Mar. 31, 2014, 9:32 AM
- The breakfast war between McDonald's (MCD) and Taco Bell (YUM) has gone viral with both sides taking their online marketing spin to higher levels.
- The entry by the Yum Brands chain into the $50B fast-food breakfast market hasn't gone unnoticed by McDonald's which is vigorously defending its turf.
- This week and next, McDonald's is offering a free small coffee to all customers at participating restaurants.
Mar. 28, 2014, 10:30 AM
- McDonald's (MCD +0.4%) announces it will run a free coffee promotion from March 31 to April 13 across the U.S.
- Customers can receive their free small coffee during breakfast hours at participating restaurants.
- What to watch: The initiative appears to be a direct shot at stealing the thunder away from Taco Bell's large breakfast push. Taco Bell has coffee, but is still working on upgrading stores to sell premium coffee products.
- Earlier this week, an exec with Taco Bell (YUM) said the company will push marketing lever it has to win breakfast share. It appears the next lever for the chain is free coffee.
Mar. 27, 2014, 1:38 PM
- McDonald's (MCD +0.4%) is still toying with its pricing in the U.S. and abroad.
- The new Bacon Clubhouse burger which sells for just under $5 in the U.S. indicates the restaurant chain isn't willing to cede ground in the premium part of the market despite some hiccups.
- In Switzerland, McDonald's has taken premium to another level. A new $12 Swiss beef concoction which includes bacon and coleslaw has the looks of an one-hit wonder.
- Some restaurant analysts have criticized management at McDonald's for its scattered pricing strategy. They think Burger King and Wendy's have sent a clearer message to consumers.
Mar. 26, 2014, 9:15 AM
- Analysts see a significant benefit if McDonald's (MCD) refranchises a large number of global stores.
- By the some estimates, the financial engineering could save $90M in general and administrative expenses.
- Earlier this month, McDonald's CFO Pete Bensen signaled an openness to optimize the company's structure at a BofA retail conference.
Mar. 20, 2014, 3:24 PM| 8 Comments
Mar. 18, 2014, 2:29 PM| 12 Comments
Mar. 18, 2014, 8:53 AM
- The price of milk rose to an all-time high yesterday on the back of strong demand from global buyers.
- A tough winter in the U.S. has also curtailed production tallies.
- Most of the additional milk costs are being passed on to consumers, according to data from the USDA. Milk prices rose 27% Y/Y in February.
- Analysts are split on how much wiggle room companies have to boost prices higher with consumers before hitting stiff resistance.
- Milk futures charts
- Stocks with a tie-in to milk: SJM, DF, NSRGY, WWAV, LWAY, DNKN, MCD, SBUX, KO, GIS, SYUT, ADY.
Mar. 13, 2014, 12:56 PM
Mar. 12, 2014, 7:08 AM
- Breakfast traffic at restaurants increased 3% last year to easily outpace lunch and dinner visits which both showed declines, according to NPD data.
- Quick service restaurants accounted for close to 80% of all the breakfast visits by consumers.
- McDonald's (MCD) and Starbucks (SBUX) strengthened their breakfast market share position during the year, but a host of companies including Taco Bell (YUM) and Chipotle (CMG) are testing new formats and breakfast items.
Mar. 11, 2014, 10:36 AM
- Shares of McDonald's (MCD +3.3%) are on the move this morning to reach their highest levels since last November after CFO Pete Bensen presents at the Bank of America Merrill Lynch 2014 Consumer & Retail Conference.
- Yesterday, the company reported a decline in global comparable-store sales for February and warned on Q1 margins, but today investors are in a forgiving mood as the company makes the case in great detail that the problem is fixable.
- The exec says the company will look to stabilize its performance in the U.S., Germany, and Japan this year. He also points to growth in key emerging markets.
- McDonald's expects to return $5B to shareholders this year and will look to optimize its capital structure.
Mar. 10, 2014, 8:31 AM
- McDonald's (MCD) warns that its flattish trend of global comp sales this year will pressure margins in Q1. It's the first time the company has seen back-to-back drops in global comparable store sales in close to 11 years.
- Though demand in Europe has held up well, the company is having trouble gaining traction in the U.S. and Japan.
- Retail analysts are also quick to note that McDonald's had a pretty easy comp in February, the two-year stack doesn't make it look any stronger.
- MCD -0.1% premarket
Mar. 10, 2014, 8:07 AM| 7 Comments
Mar. 7, 2014, 2:37 PM
- A line of clothes inspired by McDonald's (MCD -0.5%) was the surprise inclusion at recent fashion shows in Europe as part of Moschino's latest designs
- The fashion house is also displaying styles from Anheuser-Busch InBev and Hershey in an Andy Warhol-inspired homage to pop culture.
- Seeing is believing: $1,265 McDonald's-inspired Moschino handbag
Mar. 5, 2014, 9:06 AM
- A recent poll by the Wall Street Journal and NBC indicates 63% of American support raising the minimum wage.
- Though the Republicans are expected to challenge anything brought to the floor of the House, there's a growing consensus in DC that some minimum wage legislation will eventually pass.
- Democrats argue that the current minimum wage level of $7.25 per hour is low by historical standards when adjusted for inflation.
- Related stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, CEC, LUB, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN, AEO, ANF, ARO, BBBY, BJ, CHS, COST, DG, DLTR, GPS, HD, JCP, JWN, KR, KSS, LOW, LB, NDN, ODP, PIR, PLCE, RSH, SPLS, SWY, TGT, TJX, URBN, WMT
Mar. 3, 2014, 2:40 PM| Comment!
Feb. 26, 2014, 2:44 PM
- Three Senate Democrats have broken away from Majority Leader Harry Reid's $10.10/hour line in the sand on minimum wage legislation.
- Mary Landrieu of Louisiana, Mark Pryor of Arkansas, and Mark Warner of Virginia have all tipped off that they think there could be some room to negotiate over the amount of an increase over the current federal minimum wage of $7.25/hour. The GOP likes the status quo, but is viewed as likely to give some ground in an election year.
- Federal minimum wage legislation could create higher costs in the retail and restaurants sectors as companies adjust to the new higher floor.
- Last week, Gap made a preemptive move to raise its own hourly wage in a development that stirred the pot a little bit.
- Related stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, CEC, LUB, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN, AEO, ANF, ARO, BBBY, BJ, CHS, COST, DG, DLTR, GPS, HD, JCP, JWN, KR, KSS, LOW, LB, NDN, ODP, PIR, PLCE, RSH, SPLS, SWY, TGT, TJX, URBN, WMT.
MCD vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR