Sep. 30, 2014, 4:25 PM
- Principal Financial Group's (NYSE:PFG) Principal Global Investors agrees to lift its stake in Stamford-basd equity management firm Columbus Circle Investors to 95% from 70%.
- Principal Global first acquired its stake in 2005, and AUM have since more than quadrupled to $17.5B as of June 30.
- The investment has "greatly exceeded" expectations for returns in the mid-teens, says Jim McCaughan, CEO of Principal Global.
- Source: Press Release
Sep. 12, 2014, 12:19 PM
- Principal Real Estate Investors - part of PFG - along with Macquarie Group announce the creation of Principal Commercial Capital, a platform focused on originating and securitizing commercial mortgages.
- Macquarie will provide funding and capital markets expertise, while Principal will source, underwrite, close, and service the loans. Principal has been in the business for awhile, and Macquarie is eager to expand its presence in U.S. commercial real estate, and recently hired a team of CMBS veterans.
- Source: Press Release
Jul. 25, 2014, 10:37 AM
- Q2 operating earnings of $323.1M or $1.08 per share vs. $271.4M and $0.91 one year ago. Dividend of $0.34 per share is up 6% from Q1.
- ROE of 13.3% up 290 basis points from one year ago.
- 1.3M shares repurchased during Q2 at average price of $47.08 each. Book value per share, excluding AOCI, of $31.52 up 6%. Capital deployment is expected to be at the high end of the previously stated $500M-$700M range.
- Presentation slides
- Previously: Principal Financial Group beats by $0.02, beats on revenue
- PFG flat on the session
Jul. 24, 2014, 5:46 PM
Jul. 24, 2014, 4:28 PM| Comment!
Jul. 23, 2014, 5:35 PM
- ABAX, ACTG, ALGN, ALTR, AMZN, ATRC, AWAY, BAS, BCOV, BCR, BIDU, BJRI, BLDR, CB, CBI, CERN, CLS, COLM, CTCT, CYN, DECK, DGII, DLB, DTLK, ECHO, ELY, EPR, FET, FICO, FII, FLEX, FSL, GIMO, HBHC, IM, INFA, KLAC, LEG, LOGM, LSCC, MITK, MKTO, MLNX, MSCC, MTD, MTSN, MXIM, N, NR, NTGR, OLN, P, PACB, PEB, PFG, PFPT, QLGC, QLIK, RFMD, RGA, RGC, RSG, RVBD, SBAC, SBUX, SIVB, SPNC, SRCL, SWFT, SWI, SYA, TPX, TSRO, UHS, V, VR, VRSN, WOOF, WRE, WRI
Jun. 9, 2014, 11:18 AM
- Scotiabank upgrades Banco Santander-Chile (BSAC +1.6%) to Outperform.
- Nomura upgrades Capital One (COF +1.4%) to Buy with $94 price target.
- Morgan Stanley upgrades Principal Financial Group (PFG +0.8%) to Equal Weight.
- KBW boosts its rating on SunTrust (STI +1.6%) to Outperform with $46 price target.
- KBW downgrades First NBC Bank Holding Company (NBCB -0.1%) to Market Perform.
May 14, 2014, 1:18 PM
- In a search for yield, U.S. life insurers have significantly boosted issuance of Funding Agreement Note Issuance Program debt (FANIPs), says Moody's. Insurers use the FANIPs for funding, tilting the investing of the proceeds - given today's low-rate environment - in things like commercial mortgages, public corporate debt, and private placements.
- Popular pre-crisis and stagnant since, "these funding agreement instruments are showing signs of life," says Moody's analyst Rokhaya Cisse. This year through April, issuance is up by about 56% to $8.8B from the same year-ago period. Among the seven insurers which have issued the funding this year are MetLife (MET -1.7%), Principal Financial (PFG -1.4%), and Prudential (PRU -1.6%).
- While Moody's doesn't expect issuance to reach pre-crisis levels, the boosted level "is credit negative because they present liquidity and asset-liability management risks that can emerge during capital markets disruptions."
Apr. 25, 2014, 10:47 AM
- One stock working today is Principal Financial Group (PFG +3.8%) after reporting a 34% increase in operating earnings on 12% higher revenue in the first quarter, and boosting the quarterly dividend by 14% to $0.32 per share. Alongside the increased dividend is an authorization for up to $200M of buybacks - about 1.4% of the float at current prices.
- Other earnings highlights include a 90 basis point increase in the ROE to 13% and $72M of buybacks in Q1. Book value per share, excluding AOCI of $30.81 is up 6% from 2013's end.
- CFO Terry Lillis: "Our capital deployment strategy continues to be a clear differentiator and a priority as we further increase shareholder value."
- Previously: Principal Financial Group, Inc. beats by $0.14, beats on revenue
- Previously: Principal Financial Group Inc declares $0.32 dividend
Apr. 24, 2014, 5:52 PM| Comment!
Apr. 24, 2014, 4:24 PM| Comment!
Apr. 14, 2014, 7:25 AM
- Its hopes for higher interest rates dashed for the moment, the insurance sector hasn't escaped the recent market sell-off, but Raymond James is stepping in to buy the dip on a couple of names, upgrading Lincoln National (LNC) to Strong Buy and Principal Financial Group (PFG) to Outperform.
- On Friday, Principal Financial was boosted to Equal Weight from Underweight at Evercore.
Feb. 28, 2014, 12:38 PM
- "After conducting a deeper dive, we are now more confident in discounting the upside from future ROE improvement and more comfortable assuming the downside from emerging markets risk," says analyst Jeff Schuman, upping Principal Financial Group (PFG +3.1%) to Outperform with $56 price target. "We are increasing estimates and raising our price target to $56 from $54, which implies 29% total return, including dividends.”
Feb. 3, 2014, 4:27 PM| Comment!
Feb. 3, 2014, 4:01 PM| Comment!
Feb. 3, 2014, 12:10 AM
PFG vs. ETF Alternatives
Principal Financial Group offers retirement services, insurance solutions and asset management services. It provides financial products and services through the financial services companies to businesses, individuals, and institutional clients.
Other News & PR