Jul. 30, 2014, 3:59 PM
- National Oilwell Varco (NOV -1.9%) slides after Jefferies lowers its rating to Hold from Buy with a $91 price target, down from $95, saying that much of the intrinsic value is already priced into the stock.
- Jefferies cuts its 2014 EPS estimate to $5.80 from $6.45 due to expectations of weakness in deepwater activity, as it suspects "at best tepid deepwater orders through 2015 as part of the industry's review/reset of deepwater activity, which poses risk to 2016-17 revenue."
- The firm also notes that NOV is trading at 14.4x its 2014 EPS estimate and 12.9x 2015 estimate vs. a prior cycle average forward 12-month P/E of 17.2x.
Jul. 29, 2014, 8:58 AM
- National Oilwell Varco's (NYSE:NOV) Q2 earnings jumped 17% Y/Y, driven by strong demand for oilfield equipment; earnings beat consensus estimates but revenue fell short, despite a 12% increase.
- Backlog at the end of Q2 was $15.39B for the rig systems segment, up 20% Y/Y, and $2.14B for the completion and production solutions segment.
- New orders in the rig systems business totaled $2.28B on a 14% increase in revenue to $2.37B, while revenue in the rig aftermarket segment added 17% to $785M.
- On a percentage basis, the wellbore technologies unit saw the biggest gains, increasing revenue 18% to $1.45B.
- The results represented the first full quarter since CEO Clay Williams took the reins at the company.
Jul. 29, 2014, 7:02 AM| Comment!
Jul. 28, 2014, 5:30 PM
- ACI, AET, AGCO, AIXG, AKS, ALLY, AMAG, AMG, ARW, AUDC, AVX, AXE, BP, CARB, CAS, CNX, CPLA, CRS, CVLT, CYNO, DIN, DSX, ECL, ENTG, ETN, ETR, FDP, FIS, FSS, GLT, GLW, GNC, GTI, HCA, HMC, HRS, HW, ICON, IP, IPGP, ITW, KLIC, LVLT, MDC, MDSO, MDXG, MHFI, MLM, MMC, MRK, MSO, NCI, NEE, NLSN, NMM, NOV, NYT, OSK, PCAR, PFE, POR, RAI, RYN, SAVE, SIRI, SNCR, ST, TLM, TRW, UAM, UBS, UBSI, UDR, UPS, UTHR, VSH, WDR, WM, WYNN, XYL, YNDX
Jun. 25, 2014, 12:26 PM
- Schlumberger (SLB +4.7%) surges after providing long-term profit guidance at an investor presentation today, predicting EPS growth at a compound annual growth rate of 17%-20%; in an earlier note, RBC analyst Kurt Hallead wrote that the Street was expecting the company's EPS to grow at an annualized rate of 15%.
- SLB says it can achieve $9-$10 EPS through revenue growth, margin expansion and share repurchases; Hallead had predicted SLB's EPS would reach $8 in 2016.
- Expects spending on exploration would be subdued in 2015, but expects a renewed focus on exploration in 2016-17.
- Other oil services companies also are higher: HAL +2.1%, BHI +1.9%, WFT +1.1%, NOV +1%.
Jun. 2, 2014, 9:16 AM
Jun. 2, 2014, 8:33 AM
- National Oilwell Varco (NOV) -9.5% premarket after completing the spinoff to its stockholders of its distribution business as an independent public company, NOW Inc.
- Merrill Miller Jr. steps down as NOV's Executive Chairman to hold the same position with NOW; Clay Williams is NOV's Chairman.
- NOW common stock begins trading today on the NYSE under the ticker symbol DNOW.
May. 15, 2014, 11:43 AM
- National Oilwell Varco's (NOV -0.9%) massive dividend increase to $0.46/share - from $0.26 and $0.13 two years ago - is a very strong declaration of faith in its future, 24/7's Jon Ogg writes.
- Companies that make such large dividend hikes are signaling that they are comfortable with their distribution rates for years into the future through ups and downs of the cycle, Ogg says; after all, companies hate having to cut their dividends.
- The new $1.84/share annualized payout compares to EPS estimates of $6.12 in 2014 and $6.87 in 2015, meaning future dividend hikes also are likely.
May. 15, 2014, 10:33 AM| Comment!
Apr. 29, 2014, 10:36 AM
- National Oilwell Varco (NOV +1.3%) is downgraded to Neutral from Buy with an $80 price target, down from $90, at Global Hunter, as NOV's Q1 report indicates rig tech orders appear likely to fall off significantly in H2 2014, and the firm believes the drop will become more pronounced in 2015.
- The firm says the decline reflects the later stages of the rig order cycle that has already slowed significantly for floaters and is in the process of peaking for jackups.
- Edward Jones analysts say while the outlook is iffy for the rest of 2014, NOV remains a buy for patient investors.
Apr. 28, 2014, 1:50 PM
- National Oilwell Varco (NOV -7.2%) is suffering its worst day in more than two years after reporting that Q1 orders for new offshore rig equipment fell 23% Y/Y to $2.33B and forecasting a continued slowdown in orders.
- Backlog for new rig technology equipment, which hit a record during Q1 at $16.4B, should fall to $14B-$15B by year-end, CEO Clay Williams said on today's earnings call.
- "The newbuild rig market is starting to show signs of shakiness," says Iberia Capital analyst Trey Stolz.
- Other energy equipment providers also are lower: SLB -1.1%, BHI -1.2%, CAM -1.4%, FTI -1.2%, DRQ -1.2%, FET -1%.
Apr. 28, 2014, 7:01 AM| Comment!
Apr. 27, 2014, 5:30 PM
Mar. 13, 2014, 3:59 PM
- National Oilwell Varco (NOV -2.8%) is downgraded to Neutral from Buy at ISI Group, which says deepwater and ultra-deepwater rig demand are diminishing, and dayrates are weaker than the market appreciates.
- Other oil services names also are lower: SLB -0.9%, HAL -0.2%, BHI -0.2%, NE -3.8%, CAM -1.3%, WFT -1.8%, SPN -2%, FTI -1.3%, DRQ -2.9%, KEG -0.9%.
Feb. 27, 2014, 9:04 AM| Comment!
Feb. 27, 2014, 7:52 AM
- National Oilwell Varco (NOV) appoints Clay Williams as President and CEO, effective immediately.
- Williams has held various positions in the energy industry for more than 20 years, and has climbed the ladder at NOV since 1996; he has been NOV's President and COO since 2012.
- NOV had previously announced that Pete Miller would step down as Chairman/CEO with the completion of the spinoff of the distribution business and become Executive Chairman of the new publicly traded company.
NOV vs. ETF Alternatives
National Oilwell Varco Inc is a provider in the design, manufacture and sale of equipment and components used in oil and gas drilling, completion and production operations, and the provision of oilfield services to the upstream oil and gas industry.
Other News & PR