Aug. 19, 2014, 10:39 AM
- Citigroup reiterates its Neutral rating on McDonald's (MCD +0.3%) after sizing up the restaurant operator's flattish Q2 report.
- The investment firm has a price target of $101 on MCD.
- Shares of McDonald's have resisted the urge to drop below $92 over the last year with the company's +3% dividend yield providing support.
Aug. 19, 2014, 9:48 AM| 4 Comments
Aug. 11, 2014, 7:49 AM
- A number of restaurant chains in China have posted supplier information on their local websites in response to the concerns of consumers.
- The action from McDonald's (NYSE:MCD), Burger King (NYSE:BKW), Carl's Jr., and Yum Brands (NYSE:YUM) is in response to a request from Shanghai's Municipal Food and Drug Administration.
Aug. 8, 2014, 8:49 AM
- Though results for McDonald's (NYSE:MCD) in China were worse than expected in July, it's the fast-food giant's performance in the U.S. that has restaurant industry analysts concerned.
- They note that there's no hiding the U.S. market share gains of Jack in the Box, Burger King, and Wendy's in McDonald's key category - while also adding the chain has done little to disrupt the momentum at Chipotle and Starbucks.
- MCD -0.5% premarket as traders note the lush 3.5% MCD dividend yield offers share a nice backstop.
Aug. 8, 2014, 8:21 AM
- McDonald's (NYSE:MCD) reports global comparable-store sales fell 2.5% in July vs. -2.6% expected.
- Comps in the U.S. fell 3.2% during the month.
- Europe showed a 0.5% comp gain, while the Asia/Pacific, Middle East and Africa region was down 7.3% due largely to the food supplier issue in China.
- The company says its global comparable sale forecast for 2014 is now at risk as a result of the China supplier issue.
- MCD -0.6% to $92.72
Aug. 7, 2014, 7:46 AM| 1 Comment
Aug. 6, 2014, 8:14 AM
- McDonald's (NYSE:MCD) is testing a new promotion in South Florida in which drive-in customers are guaranteed that their orders will be ready in 60 seconds.
- If the participating stores miss on the one-minute deadline, customers will receive a free lunch item on their next visit.
- What to watch: The lightning-fast speed of Chipotle's order processing has caught the eyes of the QSR industry as it continues to churn out double-digit comps. Look for McDonald's to make order processing speed a larger priority in 2H.
Aug. 4, 2014, 11:05 AM
- McDonald's (MCD -0.6%) indicates in a SEC filing that the food safety issue tied to a supplier from China affected markets representing 10% of its revenue.
- MCD statement: "While this matter will negatively impact results in the near term, we cannot reasonably estimate the impact on full year 2014 earnings at this time."
Aug. 4, 2014, 8:06 AM| 8 Comments
Aug. 4, 2014, 4:02 AM
- McDonald’s (NYSE:MCD) will restore its full menu in China later this week, after the fast-food chain pulled many items for almost two weeks due to the expired meat investigation at Shanghai Husi Food, a unit of McDonald’s long-term supplier OSI Group.
- While McDonalds will continue using food from OSI’s alternate operations in China, other brands like Yum (NYSE:YUM) and Burger King (NYSE:BKW) have cut ties with OSI since the food scandal.
Jul. 30, 2014, 11:10 AM
- McDonald's (MCD -0.2%) will have to be a defendent in cases brought before the NLRB against its franchisees, according to a ruling by the NRB general counsel
- If the 5-person NLRB ruling board agrees on the distinction of what constitutes a joint employer, it could spell trouble for other restaurant operators as well.
Jul. 29, 2014, 1:36 PM| 6 Comments
Jul. 29, 2014, 8:16 AM
- NPD Group's long-range forecast for restaurant traffic calls for less than 1% growth annually.
- Breakfast traffic is expected to grow faster than lunch and dinner traffic.
- "Margins are being squeezed, and it’s a battle for share," warns the research firm.
- Restaurants stocks: CAKE, CBRL, CMG, DNKN, DPZ, DRI, EAT, JACK, MCD, PNRA, RRGB, RT, SBUX, SONC, WEN, BWLD, THI, BDL, NATH, LUB, BKW, CHUY, BLMN, PZZA, TXRH, DENN, KKD, BBRG, DFRG, BOBE, RUTH, IRG, DIN.
Jul. 29, 2014, 7:31 AM| Comment!
Jul. 28, 2014, 12:33 PM
- Many McDonald's (MCD -0.1%) stores in China are only selling drinks, french fries, and desserts after last week's meat scare drastically reduced the company's ability to supply meat for its products.
- Though the press in China is typically hard on large American companies caught up in food scandals, most brands have only suffered temporary sales disruptions.
Jul. 25, 2014, 3:21 PM
- Russia's consumer safety regulator files a lawsuit seeking to ban some of McDonald's (MCD +0.3%) menu items, claiming it had uncovered traces of E.coli bacteria in some Caesar wraps and salads and saying the company is deceiving consumers about the nutritional value of some of its burgers and shakes.
- MCD may be the latest victims of worsening ties between the U.S. and Russia, and the agency has been known to act in the Kremlin's political interests in times of political tensions with other countries.
- Russia is one of MCD's key markets outside of the U.S., with ~400 outlets.
MCD vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR