Sep. 10, 2014, 10:32 AM
- DARPA (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency) has selected Northrop Grumman (NOC +0.2%) to develop advanced wideband digital antenna technology for next generation radio frequency sensors using active electronically scanned arrays.
- Under an $11.9M contract, Northrop Grumman will begin phase one of the "Arrays on Commercial Timescales" program for the DARPA Microsystems Technology Office.
- The program will design key technologies for next-generation active electronically scanned arrays by designing a reusable digital common module that contains the necessary integrated circuits.
- Key subcontractors on the Northrop Grumman "Arrays on Commercial Timescales" team are Semtech (SMTC -0.4%) and Systems & Technology Research.
Sep. 6, 2014, 8:43 AM
- The "total" yield of a company combines the dividend yield and the buyback yield - that is the yield boost from reducing the total amount of shares outstanding. Together with S&P's Howard Silverblatt, Barron's puts together a list of the top 20 companies in the S&P 500 based on "total" yield.
- While buybacks don't guarantee a strong stock - witness consistent buyback champs like IBM and Kohl's (NYSE:KSS) - Warren Buffett goes to bed at night praying for IBM's share price to go down so the company can buy back more stock for a given dollar amount (though The Oracle has said he doesn't expect this logic to win many fans).
- The flip-side are those companies - financials and energy come to mind - who tend to buy back stock at high prices only to find themselves forced to reissue it at lower prices when times get tough. A consistent plan helps, and Travelers (NYSE:TRV), under CEO Jay Fishman, has been maybe the best example of this - halving the share count since the end of 2006.
- ETFs? The Powershares Buyback Achievers Portfolio (NYSEARCA:PKW) gained 45.6% in 2013, 1,300 basis points better than the S&P 500. Since inception in 2006, it's up an annualized 9%, more than 200 basis points better than the S&P. A newcomer - the Cambria Shareholder Yield ETF (NYSEARCA:SYLD) - has beaten the S&P by about 250 basis points since its May 2013 inception.
- The list (ranked in order of "total" yield): ADT, CAM, CF, MOS, MPC, VIAB, GLW, ITW, STX, IBM, NOC, CTL, TRV, VRSN, IR, CCE, KSS, NTAP, HES, DO.
Aug. 27, 2014, 10:47 AM
- Air Force and Navy unmanned aircraft from Northrop Grumman‘s (NOC -0.2%) "high altitude long endurance series" have surpassed 100,000 hours of service in combat and operational support.
- The Air Force Global Hawk fleet logged more than 88% of the global intelligence surveillance missions, while the Navy's Broad Area Maritime Surveillance Demonstrator flew the remaining hours.
- The aircraft have been used on missions over countries including Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya and Nigeria.
Aug. 21, 2014, 8:22 AM| Aug. 21, 2014, 8:22 AM | 1 Comment
Aug. 21, 2014, 7:27 AM| Aug. 21, 2014, 7:27 AM | Comment!
Aug. 20, 2014, 6:40 PM
Aug. 20, 2014, 8:27 AM
- Northrop Grumman (NYSE:NOC), Scaled Composites and Virgin Galactic are developing a preliminary design and flight demonstration plan for DARPA's (Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency's) experimental spaceplane XS-1 program.
- In addition to its reusable boosters which will afford low-cost launches, the XS-1 will serve as a test-bed for new generation hypersonic aircraft.
- Northrop Grumman is defining its concept for XS-1 under a 13-month, phase one contract valued at $3.9M.
Aug. 13, 2014, 10:22 AM
- Northrop Grumman (NOC +0.8%) has again been chosen for the systems engineering, management and sustainment contract which assists U.S. Air Force Weather operations with environmental information for mission planning and combat operations.
- The contract is valued up to $300M, and will continue to help U.S. Air Force Weather deliver a full range of terrestrial and space environmental information, products and services to military users worldwide.
Aug. 12, 2014, 11:09 AM
- Northrop Grumman (NOC -0.1%) has been awarded a nearly $3M contract from the Johns Hopkins University Applied Physics Laboratory to supply its space inertial reference system for the Solar Probe Plus program, which APL manages for NASA.
- Solar Probe Plus is expected to launch in 2018 and will explore the sun's outer atmosphere, or corona, for the first time.
Aug. 6, 2014, 10:51 AM
- Northrop Grumman (NOC -1.2%) has received contracts from the U.S. Navy, General Dynamics (GD -0.6%) Bath Iron Works and Huntington Ingalls (HII -0.7%) to provide integrated bridge, navigation and steering gear systems to modernize Arleigh Burke-class guided missile destroyers.
- The U.S. Navy exercised options for the acquisition and testing of five integrated bridge and navigation systems valued at $11M.
- General Dynamics Bath Iron Works and Huntington Ingalls jointly exercised options for six steering gear systems valued at $30M.
Aug. 4, 2014, 10:54 AM
Aug. 1, 2014, 5:40 PM
Jul. 23, 2014, 10:44 AM
- Northrop Grumman (NOC +0.6%) raised its full-year 2014 profit forecast despite missing EPS estimates and reporting a sales decline. The company now expects a range of $9.15 to $9.35 per share from the $8.90 to $9.15 per share it announced in April.
- Sales declined 4.1% Y/Y to $6.04B as the government decreases spending and winds down the war in Afghanistan.
- Net income displayed a modest rise, increasing 4.7% Y/Y to $511M from $488M.
- Q2 earnings
Jul. 23, 2014, 7:09 AM
Jul. 22, 2014, 5:30 PM
Jul. 10, 2014, 9:03 AM
- Lockheed Martin (LMT) states industry investment of $170M over the next two years will result in $1.8B in savings for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter program, cutting the cost of each fighter jet by about $10M to about $80M.
- The announcement comes after the Pentagon's release of the "Blueprint for Affordability" project, stating that Lockheed and two main subcontractors, Northrop Grumman (NOC) and BAE Systems (BAESY), will only recover their investment and any profit if cost reductions to the jet were made.
- There is still no word if the F-35 will be making its debut at two international air shows tomorrow and next week in the U.K.
NOC vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR