Thu, Aug. 13, 8:50 AM
- The furniture and home furnishing stores category RH, PIR, HVT, BBBY, ETH, HOFT, OTCPK:BEST, W, LZB, OTCPK:LEFUF, BSET, WSM, RH, KIRK outperformed in today's report on retail sales.
- Sales were up 0.8 Y/Y and 6.1% Y/Y in July for the housing-related category.
- Department stores (KSS, JCP, SHLD, JWN, M) showed sluggish traffic trends again, sales were down 0.8% M/M and slumped 2.7% Y/Y.
- Sales in the food services category were up a solid 9.0% Y/Y.
- U.S. Census Bureau Retail Sales report (.pdf)
- Previously: July U.S. Retail Sales: +0.6% (Aug. 13 2015)
Thu, Jun. 25, 4:59 PM
Thu, Jun. 18, 9:22 AM
Wed, Jun. 17, 5:37 PM
Wed, Jun. 17, 4:07 PM
Tue, Jun. 16, 5:35 PM
Mon, Jun. 1, 7:23 AM
Tue, Apr. 14, 9:09 AM
- The furniture and home furnishing stores category in the March Retail Sales report outperformed most other businesses.
- Sales rose 1.4% M/M and 3.8% Y/Y during the month.
- The sector was on watch to see if there was any continued spillover impact from the West Coast slowdown.
- Furniture/home furnishing stocks: RH, PIR, HVT, BBBY, ETH, HOFT, OTCQB:BEST, W, LZB, OTCPK:LEFUF, BSET, KIRK, WSM.
- Retail Sales report (.pdf)
Thu, Apr. 9, 12:45 PM
Wed, Apr. 8, 5:51 PM
- Pier 1 Imports (NYSE:PIR) reports comparable sales rose 5.7% in FQ4.
- E-commerce sales accounted for 11% of the company's total sales tally during the quarter.
- Merchandise margin -100 bps to 55.6% as higher supply chains costs factored in.
- SG&A expenses as a percentage of sales increased 140 bps to 27.4%.
- Pier 1 says it plans to close 100 stores over the next three years as part of an optimization plan.
- FY16 guidance: The company guides for a mid single-digit comp. EPS of $0.83-$0.87 vs $0.90 consensus estimate.
- Previously: Pier 1 Imports beats by $0.03, misses on revenue
- PIR +3.64% after hours.
Wed, Apr. 8, 4:21 PM
Wed, Apr. 8, 4:08 PM
Tue, Apr. 7, 5:35 PM
Wed, Apr. 1, 10:09 AM| Wed, Apr. 1, 10:09 AM | 1 Comment
Fri, Mar. 20, 7:41 AM
Fri, Feb. 20, 9:52 PM
- Some false alarms earlier, but the AP reports (and union spokesmen and the PMA started confirming) that agreement has been reached with West Coast dockworkers.
- The deal would end a nine-month negotiation that has led to significant slowdowns at 29 West Coast U.S. ports. Labor Secretary Thomas Perez urged the PMA and union workers to come to agreement today.
- The contract still needs union ratification.
- Affected furniture stocks: RH, PIR, HVT, BBBY, ETH, HOFT, OTCQB:BEST, W, LZB, OTCPK:LEFUF, BSET.
- Apparel stocks: KATE, ANN, LULU, PVH, VNCE, CRI, UA, HBI, VFC, COLM, GIL, SQBG, JCP, KSS, DDS, M, JWN, ARO, AEO, ANF, WTSL, TLYS, CACH, ZUMZ, PSUN, EXPR, BKE, GIII, SQBG, HBI, VRA, ICON, SHOO, BWS, PERY, DXLG, BONT, GES, URBN, RL,GIL, NKE, OXM, HBI, VNCE, PERY, ICON, FL.
- Previous coverage of the slowdown
PIR vs. ETF Alternatives
Pier 1 Imports Inc is a specialty retailer of imported decorative home furnishings and gifts in the North America. It conducts business as one operating segment and operates stores in the United States and Canada under the name Pier 1 Imports.
Other News & PR