Quote & Headlines
5d 1m 3m 1y 5y 10y
There are no Focus articles on MZDAY.
To learn more about Seeking Alpha PRO, click here.
There are no Transcripts on MZDAY.
There are no News articles on MZDAY.
MZDAY vs. ETF Alternatives
Tuesday, Dec 102:09 PMGM's master plan continues to unfurl
Tuesday, Dec 102:09 PM| Comment!
- The dizzying week for General Motors (GM -0.8%) after its announcement of a fresh CEO, global cutbacks (South Korea, Australia, Chevrolet in Europe), and imminent exit by the Treasury Department as an investor gets even more interesting as it reveals one of the biggest goals of all for the company.
- The automaker plans to make a serious push in Indonesia where Japanese automakers (NSANY, TM, HMC, MZDAY, SZKMY, FUJHY) outsell it by a huge margin and its market share is just a shade over 1%.
- In a clever move, GM has been watching what works for rivals in Indonesia before deciding which segment to jump into and who to partner with in the country of 247M people.
Tuesday, Dec 107:11 AMPositive read on China auto demand|Tuesday, Dec 107:11 AM| 1 Comment
Monday, Dec 211:38 AMDemand for Japanese cars in China solid amid territorial row
Monday, Dec 211:38 AM| Comment!
- Japanese automakers (NSANY, TM, HMC, MZDAY, SZKMY, FUJHY) appear to be largely unaffected by the ratcheting up of rhetoric by politicians in Beijing and Tokyo over an island territory dispute.
- The group delivered 89,800 vehicles to China in November to mark a 41% Y/Y increase.
- Related: Dangerous game of chicken playing out in Chinese airspace
Wednesday, Nov 272:26 AMU.S. defies China with flight of unarmed bombers
Wednesday, Nov 272:26 AM| 3 Comments
- The U.S. has involved itself in the latest flare up of the islands dispute between Japan and China in the East China Sea by flying two unarmed B-52 bombers in the area without informing Beijing.
- The U.S. moves comes after China included the islands - known as Senkaku in Japan and Diaoyu in China - in an Air Defense Identification Zone, and warned that it would take military action against airplanes flying in the region without notification.
- Meanwhile, Japanese airlines have also defied Beijing and flown through the area without providing China with flight plans.
- At stake in the row are fishing rights and access to up to 160B barrels of oil.
- When the dispute first flared up a year ago, trade between China and Japan was badly hit, with the latter's car makers suffering in particular.
- Japanese car makers: TM, HMC, NSANY, MZDAY, SZKMY.
- China ETFs: FXI, GXC, PGJ, FXP, YINN, YANG, MCHI, PEK, XPP, YAO, ASHR, CHXF, YXI, FCA, TCHI, CHNA
- Japan ETFs: DXJ, EWJ, FXY, YCS, JGBS, JGBD, DFJ, JYN, NKY, DBJP, EZJ, EWV, SCJ, YCL, JSC, JGBL, JPP, ITF, DXJS, JGBT, JPNL, JPNS, FJP
Monday, Nov 2510:48 AMAuto sector watch: Detroit vs. Tokyo battle gets interesting
Monday, Nov 2510:48 AM| 1 Comment
- The attention of the automobile industry shifts this week from the L.A. Auto Show to the Tokyo Motor Show with hydrogen fuel cell technology expected to be a major focus.
- Japanese automakers (NSANY, TM, HMC, MZDAY, SZKMY, FUJHY) will get to strut their stuff on their home turf and justify their lofty global sales targets.
- A weaker yen and major production increases in North America make a compelling case that shares of the group might be as attractive as their Detroit counterparts (F, GM, FIATY).
Monday, Nov 47:43 AMGerman auto registrations higher on demand for small cars
Monday, Nov 47:43 AM| Comment!
- Car registrations in Germany rose 2.3% in October to 265,441, according to the Federal Motor Transport.
- Toyota (TM) and Opel (GM) both saw sales increase at a double-digit rate, while Volkswagen's (VLKAY) Skoda and Mazda (MZDAY) came in with a sizzling pace of sales on new model introductions.
- Close to half of all registrations were from made up from the mini, small, and compact segment.
