5d 1m 3m 1y 5y 10y
There are no Focus articles on MWIP.
There are no Transcripts on MWIP.
Marketwire (Feb 13, 2014)
Marketwire (Dec 11, 2013)
MWIP vs. ETF Alternatives
Currently, there's no company description for MWIP.
Country: United States
Friday, Feb 144:04 PM
Friday, Feb 144:04 PM| 11 Comments
- Volatile marijuana stocks have closed with big gains after the Treasury Dept. and deputy U.S. attorney general established banking regulations for licensed sellers. Notable gainers: MDBX +21.8%. MJNA +5.1%. GRNH +4.3%. AVTC +10.4%. MWIP +7.6%. HEMP +1.7%.
- The rules allow banks to do business with marijuana sellers deemed to be obeying state laws, and not running afoul of eight principles, which include selling to minors and trafficking marijuana to states where it's illegal to do so. However, banks will have to file suspicious activity reports detailing transactions made by marijuana vendors.
- The National Cannabis Industry Association calls the ruling, which comes six weeks after Colorado began legal marijuana sales, a "huge victory." But many observers think top U.S. banks will still tread cautiously.
- FINRA has issued a warning about potential marijuana stock scams.
Thursday, Jan 95:25 PM
Thursday, Jan 95:25 PM| 24 Comments
- Medical Marijuana (MJNA +4.3%) is up 25% YTD on the pink sheets as investors continue making speculative bets on pot-related plays following the start of legal marijuana sales in Colorado on Jan. 1.
- On the other hand, several peers gave back a big chunk of their recent gains today: GRNH -52.4%. AVTC -15.8%. MDBX -18.6%. HEMP -24.1%. MWIP -21.9%.
- But GW Pharmaceuticals (GWPH +23.5%), a more established name that yesterday priced a 2.4M-share follow-on offering at $36, went in the other direction.
- With demand outstripping expectations, Colorado is (for now) arguably seeing the marijuana equivalent of the 1970s oil crisis: Long lines, shortages, rationing, and soaring prices have become the norm for licensed dispensaries.
- Words of caution from seasoned investors about putting money into pot plays are easy to find. Fund manager Frank Igarra: "There might be one or two that survive, but having seen crazes like this, people have been burned by them a lot. The average investor should think twice."
- FINRA issued a warning in August about potential marijuana stock scams.
Friday, Jan 34:49 PM
Friday, Jan 34:49 PM| 32 Comments
- Investors apparently have taken the big crowds outside marijuana retailers in Colorado as a harbinger of potential growth in the still-new industry after the state launched the first legal U.S. sale of recreational pot.
- Most of the companies that could benefit are very small, with MediSwipe (MWIP), which sells transaction processing systems to the medical industry, perhaps the most established; others include GreenGro Tech (GRNH), which sells growing systems and equipment popular with pot farmers; Medbox (MDBX), which makes storage and dispensing machines for controlled medicines; and GW Pharmaceuticals (GWPH), which focuses on medicines derived from marijuana.