Oct. 21, 2013, 4:12 PM
- Netflix (NFLX) reports it added 1.29M subscribers in the U.S. during Q3, compared to a 630K gain for Q2 and guidance for 700K-1.2M adds. Some analyst estimates pegged the quarterly net adds higher, but the upward momentum is more than enough to satisfy investors.
- Total U.S. subscribers at the end of the quarter was 31.09M vs. 30M expected and 28.7M for rival HBO.
- The company says it expects to double its investment in original content, although still keeping the spend below 10% of total content expenses.
- Q4 guidance is for net additions of 2.01M which is above the estimates of some analysts.(shareholder letter .pdf)
- NFLX +9.5% AH.
Oct. 21, 2013, 4:01 PM
Oct. 16, 2013, 9:56 AM
- Intel (INTC +0.3%) has been upgraded to Buy by B. Riley following its Q3 beat and light Q4 revenue guidance.
- Yahoo (YHOO +1.7%) has received a two-notch upgrade to Outperform from CLSA after it posted mixed Q3 results and soft Q4 guidance, but also strong Q2 numbers for Alibaba.
- Cisco (CSCO +0.4%) has been cut to Neutral, and Juniper (JNPR +3.6%) upgraded to Buy, by MKM. Juniper reports on Oct. 22.
- Netflix (NFLX -0.2%) has been cut to Hold by Hudson Square ahead of its Oct. 21 Q3 report.
- Vimpelcom (VIP +3.9%) has been upgraded to Overweight by Morgan Stanley.
- BT (BT +1.7%) has been upgraded to Conviction Buy by Goldman.
- CyrusOne (CONE +2.7%) has been upgraded to Buy by BofA/Merrill. However, the firm is maintaining its $23 PT.
- Ultimate Software (ULTI +1.6%) has been upgraded to Overweight by Evercore.
- Ellie Mae (ELLI -6.5%) has been cut to Market Perform by JMP.
- Super Micro (SMCI -2.7%) has been cut to Hold by Stifel.
Oct. 10, 2013, 3:25 PM
- Media stocks outperform the broad market with comments from Liberty Media's (LMCA +2.5%) John Malone on the monetization possibilities in the industry not hurting the festive mood one little bit.
- If Malone is to be believed, new forms of content distribution will lead to riches across the sector.
- Advancers: Time Warner Cable (TWC) +5.6%, Charter Communications (CHTR) +3.9%, CenturyLink (CTL) +3.3%, CBS (CBS) +3.9%, Netflix (NFLX) +5.5%.
- Liberty Media Analyst Day webcast
- Related ETFS: PBS
Oct. 8, 2013, 11:48 AM
- With the government shutdown having reached day 8, many U.S. and Chinese Internet stocks that have seen giant 2013 gains (often with the help of momentum traders and/or short squeezes) are falling sharply.
- U.S. decliners include Facebook (FB -5.2%), Yahoo (YHOO -5.2%), Netflix (NFLX -4.7%), LinkedIn (LNKD -7%), Zillow (Z -5.3%), Trulia (TRLA -7.5%), Yelp (YELP -9.3%), Groupon (GRPN -4.9%), and Web.com (WWWW -10.2%).
- Chinese decliners include Baidu (BIDU -6.2%), Sina (SINA -7.5%), YY (YY -7.3%), Sohu (SOHU -5.1%), Renren (RENN -9.2%), Youku (YOKU -9.6%), Vipshop (VIPS -6.9%), and Dangdang (DANG -10.7%).
- A chart of the YTD performance of some key names speaks for itself.
Oct. 1, 2013, 1:27 PM
- Carl Icahn says he hasn't sold any shares of Netflix (NFLX +3.9%) just yet, but that holding on to his sizable profits isn't such a "no brainer" anymore.
- It's a rather grounded look at Netflix with valuation seeming to be outrunning the company's ability to grow profits in an increasingly competitive streaming market.
Oct. 1, 2013, 8:40 AM
- Netflix (NFLX) lands a generous price target hike from MKM Partners on its view the streaming service's international subscriber totals will surprise.
- The investment firm's thesis on Netflix is more focused on global mass penetration than pricing in the U.S.
- NFLX +1.9% to $315, 17.5% short of MKM's new PT of $370.
Sep. 23, 2013, 8:16 AM
Sep. 12, 2013, 10:05 AM
- Zynga (ZNGA +2.5%) has been upgraded to Equal Weight by Evercore. The firm had been bearish on Zynga for some time.
- Netflix (NFLX -1.6%) has been cut to Equal Weight by Morgan Stanley. BTIG downgraded shares yesterday.
- Symantec (SYMC -0.5%) has also been cut to Equal Weight by MS.
- Cognex (CGNX -0.9%) has been cut to Neutral by Citi. Piper upgraded shares yesterday.
- Polycom (PLCM +1.1%) has been upgraded to Outperform by Raymond James a day after the company announced a $400M buyback.
- Constant Contact (CTCT +2.5%) has been upgraded to Buy by Janney.
- ASML (ASML +3.8%) has been started at Conviction Buy by Goldman. Peer ASM International (ASMI +2.5%) has been upgraded to Buy.
Aug. 26, 2013, 2:32 PM
- Short Hills Capital's Stephen Weiss: "You take a look at Tesla. You take a look at Netflix. You take a look at Green Mountain Coffee. If you've got momentum, you're going to go a lot higher." Words of wisdom, or a reason for bulls to be cautious?
- Facebook (FB +2.3%) is adding to the gains it saw on Friday following positive numbers from comScore and ITG Research.
- Netflix (NFLX +3%) has been lifted lately by strong ratings for Breaking Bad (first-run U.K./Ireland rights), and a major deal with The Weinstein Co.
- There are also rumors Microsoft might try to buy Netflix to make (ex-board member) Reed Hastings Steve Ballmer's replacement, but the notion Microsoft will acquire a $16.9B company (a buyout premium could make it $20B+) just to get a new CEO should probably be taken with a spoonful of salt.
Jul. 23, 2013, 7:29 AMCantor Fitzgerald's Youssef Squali takes some chips off the table with Netflix (NFLX), cutting to Hold amid concern with rising content and international expansion costs. The company is performing as expected, he says, but the stock - at 3.5x revenue and 40x EBITDA - has more than reflected this. Shares -5.7% premarket. Earnings last night. | Comment!
Jul. 22, 2013, 5:40 PM
Jul. 22, 2013, 4:04 PM
Jul. 22, 2013, 9:27 AMDreamWorks (DWA) -4.6% after Turbo bombs at the box office: the $135M film pulled in just $21.5M during its open week, making it a distant #3 behind The Conjuring and Despicable Me 2 (out for 3 weeks). Cowen thinks a write-down for the animated racing film could lower its 2013 EPS estimate for DreamWorks to $0.25 from a current $0.72 (consensus is at $0.83). A children's series based on Turbo is set to arrive on Netflix (NFLX) later this year. | 5 Comments
Jun. 25, 2013, 7:24 AM
Jun. 17, 2013, 9:52 AMNetflix (NFLX +5.1%) roars 6% higher after news of a content deal with DreamWorks Animation breaks. Though the partnership will significantly strengthen the company's menu of children's programming including the rights to air Shrek and Kung Fu Panda series, with financial terms undisclosed there is a wildcard in the mix. | 7 Comments
NFLX vs. ETF Alternatives
Netflix Inc operates as an Internet television network providing TV shows & movies which include original series, documentaries & feature films. The Company has three segments namely Domestic streaming, International streaming & Domestic DVD.
Other News & PR