Oct. 23, 2013, 7:48 AM
- Lorillard (LO) says it increased sales Y/Y of cigarettes and electronic cigarettes by $117M and $49M respectively during Q3.
- Higher average cigarette selling prices helped boost the company's gross margin by 80 bps to 37.1%. E-cigs contributed $15M to Lorillard's bottom line even with marketing costs high.
- Early adoption is everything. The company notes blu eCigs achieved a 49% market share in the U.S. for the e-cig category. (PR)
Oct. 23, 2013, 7:03 AM
Oct. 23, 2013, 12:05 AM
Oct. 22, 2013, 5:30 PM
Oct. 17, 2013, 3:09 PM
- First screening for stocks with a dividend yield of at least 3%, payout ratios of less than 75%, low debt, and compounded annual income growth of 5%, the team narrows it further by selecting those least correlated (in a negative way) to higher Treasury yields and with little near-term debt maturing.
- The list of 20: ABBV, AEE, AJG, DD, ESV, EPD, GIS, HRB, HBHC, KRFT, LO, MMP, MWE, MCD, MCHP, NEE, REG, TU, WSTC, WMB.
Oct. 16, 2013, 3:33 PM
- The e-cigarette market could see some disruption from increased government regulation with the FDA close to deciding how to treat the industry.
- Sales have seen a nice boost from marketing campaigns and TV ads, but if e-cigs are lumped in with regular tobacco products by the government agency all that is subject to change.
- Tobacco companies active in marketing e-cigarettes have asked for a chance to meet with the FDA to try to persuade them to allow most forms of advertising.
- Related stocks: MO, PM, LO, RAI, BTI, ITYBY.PK
Oct. 7, 2013, 9:59 AM
- The U.S. Supreme Court rejects an argument by tobacco companies that the high court should intervene in a case in Florida.
- The industry is trying to limit the damage from a ruling in a 2006 case that threatens to open the door to more liability in smoking-related lawsuits.
- Related stocks: RAI, LO, MO, VGR.
Oct. 2, 2013, 3:15 PM
- Big tobacco (LO, RAI, MO) may snap up some more independent electronic cigarette players after Lorillard set the stage with a $100M investment in SkyCig.
- The industry considers e-cigarettes an insurance policy against further regulations on traditional tobacco products while the cost of entry isn't that high for a group accustomed to spending billions on buybacks and dividends.
Oct. 1, 2013, 9:25 AM| 1 Comment
Sep. 12, 2013, 7:55 AM| Comment!
Aug. 22, 2013, 8:12 PM
- The FDA is considering a ban on online sales of electronic cigarettes, as part of a package of regulations the agency is readying for the increasingly popular devices.
- The agency warned in 2009 that e-cigarettes could pose health risks, and has been meeting with e-cigarette makers this week to hear their views on its proposed regulations for the industry.
- The agency is expected to formally unveil its proposals in October, after several delays.
- E-cigarettes pose a competitive threat to traditional tobacco companies, which has prompted some to buy into the industry. In April 2012, Lorillard (LO) paid $135M for Blu Ecigs, based in Charlotte, N.C.
Aug. 16, 2013, 9:22 AM
Jul. 25, 2013, 7:11 AM
Jul. 25, 2013, 12:05 AMNotable earnings before Thursday’s open: ABB, ACT, AEP, AIXG, ALK, ALKS, ARG, ASH , ASPS, BC, BG, BIIB, BLL, BMS,BMY, BSX, BWA, CAB, CAM, CCE, CELG, CFX , CL, CMS, CNX, COR, CPN, CRI,CRR, CS, CHS, DAN, DFT, DHI, DLX, DNKN , DO, DOW, DST, EQT, ESI, FAF,FLIR, GG, GM, GNC, GPK, GRA, HNT, HOG , HOT, HSY, IDCC, IMAX, IP, JAH,JNS, KEM, KMT, LAZ, LL, LM, LO, LUV , MDP, MDSO, MGI, MHFI, MJN, MMM,NBL, NMM, NXTM, ODFL, ORI, PACR, PCP, PDS , PHM, PNK, POT, PTEN, QSII, RCL,RDWR, RS, RTN, RYN, SIRI,SLAB, STC, STRA, SUI, TKR, UA, UFS, USG , UTHR, VCI, VDSI, VLY, WAB, WCC,XRX, YNDX, ZMH | Comment!
Jul. 24, 2013, 5:30 PMNotable earnings before Thursday’s open: ABB, ACT, AEP, AIXG, ALK, ALKS, ARG, ASH , ASPS, BC, BG, BIIB, BLL, BMS,BMY, BSX, BWA, CAB, CAM, CCE, CELG, CFX , CL, CMS, CNX, COR, CPN, CRI,CRR, CS, CHS, DAN, DFT, DHI, DLX, DNKN , DO, DOW, DST, EQT, ESI, FAF,FLIR, GG, GM, GNC, GPK, GRA, HNT, HOG , HOT, HSY, IDCC, IMAX, IP, JAH,JNS, KEM, KMT, LAZ, LL, LM, LO, LUV , MDP, MDSO, MGI, MHFI, MJN, MMM,NBL, NMM, NXTM, ODFL, ORI, PACR, PCP, PDS , PHM, PNK, POT, PTEN, QSII, RCL,RDWR, RS, RTN, RYN, SIRI,SLAB, STC, STRA, SUI, TKR, UA, UFS, USG , UTHR, VCI, VDSI, VLY, WAB, WCC,XRX, YNDX, ZMH | Comment!
Jul. 23, 2013, 1:31 PMWeakness in Reynolds America (RAI -2.3%), Altria (MO -2.6%), and Lorillard (LO -4.3%) following FDA guidance on the dangers of menthol cigarettes is likely a buying opportunity Wells Fargo says. The language used by the FDA is "somewhat softer than the menthol language from TPSAC's recommendation," analyst Bonnie Herzog notes, adding that this suggests "a ban is very unlikely." Asked about the report on this morning's call, MO CEO Martin Barrington said: "I heard about the headline when I walked into the room and was focused on the call, so I haven't looked at any of this." (Also: MO earnings, CC transcript) | 3 Comments
LO vs. ETF Alternatives
Lorillard Inc is engaged in the manufacture of cigarettes and tobacco in the United States. The Company's principal products are marketed under the brand names of Newport, Kent, True, Maverick and Old Gold with sales in the United States of America.
Other News & PR