Apr. 22, 2014, 11:57 AM
- The sale slide by McDonald's (MCD +0.3%) in the U.S. during Q1 is tied to soft weather-related traffic patterns more than pricing or mix factors. The company actually increased prices in Q1 or the margin crimp would have been worse.
- The company expects April global comparable store sales to be modestly positive after the Q1 comp came in negative.
- There is a focus on breakfast during the call. Execs say that the new breakfast player (Taco Bell) hasn't impacted sales for McDonald's. They also note the significant advantage the chain has with its kitchens geared for breakfast.
- Execs say the company will open 1.5K restaurants this year.
- Investing in digital initiatives will pick up, but the company won't come right out and say an app is on the way.
- Earnings call webcast
Apr. 22, 2014, 8:20 AM
- Shares of McDonald's (MCD) reverse themselves in early action to move 0.5% higher despite an earnings miss with the company's Q1 report.
- Analysts are chomping on the bit to get a crack at execs on the firm's upcoming conference call. Question on food input costs and growth in China will be key. Also, watch for any color on if comp sales in Q2 are trending positive.
- The company blamed severe weather in the U.S. for sales sliding in Q1. Which analyst will ask how Chipotle pulled off a double-digit comp during the same period amid the same tough weather?
- McDonald's earnings call webcast
Apr. 22, 2014, 8:07 AM
- McDonald's (MCD) comes in a tad short with its results for Q1 with weakness in the U.S. a significant factor.
- The company saw global comparable store sales increase 0.5% on decent growth in regions outside the U.S.
- Comparable store sales fell 1.7% in the U.S. during Q1 amid "challenging" industry dynamics. Operating income was down 3% Y/Y.
- MCD -0.1% premarket
Apr. 22, 2014, 7:58 AM
Apr. 22, 2014, 12:05 AM
Apr. 21, 2014, 5:30 PM
Apr. 16, 2014, 6:54 AM| Comment!
Apr. 10, 2014, 12:31 PM
- Shares of McDonald's (MCD +1.3%) trade at their highest level since last July as the restaurant "staples" attracts renewed interest from investors.
- A well-timed free coffee week at the restaurant chain helped to take the steam out of Taco Bell's national breakfast roll-out, note analysts.
- Technical traders are making some noise about the move in McDonald's. A close of over $100 could add to the excitement.
Apr. 4, 2014, 2:30 PM
- McDonald's (MCD +0.2%) announces it will exit Crimea as Russian politicians make some noise about U.S. fast food chains.
- The company fears a backlash in Crimea.
- The deputy speaker of the Russian parliament said his Liberal Democratic party would organize pickets at McDonald's outlets in Russia.
- Russia was identified as a top seven market by McDonald's last year.
Apr. 4, 2014, 9:08 AM
- Burger King (BKW) isn't sitting out the all-out war for fast-food breakfast traffic, observes Hedgeye's Howard Penney.
- As Taco Bell (YUM) aggressively markets its new breakfast menu and McDonald's (MCD) promotes a free coffee week, Burger King has numerous breakfast items on sale at the $1 price point.
- Restaurant analysts see the three chains fighting for the same early on-the-go crowd, while Starbucks (SBUX) maintains its market share.
Apr. 2, 2014, 1:17 PM
- The National Retail Federation wants Congress to pass the bipartisan Save American Workers Act to amend the Affordable Care Act’s definition of full-time employment from 30 hours per week to 40 hours a week.
- The measure could have important consequences for the restaurant industry.
- Restaurant stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, SONC, WEN, THI, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN
Mar. 31, 2014, 1:40 PM
- The National Restaurant Association's Restaurant Performance Index stood above 100 for the 12th straight month after ending February at 100.5.
- The index dropped 20 bps from the level seen in January. On a year-over-year comparison, the index was 0.6% higher.
- "Looking forward, operators are generally optimistic about sales gains in the months ahead, although they aren’t as bullish about the overall economy," notes the industry association.
- Related stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, BKW, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN.
Mar. 31, 2014, 9:32 AM
- The breakfast war between McDonald's (MCD) and Taco Bell (YUM) has gone viral with both sides taking their online marketing spin to higher levels.
- The entry by the Yum Brands chain into the $50B fast-food breakfast market hasn't gone unnoticed by McDonald's which is vigorously defending its turf.
- This week and next, McDonald's is offering a free small coffee to all customers at participating restaurants.
Mar. 28, 2014, 10:30 AM
- McDonald's (MCD +0.4%) announces it will run a free coffee promotion from March 31 to April 13 across the U.S.
- Customers can receive their free small coffee during breakfast hours at participating restaurants.
- What to watch: The initiative appears to be a direct shot at stealing the thunder away from Taco Bell's large breakfast push. Taco Bell has coffee, but is still working on upgrading stores to sell premium coffee products.
- Earlier this week, an exec with Taco Bell (YUM) said the company will push marketing lever it has to win breakfast share. It appears the next lever for the chain is free coffee.
Mar. 27, 2014, 1:38 PM
- McDonald's (MCD +0.4%) is still toying with its pricing in the U.S. and abroad.
- The new Bacon Clubhouse burger which sells for just under $5 in the U.S. indicates the restaurant chain isn't willing to cede ground in the premium part of the market despite some hiccups.
- In Switzerland, McDonald's has taken premium to another level. A new $12 Swiss beef concoction which includes bacon and coleslaw has the looks of an one-hit wonder.
- Some restaurant analysts have criticized management at McDonald's for its scattered pricing strategy. They think Burger King and Wendy's have sent a clearer message to consumers.
Mar. 26, 2014, 9:15 AM
- Analysts see a significant benefit if McDonald's (MCD) refranchises a large number of global stores.
- By the some estimates, the financial engineering could save $90M in general and administrative expenses.
- Earlier this month, McDonald's CFO Pete Bensen signaled an openness to optimize the company's structure at a BofA retail conference.
MCD vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR