Tue, Jan. 20, 10:58 AM
- Micrel's (NASDAQ:MCRL) board has "unanimously decided to undertake a comprehensive review of strategic alternatives to enhance value for shareholders."
- A Transactions Committee composed of three directors has been formed, and Credit Suisse hired to advise.
- Plenty of other chipmakers have been acquired over the last 15 months.
Tue, Jan. 6, 1:36 PM
- Up 30% in 2014, the Philadelphia Semi Index (SOXX -2.2%) has fallen over 4% thus far in 2015. Today's decline comes as the Nasdaq drops 1.6%.
- Many names are posting 3%+ losses. SWKS -4.2%. QRVO -5.8%. AMAT -3.4%. KLAC -3.1%. SYNA -5.4%. IPHI -9%. ARMH -5.4%. SIMO -4.5%. MCRL -3.9%. AMCC -3.9%. CODE -5.1%. CY -4.6%. QUIK -7.9%.
- This morning, Gartner estimated global chip sales rose 7.9% in 2014 to $339.8B, a little less than the 9.4% recently estimated by IHS. Sell-side firms have forecast industry growth will fall to the ~5% range in 2015.
- Gartner thinks memory sales rose 16.9%, fueled by a 31.7% increase in DRAM sales. All other chip markets rose by 5.4%, a marked improvement from 2013's 0.8%. Intel (15% share) and Samsung (10.4%) claimed over a quarter of industry sales between them. Qualcomm (5.6%), Micron (4.9%), and SK Hynix (4.7%) rounded out the top-5.
- Chip ETFs: SMH, XSD, PSI, SOXL, USD, SOXS, SSG
Nov. 29, 2012, 10:04 AMAnalog chipmaker Semtech (SMTC +13.8%) has soared and is near its 52-week high after soundly beating FQ3 estimates and guiding for FQ4 revenue of $146M-$152M vs. a $147.6M consensus, pleasing investors on edge over troubles faced by peers. Semtech's gross margin rose 970 bps Q/Q to 59.2%, and is expected to be in the range of 58.3%-58.9% in seasonally weak FQ4. Micrel (MCRL +2.9%), Microsemi (MSCC +2.9%), and Intersil (ISIL +1.6%) might be rallying in sympathy. | Comment!
Oct. 25, 2012, 4:56 PM
MCRL vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR