Tue, Mar. 24, 11:02 AM
- Beverage stocks break higher as some industry sales tracking is reported to be positive.
- The C-store channel has been vibrant for the sector recently.
- Strong gainers include Keurig Green Mountain (NASDAQ:GMCR) up 2.5% and Monster Beverage (NASDAQ:MNST) with a 2.3% increase.
- Small player Jones Soda (OTCQB:JSDA) is up 7% and Cott (NYSE:COT) continues its stellar 2015 run with a 2.2% rally.
- Even large soda sellers Pepsico (PEP +1.2%), Coca-Cola (KO +0.7%), and Dr. Pepper Snapple (DPS +0.7%) are ahead of broad market averages.
Mon, Mar. 23, 7:16 AM
Sat, Mar. 14, 10:01 AM
- PepsiCo (NYSE:PEP) has a cool $500M planned for investment in the northeast part of Africa this year after generating improved sales in Egypt last year.
- The region is attracting more foreign investment amid Egyptian President Abdel Fattah al-Sisi's efforts to instate political and economic stability.
- Gulf Arab allies have pledged close to $12B of deposits and investments at the Central Bank of Egypt, according to reports.
- Yesterday, GE announced a $200M investment in Egypt for a new facility.
- Related ETFs; EGPT, EGYP.
Fri, Mar. 13, 7:40 AM| Fri, Mar. 13, 7:40 AM | Comment!
Tue, Mar. 10, 9:24 AM
- Burger King Worldwide (NYSE:QSR) has followed a fast-food trend of dropping soft drinks as a listed option for kids meals, reports USA Today.
- Though customers can still order as many soft drinks as they like, the trend to de-emphasize sodas with kids meals could have a marginal impact on sales for Coca-Cola (NYSE:KO), PepsiCo (NYSE:PEP), and Dr. Pepper Snapple (NYSE:DPS) over time.
- McDonald's has recently increased the exposure of Minute Maid juice products. Minute Maid is owned by Coca-Cola.
Mon, Mar. 9, 7:37 AM
- Wheat prices took a sharp turn lower last week as traders weighed the large amount of global supply versus a tightening of demand in the U.S.
- Prices have recovered a bit today in front of a Department of Agriculture report, but are expected to see more downward pressure.
- The development should bring some relief for food companies as supplying contracts are reworked.
- Related stocks: SJM, FLO, CAG, POST, CPB, GIS, K, PEP, BUD.
- Related ETF: WEAT.
- Wheat daily price wheat chart.
Thu, Mar. 5, 11:13 AM
- Umami Burger announces it will partner with PepsiCo (PEP) to make the company its exclusive soft drinks partner.
- The arrangement will see the restaurant chain offer "real sugar" Pepsi products which will complement its philosophy of using ingredients made in-house in a natural fashion.
- Though the high-end burger chain only has a small national footprint, it's a nice win for PepsiCo with Umami Burger delivering a high return on consumer buzz.
Fri, Feb. 27, 11:31 AM
- Factset has compiled a list of the most popular holdings of hedge funds at the end of Q4 and which stocks fell in or out of favor within the group.
- Overall, hedge funds increased their positions in the top 50 holdings during the quarter by 1%.
- Top 50 hedge fund consumer staples/discretionary stocks showing an increase: Family Dollar (NYSE:FDO) +1.3%, PepsiCo (NYSE:PEP) +20.3%, Priceline Group (NASDAQ:PCLN) +24.2%, Delta Air Lines (NYSE:DAL) +15.3%.
- Top 50 hedge fund consumer staples/discretionary stocks showing a decrease: Mastercard (NYSE:MA) -4.2%, Walgreen Boots Alliance (NASDAQ:WBA) -1.3%, Dollar General (NYSE:DG) -11.6%, Mondelez International (NASDAQ:MDLZ) -0.9%.
- Another way to look at the list is to examine which stocks are missing. Coca-Cola (NYSE:KO), Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT), and Procter & Gamble (NYSE:PG) are in that club.
- Factset's hedge fund ownership report (.pdf)
Thu, Feb. 19, 3:06 PM
- New recommendations from the USDA's Dietary Guidelines Advisory Committee call for reduced consumption of sugar in the U.S. in order to help alleviate obesity.
- A tax on foods with high sugar content has been part of the discussion.
- Analysis from the group on sugar supplement aspartame was mixed.
- The consumption of sodas by children is of particular concern to the group which also issued broader guidelines on dietary health.
- Food lobbyists are expected to challenge some of the proposals.
- USDA press release
- Related stocks: KRFT, MDLZ, PEP, KO, HSY, RMCF, MNST, TR.
