Yesterday, 4:51 PM
Dec. 2, 2014, 4:47 PM
- Though it beat FQ2 estimates, OmniVision (NASDAQ:OVTI) is guiding for FQ3 revenue of $275M-$305M, below a $331.7M consensus. EPS guidance ($0.22-$0.38) is stronger, but still below a $0.33 consensus at the midpoint.
- Gross margin rose to 22% in FQ2 from 21.7% in FQ1 and 18.8% a year earlier; OmniVision attributes the gains to a mix shift towards newer products, and the sales of previously written-down inventory.
- GAAP opex +14% Y/Y to $56.7M, with R&D accounting for $34.2M. The cash balance rose by $1M Q/Q to $525.2M (equal to 38% of OmniVision' market cap).
- "Our mobile phone and automotive products continue to be the drivers behind our strong results this quarter," says CEO Shaw Hong - strong iPhone-related orders likely helped. "We are pleased with our execution in China, and with the emergence of India as a key geography for us."
- FQ2 results, PR
Dec. 2, 2014, 4:24 PM| Comment!
Dec. 1, 2014, 5:35 PM
Nov. 26, 2014, 2:52 PM
- Chip stocks are outperforming after Analog Devices (ADI +5.2%) beat FQ4 estimates and offered in-line FQ1 guidance. The Philadelphia Semi Index (SOXX +1.9%) has made new highs.
- Notable gainers include many analog/mixed-signal and telecom IC firms: TXN +3%. LLTC +2.7%. SMTC +3.1%. ISIL +3.3%. SWKS +3.7%. AVGO +2.9%. OVTI +3.2%. FSL +3.1%. EZCH +2.5%. XLNX +2.3%. ALTR +2.1%. MX +4.3%. PMCS +2.7%. BRCM +2%.
- On its CC (transcript), ADI noted its telecom equipment chip sales are holding up well in spite of weak capex, aided by the fact its dollar content for 4G base stations is "at least 20% to 30% better" than for 3G base stations. The company also mentioned its lead times were stable in FQ4.
- Chip ETFs: SMH, XSD, PSI, SOXL, USD, SOXS, SSG
Aug. 28, 2014, 5:21 PM
- OmniVision (NASDAQ:OVTI) is guiding for FQ2 revenue of $360M-$390M and EPS of $0.43-$0.59, in-line with a consensus of $374.5M and $0.49.
- FQ1 gross margin was 21.7%, up from 20.1% in FQ4 and 17.4% a year ago. GAAP opex +17% Y/Y to $56.3M. Cash/short-term investments rose by $73.2M Q/Q to $524.2M (compares with a market cap of $1.6B).
- Both mobile and automotive demand fueled the FQ1 beat. OmniVision says it's "ramping up multiple members" of its high-end PureCel image sensors for mobile clients.
- No update is given in the earnings release on OmniVision's review of a $29/share non-binding offer from a Chinese group led by Hua Capital. Shares are at $27.73 AH.
- FQ1 results, PR
Aug. 28, 2014, 4:24 PM| 2 Comments
Aug. 27, 2014, 5:35 PM
May. 29, 2014, 5:31 PM
- OmniVision (OVTI) expects FQ1 revenue of $360M-$400M, far above a $304.9M consensus. EPS guidance of $0.29-$0.49 is largely above a $0.29 consensus.
- The image sensor vendor says it has made "meaningful progress" in its efforts to diversify into new geographies (read: become less dependent on Apple), and to grow its automotive/security product sales.
- Gross margin rose 50 bps Q/Q and 260 bps Y/Y in FQ4 to 20.1% thanks to sales of "newer and lower cost products." GAAP opex rose 12% Y/Y to $52.4M.
- OmniVision, which currently has a market cap of $1.34B, ended FQ4 with $450.9M in cash and just $35.8M in debt. The company doesn't yet pay a dividend.
- FQ4 results, PR
May. 29, 2014, 4:19 PM| 2 Comments
May. 28, 2014, 5:35 PM
Feb. 27, 2014, 5:06 PM
- OmniVision (OVTI) expects FQ4 revenue of $275M-$305M and EPS of $0.19-$0.35, in-line with a consensus of $284.3M and $0.22. With a long line of mobile chipmakers having guided light (those with strong Apple exposure have been especially hard-hit), the forecast is going over well.
- In spite of a 17% Y/Y rev. drop, gross margin rose 270 bps Y/Y in FQ3 to 19.6%; that contributed to OmniVision's huge EPS beat. FQ4 EPS guidance points to continued margin strength.
- Opex rose 7% Y/Y to $51.3M, thanks to a 13% increase in R&D spend to $30.9M. OmniVision says its new PureCel image sensors (meant for high-end smartphones/tablets) are "gaining traction."
- FQ3 results, PR
Feb. 27, 2014, 4:28 PM| Comment!
Feb. 27, 2014, 12:10 AM
- ACAD, AHT, AIRM, AL, ALIM, AMRN, APEI, ARNA, ATLS, AVD, BAGL, BCEI, BID, BIO, CEMP, CHUY, CLNE, CRM, DCO, DECK, ELGX, EPR, EVC, GPS, HALO, HTGC, KBR, KOG, LINE, MDVN, MELI, MENT, MNST, MTZ, NGD, NMBL, NOG, OLED, OVTI, PKT, PODD, REGI, ROST, SD, SFM, SLXP, SPLK, SPNC, SQNM, SWN, TESO, TUMI, UHS, WES, WG, WTR, XTEX, YOKU
Feb. 26, 2014, 5:35 PM
- AHT, AIRM, AL, ALIM, AMRN, APEI, ARNA, ATLS, AVD, BAGL, BCEI, BID, BIO, CEMP, CHUY, CLNE, CRM, DCO, DECK, ELGX, EPR, EVC, GPS, HALO, HTGC, KBR, KOG, LINE, MDVN, MELI, MENT, MNST, MTZ, NGD, NMBL, NOG, OLED, OVTI, PKT, PODD, REGI, ROST, SD, SFM, SLXP, SPLK, SPNC, SQNM, SWN, TESO, TUMI, UHS, WES, WG, WTR, XTEX, YOKU
Dec. 3, 2013, 4:52 PM
- Though OmniVision's (OVTI) FQ2 results beat estimates, the image sensor vendor is guiding for FQ3 revenue of $310M-$340M and EPS of $0.28-$0.44. That's largely below a consensus of $399.9M and $0.43. (PR)
- OmniVision notes its saw slowing smartphone market growth in FQ2 - IDC estimates calendar Q3 shipments rose 39% Y/Y, albeit with a mix shift towards cheaper phones - as well as "intensifying competition." The company has been battling not only with age-old rival Sony (Apple's other iPhone image sensor supplier), but also Samsung and low-end upstarts such as Himax (HIMX - previous).
- FQ2 gross margin was 18.8%, +140 bps Q/Q and +220 bps Y/Y. In addition, cost controls resulted in opex falling 2% Y/Y to $49.9M (12.5% of revenue).
- OmniVision's cash balance rose by $25.1M Q/Q to $265.6M.(equal to 35% of its current market cap). With shares depressed, could the company end up deploying some of that cash in a new buyback? OmniVision hasn't announced one since 2011.
- CC at 5PM ET. FQ2 results, PR.
OVTI vs. ETF Alternatives
Other News & PR