Mon, Jan. 5, 8:50 AM
- The PetSmart LBO strategy could be utilized again in the retail sector amid the current low interest rate environment, note analysts.
- Bloomberg picks some top candidates to see a LBO play this year.
- GameStop (NYSE:GME): Valuation has been driven down to a level that could attract P-E firms.
- Bed Bath & Beyond (NASDAQ:BBBY): Spinoff opportunities and a lagging stock price make BBBY a LBO natural, note sector watchers.
- Pier 1 Imports (NYSE:PIR): A buyer would have plenty of opportunities to cut costs and set a turnaround strategy.
- Dick's Sporting Goods (NYSE:DKS): Perhaps the surprise in the bunch, but analysts see upside potential in a LBO scenario as a shift in focus is enacted.
- Previous on LBOs in retail: Retail trends to watch
Dec. 19, 2014, 10:05 AM
- Pier 1 Imports (PIR +12.2%) trades higher despite missing analyst estimates with its FQ3 report.
- Favorable comments from management on the Thanksgiving/Black Friday sales event and e-commerce momentum appear to be swaying investors.
- "We finished November on a high note buoyed by the strength of Thanksgiving weekend," said CFO Cary Turner.
- Earnings call transcript
Dec. 19, 2014, 9:11 AM
Dec. 18, 2014, 5:39 PM
Dec. 18, 2014, 4:07 PM
Dec. 17, 2014, 5:35 PM
Nov. 20, 2014, 3:24 PM
- Home furnishing stocks stocks are in rally mode after Kirkland's (KIRK +22.9%) and Williams-Sonoma (WSM +8.3%) both top expectations.
- The development follows strong reports from Home Depot and Lowe's which also showed strong demand for home products.
- Gainers: Restoration Hardware (NYSE:RH) +6.4%, Pier 1 Imports (NYSE:PIR) +2.0%, Haverty Furniture (NYSE:HVT) +2.5%, Bed Bath & Beyond (NASDAQ:BBBY) +2.0%, Ethan Allen (NYSE:ETH) +2.9%.
Sep. 30, 2014, 1:33 PM
Sep. 26, 2014, 7:06 AM
Sep. 24, 2014, 8:13 AM
- Retail sales could increase by 4.5% to $986B this holiday season on an improved macroeconomic backdrop, forecasts Deloitte Touche.
- The mark would easily top last year's 2.8% rise.
- Online sales are tipped to rise by 14%.
- Promotional activity across broad retail has been dialed back a touch during the back-to-school season, but is still a risk to margins heading into the crucial shopping period.
- What to watch: This holiday season could be an operational pressure cooker for UPS (NYSE:UPS) and FedEx (NYSE:FDX) with demand expected to be high.
- Related stocks: AAP, AEO, ANF, BBBY, BBY, BJ, CHS, COH, COST, DG, FDO, FL, GPS, JCP, JNY, JWN, KSS, LB, LULU, M, NDN, PIR, RL, TGT, TIF, TJX, UA, URBN, VFC, WMT, ZLC, PERY, SQBG, VNCE, KORS, GIII, KATE, GIL, VRA, ICON, PSMT, AMZN.
- Related ETFs: XLY, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, IYK, FXD, FDIS, PMR, UGE, RCD, SZK
Sep. 18, 2014, 1:19 PM
- "We’ve been sort of in the dumb camp," Pier 1 Imports (PIR -18.9%) CEO Alex Smith tells analysts and investors during the firm's earnings call last night.
- The exec laments the decision by the company to follow peers down the hyper-promotional path.
- Though it will take some time, Pier 1 Imports says it aims to get back to what it's really good at.
- Earnings call transcript
Sep. 18, 2014, 12:45 PM
Sep. 18, 2014, 9:06 AM
Sep. 17, 2014, 5:37 PM
Sep. 17, 2014, 4:21 PM
Sep. 17, 2014, 4:10 PM
PIR vs. ETF Alternatives
Pier 1 Imports Inc is a specialty retailer of imported decorative home furnishings and gifts in the North America. It conducts business as one operating segment and operates stores in the United States and Canada under the name Pier 1 Imports.
Other News & PR