Sat, Feb. 14, 10:13 AM
- Craft soda is starting to become a trend to watch closely, according to industry insiders.
- Though still accounting for only ~1% of the total U.S. soda market, major retail chains have increasingly been willing to bet on local craft brands in store aisles.
- The craft craze is old news for the beer industry where coming-of-age millennials buy craft/local beers at a 50% higher rate than brand-loyal older generations. Fading stars such as Budweiser and Bud Light are testament to the impact of the millennial paradigm.
- The craft influence in coffee hasn't been lost on Starbucks which has strategically deployed trucks on college campuses in an effort to win over students.
- Despite the progressive reputation of Starbucks, analysts think new upstarts such as Craft (subscription) and Cups (app) have a shot of gaining influence with the Indie-minded millennial crowd on "customization" and pricing.
- What to watch: An increase in M&A activity in the beverage sector is expected as major companies strategically pick off more local craft brands to incubate.
- Craft beer watch: BUD, OTCPK:SBMRY, TAP, OTCQX:HEINY, SAM, BREW, STZ, OTC:BIBLF, OTCPK:BRBMF.
- Craft coffee watch: GMCR, SBUX, JVA, SJM, KRFT, DNKN, QSR, MCD.
- Craft soda watch: PEP, KO, MNST, COT, DPS, OTCQB:JSDA, REED, SODA, FIZZ.
Thu, Feb. 12, 7:18 AM
- PepsiCo's (NYSE:PEP) Q4 performance may have been strong enough to prompt investment firms to lift their price targets.
- The consensus PT is $101.15 and Evercore ISI has the Street high at $115.
- PepsiCo pullouts from yesterday below.
- Capital allocation: The company expects to return to shareholders $8.5B to $9B through dividends and buybacks.
- Innovation: As a percentage of total revenue, the contribution from innovation has climbed 150 bps over the last two years to 9%.
- Consumer confidence: "It takes a number of months before the consumer fully spends back the so called benefit from lower gas prices," said a top exec.
- Shares of PepsiCo trade within a dollar of their all-time highs.
- Previously: PepsiCo beats by $0.04, beats on revenue (Feb. 11 2015)
- Previously: PepsiCo leans on Frito-Lay for profit beat (Feb. 11 2015)
- Earnings call transcript
Wed, Feb. 11, 7:20 AM
- PepsiCo (NYSE:PEP) reports organic revenue rose 5% in Q4.
- Organic volume rose 2% for the snacks business and 1% for beverages (same as Coca-Cola).
- Developing and emerging market organic revenue +10%.
- Foreign exchange translation clipped revenue by six percentage points.
- Revenue growth by segment: Frito-Lay North America +3% to $4.37B; Quaker Foods North America -2% to $784M; Latin America Foods -0.5% to $2.80B; PepsiCo Americas +1% to $6.06B; Europe -10% to $3.91B; AMEA +4% to $2.02B.
- Operating profit +5.5% to $1.23B at Frito-Lay North America with no F/X overhang.
- Total core operating margin +15 bps.
- Guidance: 7% EPS growth expected for 2015. F/X is forecast to cut 7 percentage points from growth during the year. Organic growth seen growing at a mid-single digit rate.
- PEP +1.03% premarket
Wed, Feb. 11, 7:05 AM
Tue, Feb. 10, 5:30 PM
Thu, Feb. 5, 5:47 PM
Fri, Jan. 30, 3:26 PM
- Products from PepsiCo (PEP -2.1%) will be on full display this Super Bowl Sunday - before, during, and after the mammoth TV event.
- The company plans to run 11 Mountain Dew Kickstart spots during the extended SB pre-game show.
- Doritos and Gatorade will have their usual high-visibility presence, while Tostitos gets its introduction to the spectacle.
- A lead-in commercial just before the Pepsi-sponsored halftime show has a chance to be one of the most watch commercials of the game.
- In an appeal to millennials, the company is running a student cooking competition using PepsiCo products and unloading massive marketing efforts around the crowdsourced Crash the Super Bowl competition.
- One group that doesn't mind the significant efforts of PepsiCo to generate Super Bowl buzz is C-stores (KR, CASY, PTRY, OTCPK:ANCUF, CST, MUSA).
- Traffic to C-stores this weekend is forecast to be up over 8% Y/Y.
- Mountain Dew Kickstart Ad
- PepsiCo Super Bowl teaser ad
PEP vs. ETF Alternatives
PepsiCo Inc is a food, snack and beverage company. It manufactures, markets, distributes and sells convenient and enjoyable beverages, foods and snacks, serving customers and consumers in more than 200 countries and territories.
Other News & PR