- Previous: French car registrations rise in October
Friday, Nov 11:57 PM
Wednesday, Oct 27:08 AMAuto sales in Japan jump higher|Wednesday, Oct 27:08 AM| 1 Comment
Monday, Sep 301:14 PMSeptember U.S. auto sales preview
Monday, Sep 301:14 PM| 1 Comment
- Auto sales in the U.S. are expected to post the first year-over-year decline in 28 months, but the industry is far from panicked.
- A calendar quirk had the Labor Day weekend included in sales tallies for August and September will have two fewer selling days than a year ago.
- Kelley Blue Book projects a seasonal adjusted selling rate of 15.2M units for the month.
- What to watch: A far better tell on the direction of U.S. auto sales is the steady stream of reports of vehicle shortages due to hot demand.
- Related stocks: GM, F, TM, FIATY.PK, HMC, NSANY.OB, TSLA, VLKAY.PK, DDAIF.PK, HYMLF.PK, BAMXY.PK, KIMTF.PK, VOLVY.PK, MZDAY.PK, MMTOF.PK, FUJHY.PK, FUJHF.PK
- Related ETFs: CARZ, VROM
Thursday, Sep 262:43 PMAuto parts makers to plead guilty to U.S. price-fixing
Thursday, Sep 262:43 PM| 9 Comments
- Nine companies based in Japan and two executives agree to plead guilty and to pay a combined $740M in fines for their roles in conspiracies to fix the prices of auto parts sold to U.S. car manufacturers, the Department of Justice says.
- The DoJ says price-fixed automobile parts were sold to GM, Ford (F) and Chrysler (FIATY.PK), as well as to U.S. subsidiaries of Honda (HMC), Mazda (MZDAF.PK, MZDAY.PK), Mitsubishi (MMTOF.PK), Nissan (NSANY.OB), Toyota (TM) and Subaru (FUJHY.PK, FUJHF.PK).
- Among the parts affected by the conspiracies were seat belts, radiators, windshield wipers, air conditioning systems, power window motors and power steering components.
Wednesday, Sep 256:39 AMSales tax hike looms for Japanese auto industry
Wednesday, Sep 256:39 AM| Comment!
- Japanese automakers (NSANY.OB, TM, HMC, MZDAY.PK, SZKMY.PK, FUJHY.PK) report lower production numbers in Japan for August as government policy continues to have a strong impact on the industry.
- Analysts think demand could pick back up in front of a planned sales tax hike scheduled for next April, but then remain subdued again with the sales tax set to go as high as 10%.
Monday, Sep 163:49 PMMazda mulls over selling in India again|Monday, Sep 163:49 PM| 2 Comments
Tuesday, Sep 102:36 PMMore tension between Japan and China worries Japanese automakers
Tuesday, Sep 102:36 PM| 2 Comments
- Japan is flexing its muscles again over a group of islands which sit in the middle of a territorial dispute between it and China.
- An escalation of tension between the two nation isn't good news for Japanese automakers (NSANY.OB, TM, HMC, MZDAY.PK, SZKMY.PK) which were stymied from realizing strong growth in China over the last year due to heightened resentment.
- Reports from earlier today indicate the number of Chinese patrol ships near the islands have been increased to their highest level since April.
Friday, Aug 238:08 AMFord warns on impact of weak yen
Friday, Aug 238:08 AM| 12 Comments
- Ford (F) is getting louder with its protests about the impact of a weaker yen on the industry.
- Joe Hinrichs, one of Ford's top execs in North America, notes U.S. workers will miss out to Japanese counterparts if capacity needs to be increased globally to meet demand.
- The yen had dropped roughly 12% against the dollar this year to give Japanese automakers (NSANY.OB, TM, HMC, MZDAY.PK, SZKMY.PK) a distinct advantage.
Monday, Aug 128:11 AMSubcompact war to heat up
Monday, Aug 128:11 AM| 8 Comments
- Japanese automakers (NSANY.OB, TM, HMC, MZDAY.PK, SZKMY.PK) want to take back subcompact market share lost to Ford (F) and Chevrolet (GM) in the U.S. after the Detroit automakers turned the tables on a segment once dominated by the group.
- Industry analysts think pricing will become more competitive even as new models are introduced.
- By the numbers: Chevrolet with 13% of subcompact sales in the U.S. and Ford at 11% are both major players now after skipping the segment for years.
Wednesday, Jul 3110:47 AMMore electric vehicle charging stations coming to Japan|Wednesday, Jul 3110:47 AM| Comment!