Apr. 28, 2014, 7:01 AM
Apr. 27, 2014, 5:30 PM
Mar. 13, 2014, 3:59 PM
- National Oilwell Varco (NOV -2.8%) is downgraded to Neutral from Buy at ISI Group, which says deepwater and ultra-deepwater rig demand are diminishing, and dayrates are weaker than the market appreciates.
- Other oil services names also are lower: SLB -0.9%, HAL -0.2%, BHI -0.2%, NE -3.8%, CAM -1.3%, WFT -1.8%, SPN -2%, FTI -1.3%, DRQ -2.9%, KEG -0.9%.
Feb. 27, 2014, 9:04 AM
Feb. 27, 2014, 7:52 AM
- National Oilwell Varco (NOV) appoints Clay Williams as President and CEO, effective immediately.
- Williams has held various positions in the energy industry for more than 20 years, and has climbed the ladder at NOV since 1996; he has been NOV's President and COO since 2012.
- NOV had previously announced that Pete Miller would step down as Chairman/CEO with the completion of the spinoff of the distribution business and become Executive Chairman of the new publicly traded company.
Jan. 31, 2014, 8:29 AM
- National Oilwell Varco (NOV) +2.2% premarket after Q4 earnings fell 1.5% Y/Y as selling and administrative costs increased, but the results still surpassed market expectations.
- Q4 2013 results included a record $1.5B in cash flow from operations, 50% greater than the previous record set during Q3.
- Backlog for capital equipment orders in the rig technology segment hit a record at $16.24B, up 7% Q/Q and up 37% from the end of 2012; new orders during Q4 totaled $3.61B, reflecting continued strong demand for oilfield equipment.
- The petroleum services and supplies segment reported revenue growth of 9% to $1.93B.
Jan. 31, 2014, 7:01 AM
Jan. 31, 2014, 12:05 AM
Jan. 30, 2014, 5:30 PM
Jan. 8, 2014, 3:48 PM
- National Oilwell Varco (NOV -2.1%) is downgraded to Sector Perform from Outperform with an $86 price target at RBC, which believes shares are range-bound in the near term due to offshore drilling headwinds that will limit inbound rig tech orders.
- The firm continues to view NOV as a high-quality name and would become more positive on a price pullback into the low 70s.
- Baker Hughes (BHI -1.2%) also is cut to Sector Perform, with a $60 target, as the firm sees NAM margins progressing at a more modest pace than originally anticipated, averaging 11.9% in 2014 vs. 13.1% previously.
Jan. 4, 2014, 4:22 PM
- Shares of National Oilwell Varco (NOV) may be trailing the performance of the broad market over the past two years, but its "growth prospects remain plenty bright [thanks to] ramping orders for aftermarket parts and replacement orders for aging drill fleets," Jack Hough writes.
- There are a number of catalysts for the Houston-based company going forward, including a spinoff of the distribution business, a move Hough says could "unlock a higher valuation and potential for fast dividend growth."
- Falling operating margins should begin to rise this year and next, while FPSO sales and the parts business "could help offset any cooling in demand for offshore drilling rigs."
- Ultimately, the shares look cheap at 12.7X 2014 estimates, Barron's says.
Dec. 17, 2013, 5:44 PM
- Barclays expects the oil services group (OIH) to significantly outperform the broader equity market over the next several years, and raises its price targets for several sector leaders (Briefing.com).
- The industry remains in the early days of a prolonged global upcycle, the firm says, and consequently market fundamentals should favor oil services, equipment and drilling companies.
- SLB target to $138 from $124; SPN to $42 from $39; OII to $103 from $96; NOV to $102 from $93; HAL to $86 from $76; GLF to $63 from $58; DRQ to $77 from $64; CAM to $82 from $77; CJES to $34 from $30; BHI to $81 from $71.
Nov. 14, 2013, 4:47 PM
Nov. 14, 2013, 7:45 AM
- National Oilwell Varco (NOV) says Chairman/CEO Pete Miller will step down upon completion of the plan to spin off its equipment distribution business as an independent, publicly traded company.
- President/COO Clay Williams is appointed to succeed Miller, who had been Chairman/CEO since 2001 and will become executive chairman of the new distribution company.
Oct. 25, 2013, 8:19 AM
- National Oilwell Varco (NOV) +2.1% premarket after reporting a 3.9% rise in Q3 earnings, boosted by revenue gains in all three of its business segments: rig technology, petroleum services and supplies, distribution and transmission.
- Q3 profit of $636M, or $1.49/share, was aided by the settlement of an outstanding legal claim; without it, NOV would have booked a net profit of $573M, or $1.34/share.
- Revenue rose 6.9% Y/Y to $5.69B, but gross margin shrank to 23.8% from 26.5%.
- Backlog at NOV's rig technology segment hit a record $15.15B, up 9% Y/Y and 30% Q/Q; new orders in the segment totaled $3.31B.
Oct. 25, 2013, 7:02 AM
NOV vs. ETF Alternatives
National Oilwell Varco Inc is a provider in the design, manufacture and sale of equipment and components used in oil and gas drilling, completion and production operations, and the provision of oilfield services to the upstream oil and gas industry.
Other News & PR