +0.8%) merger, the investment firm thinks the combined company will provide immediate value for shareholders.
- The last word from Reynolds was that it expected the merger to close in the first half of 2015.
Nov. 25, 2014, 3:54 AM
- China is considering a broad ban on smoking, including tobacco advertising, smoking in public places, prohibiting vending machine sales of cigarettes and cutting smoking scenes in film and TV.
- Up more than 10% from the year before, the country’s tobacco industry generated nearly 956B yuan ($155.6B) in taxes and profits in 2013.
- China is home to more than 300M smokers.
- Tobacco stocks: LO, PM, MO, VGR, RAI, OTCQX:ITYBY, BTI
Nov. 21, 2014, 7:48 AM| 1 Comment
Nov. 18, 2014, 4:32 PM
Nov. 13, 2014, 2:56 PM
- Teenagers are sampling electronic cigarettes at a higher rate, according to a study by the CDC.
- The number of high school student who tried an e-cig over the last 30 days was 4.5% vs. 2.8% a year ago.
- 12% of all high school students say they have tried the product.
- The CDC notes the impact of e-cigs use on public health remains uncertain.
- Related stocks: MO, BTI, LO, PM, OTCQB:ECIG, OTCQB:VAPE, OTCPK:HPNN, OTCQB:MCIG, OTCQB:NTRR, OTCPK:VAPR, RAI, OTCQB:AHII.
LO vs. ETF Alternatives
Lorillard Inc is engaged in the manufacture of cigarettes and tobacco in the United States. The Company's principal products are marketed under the brand names of Newport, Kent, True, Maverick and Old Gold with sales in the United States of America.
Other News & PR