May. 2, 2014, 12:03 PM
- Core FFO per share of $1.80 gained 9.1% from one year ago, but was $0.06 shy of expectations.
- Same store revenue of $440.1M up 5.1%. Operating costs of $139.5M up 4%, with property taxes up 4.3%. Gross margin of 68.3% vs. 68%.
- Square foot occupancy of 92.6% up from 91.9% a year ago. REVAPR of $13.34 up 5% .
- Previously: Public Storage misses by $0.06, misses on revenue
- Source: Press Release
- After a nice run for the stock this year, investors are not taking the earnings miss well. PSA -3%
May. 1, 2014, 7:08 PM
May. 1, 2014, 3:29 PM
- Adjusted FFO per share of $0.98 was up from $0.84 a year ago, with boosted occupancy and rental rates more than offsetting increases in property taxes, snow removal, and utilities. CEO David Rogers notes Sovran (SSS -2.3%) had fewer move-outs than in recent winters.
- Same store revenue grew 8.3% Y/Y thanks to a 310 basis point rise in occupancy, a 3.4% increase in rental rates, and strong growth in insurance commissions. Same store operating expenses grew 6.4%.
- Six properties acquired thus far in 2014 for $86.7M, and another 17 are under contract with a combined purchase price of $120.7M.
- Guidance is boosted, with revenue expected to rise 6.5-7.5% in Q2 and 6-7% on the year. Operating costs including property taxes are expected to rise 6-7% in Q2 and 5-6% for the year. NOI is expected to rise 6.5-7.5% in Q2 and the same for the year. FFO per share should be $1.03-$1.05 in Q2 and $4.25-$4.29 for the year.
- Previously: Sovran Self Storage Inc. AFFO beats by $0.01, beats on revenue
- The rest of the sector - along with Sovran having a good run this year - is also in the red on the session. Public Storage (PSA -0.4%), Extra Space Storage (EXR -1.1%), CubeSmart (CUBE -0.8%)
Mar. 17, 2014, 7:55 AM
- Downgraded to Neutral from Outperform are Sovran Self Storage (SSS) and Extra Space Storage (EXR), and boosted to Outperform from Neutral is Public Storage (PSA).
- It looks like a valuation call as Public Storage is the notable underperformer in the group over the last year, up 13.4% vs. 20.2% for Sovran and 29% for Extra Storage.
Feb. 26, 2014, 7:13 AM
- "Public Storage's (PSA) earnings sensitivity to topline growth (due to low leverage) external growth (due to size) and refinance potential (all preferreds already refiananced) is among the lowest in the sector," says analyst Andrew Rosivach, cutting the stock to a Sell with price target of $157. "Finally the relative multiple of PSA to REITs is near peak levels."
- Peers? Sovran Self Storage (SSS), CubeSmart (CUBE), Extra Storage Space (EXR).
Feb. 20, 2014, 6:03 PM
Feb. 20, 2014, 12:10 AM| 2 Comments
Feb. 19, 2014, 5:35 PM| Comment!
Jan. 31, 2014, 10:26 AM
- Working today - and for the whole month of January - as the broader market sells off are the REITs. The sector - both the equity REITs and mREITs - had been punished in 2013 as rates moved higher starting last May, but another four basis point decline this morning brings the 10-year Treasury yield down to 2.66% after starting the year at about 3%.
- At least for the mREITs, nearly all put in what may turn out to be major bottoms late in 2013 amid jitters over year-end tax-loss selling and the commencement of the taper - sell the rumor, buy the news ... indeed.
- Mortgage REITs: Annaly (NLY +1.1%) +7.4% YTD, American Capital (AGNC +1.3%) +9.1%, Invesco (IVR +0.5%) +6.7%, Anworth (ANH +0.6%) +10.9%, Apollo Residential (AMTG +0.7%) +9.1%, AG Mortgage Investment (MITT +0.6%) +5.6%.
- ETFs: REM, MORT, MORL
- Equity players: Realty Income (O +0.5%) +9.6% YTD, National Retail (NNN +0.7%) +9.8%, AvalonBay (AVB +0.8%) +4.1%, Public Storage (PSA +0.6%) +4.9%, Boston Properties (BXP +0.2%) +7.8%, Liberty Trust (LRY +1%) +7.9%.
- Related ETFs: IYR, VNQ, REM, DRN, REZ, URE, SRS, RWR, ICF, SCHH, DRV, ROOF, KBWY, RTL, REK, FRI, FTY, PSR, FNIO, WREI
Jan. 9, 2014, 7:39 AM
- "We think the shares have pulled back too much on overblown concerns regarding slowing earnings growth," says analyst Omotayo Okusanya, upping Public Storage (PSA) to a Buy with $175 price target. "Our PT implies a total return of ~20%, including the 3.7% dividend yield."
- The analyst cuts Highwoods Properties (HIW) to Hold with price target of $38 (from $42). "While we like the HIW story longer-term, we expect performance in 2014 to be more modest given limited near-term catalysts, and fair valuation at 12.4x FFO versus Suburban Office REIT peers at 11.9x FFO."
- See also: Jefferies makes a couple of other moves in REITs.
Jan. 7, 2014, 9:04 AM
- Wells Fargo downgrades two more REIT sector players, removing Buy ratings on Sovran Self Storage (SSS) and CubeSmart (CUBE) after nice runs (relative to the sector) for both.
- In addition to valuation for SSS, Wells notes headwinds for same-store results and the team's FFO growth estimate for 2014 at 8.5% vs. consensus 9.3%. Also in the peer-group is Hold-rated Public Storage (PSA), which Wells expects will grow FFO just 7.3% this year.
- Earlier: Wells downgrades Senior Housing Properties and Omega Healthcare.
Dec. 17, 2013, 10:16 AM
- The upgrades: Brandywine Realty Trust (BDN +0.8%) and Federated Realty Investment (FRT +0.4%) to Buy at ISI, CommonWealth REIT (CWH +0.3%) to Hold and Liberty Property Trust (LRY +2%) to Buy at Stifel, Extra Storage Space (EXR +1.7%) to Hold at BMO (BMO earlier downgraded PSA), and American Realty Capital (ARCP +0.3%) to Buy at CapitalOne.
- The downgrades: Cedar Realty Trust (CDR -0.5%) to Sell at BAML, and Parkway Properties (PKY -1.4%) to Sell at Citi.
Dec. 17, 2013, 8:40 AM
- Public Storage (PSA) closed the purchase of 44 properties from Florida-based Stor-All for $430M on December 12 - the largest self-storage acquisition of 2013.
- "To the frustration of investors, management remains vague on the initial yield on the $1.1B of activity this year," says BMO Capital, cutting the stock to a Sell with $140 price target. One of the largest REITs with a "pristine" balance sheet, PSA has historically traded at a premium to its peers, but the company's balance sheet and acquisition strategy have begun to look like everyone else's - so why wouldn't its valuation.
Oct. 31, 2013, 6:08 PM
Oct. 31, 2013, 5:53 PM
Oct. 31, 2013, 12:10 AM
PSA vs. ETF Alternatives
Public Storage is engaged in the acquisition, development, ownership and operation of self-storage facilities which offers storage spaces for lease, generally on a month-to-month basis, for personal and business use.
Other News & PR