Yesterday, 5:35 PM
Yesterday, 12:43 PM
- Today's Russian interest rate cut has taken its toll on the long-suffering ruble -- and therefore on ruble-related telecom firms.
- The ruble's made up a bit of ground from earlier, now at 70.12 vs. the dollar.
- Mobile TeleSystems (NYSE:MBT) is down 2.8%; MiMES Rostelekom (OTCQX:ROSYY) down 4.2%; Turkcell (NYSE:TKC) down 1.8%.
- The interest-rate cut to 15% today followed a hike to 17% last month and points to more volatility ahead for the currency and for firms in ruble-related markets.
- Previously: Russia central bank cuts key rate (Jan. 30 2015)
Mon, Jan. 26, 1:21 PM
- The ruble/dollar exchange rate is down to 67.9 after the U.S. and EU threatened Russia with new sanctions in the wake of a new offensive by pro-Russian Ukranian rebels. Meanwhile, S&P has downgraded Russia's debt rating to BB+ (junk status) from BBB-.
- Yandex (YNDX -4%), Qiwi (QIWI -2.6%), VimpelCom (VIP -2%), and MTS (MBT -8.2%) aren't reacting well. Russia's MICEX Index fell 1.8% today. The dollar-based Russia Trading System Cash Index fell 5%.
Mon, Jan. 26, 12:46 PM
Mon, Jan. 12, 2:59 PM
- Yandex (YNDX -3.1%), Qiwi (QIWI -6.5%), VimpelCom (VIP -3.1%) and MTS (MBT -4.2%) are following the ruble lower once more. The dollar/ruble exchange rate is currently at 63.05.
- In the news today: 1) Angela Merkel has warned about a lack of progress at a 4-way summit aimed at easing Ukraine tensions. 2) Goldman has cut its 3-month dollar/ruble target to 70 and its 12-month target to 60, citing the impact of low oil prices. 3) The Russian central bank discloses it has respectively spent $76B and €5.4B to prop up the ruble against the dollar and euro. 4) The president of Russia's regional banking association warns "a wave of bankruptcies" could hit the country.
Thu, Jan. 8, 10:13 AM
- Russia' MICEX Index is up 5.2%, joining many European indices in rallying. The ruble, meanwhile, has risen 3.9% against the dollar; the exchange rate is currently at 60.48.
- Yandex (YNDX +7.3%), Qiwi (QIWI +7.1%), and MTS (MBT +8%) have shot higher in response. Yandex, less than $4 above a 52-week low of $15.03, currently goes for 22x 2015E EPS at current exchange rates. Its 2015 revenue growth consensus (in rubles) is at 20.5%.
Thu, Jan. 8, 9:15 AM
Dec. 31, 2014, 12:06 PM
- VimpelCom (VIP -6.1%), MTS (MBT -4.3%), Yandex (YNDX -2.6%), and Qiwi (QIWI -2.4%) are ending what has been a very tough year for nearly any Russia-related investment on a down note.
- The government's statistics ministry stated today 2014 inflation is expected to come in at 11.4% thanks to the ruble's plunge. Food prices are expected to post a 15.4% increase, non-food products an 8.1% increase, and service charges a 10.5% increase. Consumer prices are up 2.6% M/M in December.
- YTD declines: YNDX -58%. QIWI -63%. VIP -68%. MBT -65%.
Dec. 18, 2014, 12:54 PM
- Russian carrier MTS (MBT +24.7%) has soared on a day Russia's MICEX index rose 4.5%. Rival VimpelCom (VIP +5.7%) and online payments firm Qiwi (QIWI +5%) are also outperforming.
- The ruble has seen relatively modest price swings today after plunging on Monday and Tuesday, and rebounding on Wednesday. The dollar/ruble exchange rate is currently at 61.04.
- Yesterday: Russian tech/telecom stocks rebound
Dec. 18, 2014, 12:47 PM
Dec. 18, 2014, 9:14 AM| 9 Comments
Dec. 17, 2014, 1:29 PM
- Battered in recent days as crude oil plunged and took the ruble down with it, Yandex (YNDX +6.3%), Qiwi (QIWI +5%), VimpelCom (VIP +17.9%), and MTS (MBT +9.3%) are rebounding sharply today. Yandex is up 19% from a Tuesday morning low of $15.03.
- Helping the group out: The ruble has rallied after Russia's Finance Ministry began selling foreign currency; Monday's big rate hike is undoubtedly also playing a role. The ruble/dollar exchange rate now stands at 60.6.
Dec. 16, 2014, 9:35 AM
- Yandex (YNDX -11.6%), Qiwi (QIWI -11.9%), VimpelCom (VIP -6.8%), and MTS (MBT -11.5%) continue to get battered as the ruble continues plunging in spite of the Russian central bank's decision to hike its key rate to 17%.
- The ruble/dollar exchange rate has soared to 71.9. Though up on a ruble basis, Russia's MICEX index is down sharply on a dollar basis.
- Yesterday: Yandex, Qiwi, VimpelCom, MTS slammed thanks to ruble's crash
Dec. 16, 2014, 9:10 AM
Dec. 15, 2014, 11:50 AM
- The ruble is down over 6% today against the dollar amid ongoing worries about weak oil prices, sanctions, and capital flight. Yandex (YNDX -8.2%), Qiwi (QIWI -12.4%), VimpelCom (VIP -8.6%), and MTS (MBT -11.2%) are all seeing huge losses.
- Yandex rallied on Friday after Google announced it's shutting down its Russian engineering office. With the ruble/dollar conversion rate now at 62:1 (up from less than 40:1 earlier this year), Yandex trades for 21x 2015E EPS.
Dec. 8, 2014, 10:37 AM
- Russia's MICEX Index is down 2.9%, as worries about plunging oil prices (coming in the wake of sanctions placed earlier this year) continue taking a toll. WTI crude is down $1.46 today to $64.38, after Morgan Stanley slashed its oil price forecasts.
- Yandex (YNDX -7.3%), Qiwi (QIWI -6.5%), VimpelCom (VIP -5%), and MTS (MBT -5.5%) aren't faring well in U.S. trading.
- ETFs: RSX, RUSL, RUSS, ERUS, RBL
MBT vs. ETF Alternatives
Mobile Telesystems OJSC provides telecommunications services including voice and data transmission, internet access, pay TV, various value added services through wireless and fixed lines and sells equipment and accessories.
Other News & PR