Nov. 20, 2014, 3:24 PM
- Home furnishing stocks stocks are in rally mode after Kirkland's (KIRK +22.9%) and Williams-Sonoma (WSM +8.3%) both top expectations.
- The development follows strong reports from Home Depot and Lowe's which also showed strong demand for home products.
- Gainers: Restoration Hardware (NYSE:RH) +6.4%, Pier 1 Imports (NYSE:PIR) +2.0%, Haverty Furniture (NYSE:HVT) +2.5%, Bed Bath & Beyond (NASDAQ:BBBY) +2.0%, Ethan Allen (NYSE:ETH) +2.9%.
Sep. 30, 2014, 1:33 PM
Sep. 26, 2014, 7:06 AM
Sep. 24, 2014, 8:13 AM
- Retail sales could increase by 4.5% to $986B this holiday season on an improved macroeconomic backdrop, forecasts Deloitte Touche.
- The mark would easily top last year's 2.8% rise.
- Online sales are tipped to rise by 14%.
- Promotional activity across broad retail has been dialed back a touch during the back-to-school season, but is still a risk to margins heading into the crucial shopping period.
- What to watch: This holiday season could be an operational pressure cooker for UPS (NYSE:UPS) and FedEx (NYSE:FDX) with demand expected to be high.
- Related stocks: AAP, AEO, ANF, BBBY, BBY, BJ, CHS, COH, COST, DG, FDO, FL, GPS, JCP, JNY, JWN, KSS, LB, LULU, M, NDN, PIR, RL, TGT, TIF, TJX, UA, URBN, VFC, WMT, ZLC, PERY, SQBG, VNCE, KORS, GIII, KATE, GIL, VRA, ICON, PSMT, AMZN.
- Related ETFs: XLY, XRT, VCR, RTH, RETL, IYK, FXD, FDIS, PMR, UGE, RCD, SZK
Sep. 18, 2014, 1:19 PM
- "We’ve been sort of in the dumb camp," Pier 1 Imports (PIR -18.9%) CEO Alex Smith tells analysts and investors during the firm's earnings call last night.
- The exec laments the decision by the company to follow peers down the hyper-promotional path.
- Though it will take some time, Pier 1 Imports says it aims to get back to what it's really good at.
- Earnings call transcript
Sep. 18, 2014, 12:45 PM
Sep. 18, 2014, 9:06 AM
Sep. 17, 2014, 5:37 PM
Sep. 17, 2014, 4:21 PM
Sep. 17, 2014, 4:10 PM
Sep. 16, 2014, 5:35 PM
Jul. 15, 2014, 8:41 AM
- A decline in sales at furniture stores and home furnishing outlets (PIR, BBBY, LZB, ETH, RH, HVT, KIRK, WSM) dragged down retail sales during the month of June.
- The building material and garden equipment category (HD, LOW) was also weak.
- Perhaps a surprise, but sales at clothing stores outpaced other businesses during the month.
Jul. 9, 2014, 9:09 AM
- Shares of Bed Bath & Beyond (BBBY), Pier 1 Imports (PIR), and Williams-Sonoma (WSM) are on watch after The Container Store (TCS) CEO Kip Tindell paints an ugly picture for specialty retail.
- Tindell on retail: "...consumers seem to be buying homes and automobiles and even high ticket furniture which has kind of been in the doldrums since the great recession. But most segments of retail are a little like us, seeing more challenging sales certainly than we had hoped for early in 2014."
- The Container Store earnings call transcript
- TCS -16.1% premarket
Jun. 20, 2014, 3:35 PM
Jun. 19, 2014, 12:45 PM
Jun. 19, 2014, 9:11 AM
PIR vs. ETF Alternatives
Pier 1 Imports Inc is a specialty retailer of imported decorative home furnishings and gifts in the North America. It conducts business as one operating segment and operates stores in the United States and Canada under the name Pier 1 Imports.
Other News & PR