SA News • Tue, Jul. 1
From other sites
at Zacks.com (Oct 28, 2014)
at MarketWatch.com (Jan 7, 2013)
PHDG And VQT: 2 S&P 500 Dynamic VEQTOR Index Products Compared
- Is PHDG a viable alternative to VQT?
- Are either products effective downside hedges to SPY?
- A look at VQT/PHDG as an AGG replacement in a Growth Portfolio.
There are no Transcripts on PHDG.
Tue, Jul. 1, 12:40 PM
- Traditionally a mutual fund issuer, Compass EMP is striking out into the ETF industry with the creation of 3 smart beta funds, each tracking an index made by Compass EMP.
- The Compass EMP U.S. EQ Income 100 Enhanced Volatility Weighted Fund (CDC), Compass EMP U.S. 500 Volatility Weighted Index ETF (CFA), and Compass EMP U.S. 500 Enhanced Volatility Weighted Index ETF (CFO) will all begin trading on July 2nd.
- These funds all feature a focus on volatility management and will charge an expense ratio between 58 and 68 basis points.
- U.S. ETFs with a focus on volatility: SPLV, LGLV, USMV, VQT, PHDG, XSLV, SPXH, XMLV, SMLV, ERW, VIXH
Tue, Mar. 18, 1:24 PM
- The CBOE: Where fear never sleeps. Beginning June 22, futures action in the VIX will be available nearly around the clock, with trading beginning on Sunday evenings and not shutting down until Miller Time on Fridays.
- The calculation of the actual VIX, however, will only take place during regular U.S. trading hours, says the exchange.
- ETFs: VXX, UVXY, TVIX, XIV, VIXY, SVXY, ZIV, VXZ, VIXM, VQT, CVOL, VIIX, PHDG, XVZ, VIXH, ACWV, XVIX, XXV, TVIZ, IVOP, VIIZ
Mon, Mar. 3, 3:05 PM
- U.S. stocks are well off session lows, but gold continues to move ahead, now up 2.3% and at a 4-month high of $1,352 per ounce. At a 5-month high is WTI crude oil, up 2.1% to $1.04.74 per barrel.
- Not showing much movement earlier, money is now flowing out of Europe and into the greenback, which has gained 0.5% against the euro (FXE) and cable (FXB) and 0.4% vs. the Swiss franc (FXF)
- Another beneficiary is volatility, and the iPath S&P 500 VIX Short-Term Futures ETN (VXX +5.4%) moves to its highest level in a month.
- Vol ETFs: VXX, UVXY, TVIX, XIV, VIXY, SVXY, ZIV, VXZ, VIXM, VQT, CVOL, VIIX, XVZ, PHDG, VIXH, ACWV, XVIX, XXV, TVIZ, IVOP, VIIZ
- Gold ETFs: GLD, IAU, PHYS, SGOL, UGL, DGP, GLL, DZZ, UGLD, DGL, GLDI, DGZ, AGOL, DGLD, TBAR, UBG, GLDE, GYEN, GEUR, GGBP
Fri, Jan. 24, 12:56 PM
- Call option bets on the VIX this week soared to a record high 8.4M contracts at the CBOE. "A lot are buying in size," says Mike Palmer, who sits at the center of the VIX pit. With volatility so low, speculators "can get a lot of bang for their buck." About 81% of VIX options trading yesterday was in call options.
- After a 7.2% jump Thursday, the VIX is up another 14% today, but - at 15.67 - still well below the 20-year average of 20.50.
- VIX ETFs: VXX, UVXY, TVIX, XIV, VIXY, SVXY, ZIV, VXZ, VIXM, VQT, CVOL, VIIX, XVZ, VIXH, PHDG, ACWV, XVIX, XXV, TVIZ, IVOP, VIIZ
Dec. 19, 2013, 11:26 AM
- The PowerShares Senior Loan Portfolio (BKLN) was honored with the William F. Sharpe Award for ETF Product of the Year this morning.
- Since opening in March 2011 and becoming the first floating-rate senior loan ETF, this Invesco (IVZ) fund has amassed over $6.2 billion in assets under management, making it easily the largest player in the space.
- "BKLN was a groundbreaking listing for investors seeking to reduce duration in their bond holdings and has become a flagship ETF in this space" stated Gregory Stoeckle, President and Managing Director of Invesco Senior Secured Management, Inc, in a press release.
- Also receiving honors this morning is the PowerShares S&P 500 Downside Hedged Portfolio (PHDG), which was named the ETF Innovation of the Year, along with its underlying index: the S&P 500 Dynamic VEQTOR Index.
- Other senior loan ETFs: SRLN, SNLN, FTSL
- Other VIX ETFs: VXX, UVXY, TVIX, XIV, VIXY, SVXY, VXZ, ZIV, VIXM, VQT, CVOL, XVZ, VIIX, VIXH, ACWV, XVIX, XXV, TVIZ, IVOP, VIIZ
Dec. 3, 2013, 3:30 PM
- Higher again today, the Volatility Index has gained for six straight sessions and is now at a 7-week high. Taper fear makes for a good excuse, but Baird's Bruce Bittles says the stock market - after notching its longest string of weekly advances in nearly a decade - simply needs a break.
- MKM's Jim Strugger says a number of potential negative catalysts lie ahead - notably Fed meetings in mid-December and late January, the January 1 deadline to sign up for Obamacare, and January 15 end of the current government spending authority (don't forget Friday's employment report).
- VXX +3.6%.
- ETFs: VXX, UVXY, TVIX, XIV, VIXY, SVXY, VXZ, ZIV, VIXM, VQT, CVOL, VIIX, XVZ, VIXH, ACWV, PHDG, XVIX, XXV, TVIZ, IVOP, VIIZ
Nov. 4, 2013, 3:47 PM
- "If the market was too confident about September tapering six weeks ago, it may be too confident about March tapering now," write the strategists at BAML, suggesting traders position themselves for a big payroll number on Friday - short 10-year Treasurys (TLT), long dollars (UUP), particularly vs. the yen (FXY), and long volatility (VXX).
- "The balance of risks going into Friday is unusually asymmetric," writes the team, noting a weak number will be discounted as a temporary shock from the shutdown, but a strong print will have the market pricing in a December or January taper.
- Treasury ETFs: TBT, TLT, TMV, TBF, EDV, TTT, TMF, ZROZ, TLH, SBND, DLBS, VGLT, UBT, TLO, FSA, LBND, TENZ, TYBS, DLBL.
- Dollar ETFs: UUP, UDN, UUPT, UDNT.
- Yen ETFs: FXY, YCS, JYN, YCL.
- Volatility ETFs: VXX, UVXY, TVIX, XIV, VIXY, SVXY, VXZ, ZIV, VIXM, VQT, XVZ, VIIX, CVOL, VIXH, ACWV, XVIX, PHDG, XXV, TVIZ, IVOP, VIIZ.
PHDG vs. ETF Alternatives
The PowerShares S&P 500® Downside Hedged Portfolio (the Fund) is an actively managed exchange-traded fund (ETF) that seeks to achieve positive total returns in rising or falling markets that are not directly correlated to broad equity or fixed-income market returns. The Fund seeks to achieve its investment objective by using a quantitative, rules-based strategy designed to provide returns that correspond to the performance of the S&P 500® Dynamic VEQTOR Index (the Index). The Index provides investors with broad equity market exposure with an implied volatility hedge by dynamically allocating between equity, volatility and cash. The index allows investors to receive exposure to the equity and volatility of the S&P 500 Index in a dynamic framework.
See more details on sponsor's website
See more details on sponsor's website
Country: United States
Other News & PR