Jun. 18, 2014, 3:08 PM
- Perhaps a surprise, but it's Allegiant Travel (ALGT +1%) that is the airline stock which has generated the best return on invested capital over the last year, according to Deutschce Bank.
- The industry (AAL, LUV, DAL, UAL) as a whole is still realizing plenty of merger benefits and capacity gains.
- Though the investment firm is still bullish on most of the group, JetBlue (JBLU -0.1%) and Republic Airways (RJET +0.8%) might present the most upside, reasons DB.
Jun. 17, 2014, 7:23 AM
Jun. 12, 2014, 12:19 PM
- Airline stocks take another beating after yesterday's warning from Lufthansa on pricing continues to sour the mood on the group and the prospect of higher oil prices crops up with Iraqi in chaos.
- Regional carriers in the U.S. aren't being spared in the broad sell-off.
- Decliners: United Continental (UAL) -5.7%, Southwest Airlines (LUV) -4.5%, Delta Air Lines (DAL) -5.1%, JetBlue (JBLU) -3.9%, Alaska Air Group (ALK) -3.4%, American Airlines Group (AAL) -6.4%, Allegiant Travel (ALGT) -3.7%, Hawaiian Holdings (HA) -4.1%.
Jun. 9, 2014, 2:58 PM
Jun. 2, 2014, 8:32 AM
- IATA cuts its forecast for airline profits on concerns China's economy will slow down.
- The impact of increased regulatory and infrastructure costs in Europe are also a concern.
- The revised outlook from IATA is for industry profits of $18.0B this year, down from a March estimate of $18.7B.
- Related stocks: AAL, UAL, DAL, RYAAY, CPCAY, SINGY, CEA, ZNH, CPA, GOL, LFL, DLAKF, AIDIF, QUBSF, JBLU,ALK, HA, AIRYY, MLYAF, AFLYY, VLRS, LUV.
May. 30, 2014, 1:41 PM
- Southwest Airlines (LUV -0.2%) got rapped on the knuckles again by the DOT for violating rules on fare advertising.
- The carrier marketed a $59 fare from Atlanta to New York, L.A., and Chicago for routes that were already sold out.
- Southwest must cough up $200K for the misdeed.
- What to watch: Industry insiders think the lush profits turned up by airliners in Q1 will increase the focus on fare manipulation and misleading advertising by regulators.
May. 28, 2014, 10:17 AM
- IATA reports a 7.5% Y/Y increase in passenger traffic for April with international routes showing a stronger pace of growth than domestic flights.
- Growth breakdown by geographic region: Asia-Pacific +6.7%; Europe +7.9%; North America +4.9%; Middle East +18.6%; Latin America +8.2%, Africa +3.9%.
- Airline stocks: AAL, UAL, DAL, RYAAY, CPCAY, SINGY, CEA, ZNH, CPA, GOL, LFL, DLAKF, AIDIF, QUBSF, JBLU, SAVE, ALK, HA, AIRYY, MLYAF, AFLYY, VLRS, SKYW, RJET, LUV.
May. 23, 2014, 7:44 AM
- Southwest Airlines (LUV) CFO Tammy Romo tipped off during a chat at the Wolfe Research 7th Annual Global Transportation Conference that the carrier is seeing strong momentum in Q2.
- The strong pace of bookings comes with unit costs only rising moderately at Southwest.
- No give on Southwest's free bag policy.
- Presentation webcast
May. 15, 2014, 2:39 PM
- U.S. airliners flew 52.4M passengers in February, flat growth from the year-ago period.
- The group showed greater efficiency this year with fewer flights flown during the month.
- The average flight length also increased during the month which is a boost to profitability for the sector.
- Related stocks: LUV, UAL, DAL, JBLU, ALK, HA, SAVE, ALGT, RJET.
- DOT passenger data
May. 15, 2014, 1:01 PM
- Southwest Airlines (LUV -0.5%) CEO Gary Kelly says the carrier isn't considering tacking on baggage fees or check-in fees as it keep to its indy spirit.
- The company's own research indicates it would lose more money from defecting customers than it would capture in fees if it pulled the switch.
- Critics have suggested Southwest has lost some of its cachet with consumers with legacy carriers flying under new banners.
May. 14, 2014, 11:42 AM
May. 14, 2014, 11:31 AM
May. 9, 2014, 10:10 AM| 6 Comments
May. 8, 2014, 8:20 AM
May. 5, 2014, 3:10 PM
- Southwest Airlines (LUV +0.5%) says it will build a new reservation platform which will help it improve its domestic reservations system and expand on the launch its international flight capabilities.
- The ability to codeshare flights from other airlines will be a major innovation of the new platform.
- The company says it will take several years for IT partner Amadeus to complete the project.
May. 2, 2014, 1:33 PM
- Southwest Airlines (LUV -0.8%) vows it will improve its on-time performance after ranking near the bottom of recent reports put out by the DOT.
- The carrier has suffered through a bit of slump with consumers on a variety of fronts to the degree that analysts have warned it could effect pricing power if it continues for too long.
- CEO Gary Kelly says Southwest will back off some of the aggressive scheduling changes it made in 2013 in order to boost revenue.
LUV vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR