Aug. 27, 2014, 3:25 PM
- Execs with Chipotle (CMG -1.1%) are full of swagger after blasting away restaurant peers with a 17% gain in comparable-store sales in Q2.
- The general take from inside the Denver juggernaut is that no other company is accomplishing what Chipotle is doing at scale and in a sustainable fashion.
- Co-CEO Monty Moran goes as far as to say the traditional QSR game of value meals and "cheapening" the food experience is going away. Though he didn't name names, his description brings burger giant McDonald's (MCD +0.5%) and Burger King (BKW -3%) to mind.
- What to watch: Chipotle is planning to apply some of the same principles that worked with the burrito chain to the ShopHouse and Pizzeria Locale concepts.
Aug. 27, 2014, 8:56 AM| 3 Comments
Aug. 26, 2014, 3:40 AM
- A fifth McDonald's (NYSE:MCD) restaurant has been closed in Russia, following the ongoing inspections by Rospotrebnadzor - Russia's food safety regulator.
- Despite the increase in closures, Deputy Prime Minister Arkady Dvorkovich previously highlighted that Russian authorities are not planning on closing the chain in the country, but are rather inspecting sanitary violations.
Aug. 25, 2014, 1:54 PM
- Larger restaurant chain operators might be looking to buy their way into growth to follow the lead of Burger King Worldwide, speculates MarketWatch.com
- A filtered ranking of the top 10 North American restaurant chains with the best growth of sales per share ended up with Chipotle (CMG) and Buffalo Wild Wings (BWLD +2.1%) at the top of the list.
- Sorting the list by lowest forward P-E ratio leaves Texas Roadhouse (TXRH +1.9%), Cheesecake Factory (CAKE +1.4%), and (perhaps a surprise) Yum Brands (YUM +0.9%) looking like potential M&A targets.
- Other restaurant stocks: CBRL, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BDL, NATH, LUB, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN.
Aug. 25, 2014, 9:20 AM
- Shares of McDonald's (NYSE:MCD) are higher in premarket trading, showing little anxiety over a potential merger between Burger King and Tim Hortons.
- Despite the threat of an expansion of the Tim Hortons chain, restaurant sector analysts see an opportunity for the marketing mavens at McDonald's to get quite busy with an "All-American" message to consumers.
- MCD +0.4% premarket
Aug. 24, 2014, 9:42 AM
- Despite the closing of three McDonald's (NYSE:MCD) restaurants in Moscow, Deputy Prime Minister Arkady Dvorkovich says Russian authorities are not planning on closing the chain in the country.
- "No one is talking about it at all (a ban on McDonald's in Russia)," says Dvorkovich. "It has just happened that the inspections were completed at the same time."
- The outlets were closed as Russia introduced a one-year ban on agricultural imports from the West in retaliation over U.S. and European sanctions.
Aug. 22, 2014, 10:03 AM
- McDonald's (MCD +0.3%) names Mike Andres as its new top executive in the U.S. to replace Jeff Stratton who will resign in October.
- Andres worked his way up at the Golden Arches after starting as a store manager.
- McDonald's has lost market share in the U.S. this year with fast-food peers putting up stronger comps.
Aug. 21, 2014, 3:05 AM
- Russia's food safety regulator Rospotrebnadzor says it is now conducting spot checks at McDonald's (NYSE:MCD) restaurants in the Sverdlovsk region of the country.
- Yesterday, Russia temporarily closed four McDonald's restaurants in Moscow, stating possible sanitary violations.
- The closures come amid tensions between Russia and the West, and an extensive ban on agricultural imports in retaliation over U.S. sanctions.
Aug. 19, 2014, 10:39 AM
- Citigroup reiterates its Neutral rating on McDonald's (MCD +0.3%) after sizing up the restaurant operator's flattish Q2 report.
- The investment firm has a price target of $101 on MCD.
- Shares of McDonald's have resisted the urge to drop below $92 over the last year with the company's +3% dividend yield providing support.
Aug. 19, 2014, 9:48 AM| 4 Comments
Aug. 11, 2014, 7:49 AM
- A number of restaurant chains in China have posted supplier information on their local websites in response to the concerns of consumers.
- The action from McDonald's (NYSE:MCD), Burger King (NYSE:BKW), Carl's Jr., and Yum Brands (NYSE:YUM) is in response to a request from Shanghai's Municipal Food and Drug Administration.
Aug. 8, 2014, 8:49 AM
- Though results for McDonald's (NYSE:MCD) in China were worse than expected in July, it's the fast-food giant's performance in the U.S. that has restaurant industry analysts concerned.
- They note that there's no hiding the U.S. market share gains of Jack in the Box, Burger King, and Wendy's in McDonald's key category - while also adding the chain has done little to disrupt the momentum at Chipotle and Starbucks.
- MCD -0.5% premarket as traders note the lush 3.5% MCD dividend yield offers share a nice backstop.
Aug. 8, 2014, 8:21 AM
- McDonald's (NYSE:MCD) reports global comparable-store sales fell 2.5% in July vs. -2.6% expected.
- Comps in the U.S. fell 3.2% during the month.
- Europe showed a 0.5% comp gain, while the Asia/Pacific, Middle East and Africa region was down 7.3% due largely to the food supplier issue in China.
- The company says its global comparable sale forecast for 2014 is now at risk as a result of the China supplier issue.
- MCD -0.6% to $92.72
Aug. 7, 2014, 7:46 AM| 1 Comment
Aug. 6, 2014, 8:14 AM
- McDonald's (NYSE:MCD) is testing a new promotion in South Florida in which drive-in customers are guaranteed that their orders will be ready in 60 seconds.
- If the participating stores miss on the one-minute deadline, customers will receive a free lunch item on their next visit.
- What to watch: The lightning-fast speed of Chipotle's order processing has caught the eyes of the QSR industry as it continues to churn out double-digit comps. Look for McDonald's to make order processing speed a larger priority in 2H.
Aug. 4, 2014, 11:05 AM
- McDonald's (MCD -0.6%) indicates in a SEC filing that the food safety issue tied to a supplier from China affected markets representing 10% of its revenue.
- MCD statement: "While this matter will negatively impact results in the near term, we cannot reasonably estimate the impact on full year 2014 earnings at this time."
MCD vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR