News • Wed, Sep. 24
From other sites
at CNBC.com (Oct 24, 2014)
at CNBC.com (Aug 29, 2014)
at CNBC.com (Jan 23, 2014)
at MarketWatch.com (Dec 13, 2013)
at CNBC.com (Jul 26, 2013)
at Fox Business (Jul 10, 2013)
at Fox Business (Jun 28, 2013)
at CNBC.com (Jun 21, 2013)
at MarketWatch.com (Jun 13, 2013)
at Fox Business (May 30, 2013)
Pearson Q2 2007 Earnings Call TranscriptJul. 30, 2007
Wed, Sep. 24, 10:02 AM| Comment!
Tue, Jul. 1, 2:56 PM| 3 Comments
Wed, Jun. 11, 11:22 AM
Tue, May. 27, 10:39 AM
- Shares of Barnes & Noble (BKS +6.5%) are higher after the company is tapped by Barron's as a potential undervalued play for investors.
- The sum-of-the-parts argument on B&N isn't new, although Barron's comes up with an eye-popping potential fair market value of $36 per share on the stock.
- The college business of Barnes & Noble looks under-appreciated in particular.
- Before anything too dramatic happens with the company, the Nook Media conundrum needs to be worked out with stakeholders Microsoft and Pearson (PSO +1%).
Fri, Apr. 25, 4:04 AM
- Pearson's (PSO) Q1 sales rose 2% at constant exchange rates to £900M ($1.51B), although on a reported basis the figure dropped 6% because of the strength of sterling. The number excludes book publisher Penguin Random House and corporate news provider Mergermarket.
- Pearson reiterated guidance that FY adjusted EPS will drop to 62-67 pence at current exchange rates from 70.1 pence.
- Shares are +2.7% in London. (PR)
Fri, Feb. 28, 9:14 AM
Fri, Feb. 28, 4:09 AM
- Pearson's (PSO) net profit increased to £538M ($899M) in 2013 from £311M in 2012.
- However, adjusted operating profit fell 6% to £871M, as the company expected, hurt by weak demand in U.S. higher education and restructuring expenses.
- Sales increased 2% to £5.18B, missing consensus of £5.8B.
- Pearson expects pressures in its largest markets to continue, hurting revenue and margins. "We are in the middle of what we believe will be a short, but difficult, transition," says CEO John Fallon.
- Pearson forecasts that 2014 EPS will drop to £0.62-0.67 from 70.1 pence in 2013.
- Pearson proposed a 7% rise in its dividend to 48 pence a share.
- Shares are -8.1% in London. (PR)
Tue, Feb. 11, 2:34 PM| Comment!
Thu, Jan. 23, 7:47 AM
- Pearson (PSO) takes a hit from the restructuring cost of turning to a digital model.
- The company spent $282M last year on the initiative, higher than analysts projected.
- The high costs come with the published already under pressure in the U.S. from declining bookstore sales.
- Pearson still expects to realize significant savings from the reorganization, but is off to a bit of a slow start.
- PSO -7.3% premarket
Nov. 29, 2013, 10:14 AM
Nov. 5, 2013, 9:53 AM| Comment!
Oct. 30, 2013, 4:17 AM
- Pearson's (PSO) nine-month sales +4% at constant currencies vs +5% a year earlier.
- Warns that full-year operating profit will fall but reiterates that adjusted EPS will be flat.
- "Market conditions remain strong in digital, services and emerging markets, but are more challenging in some of our largest textbook publishing markets," CEO John Fallon says.
- Shares -1.9% in London. (PR)
Sep. 13, 2013, 11:44 AM
- Analysts at UBS believe that even as the backup in rates will be problematic for the market's highest yielding sectors - telecom, utilities, real estate - it is unlikely to negatively impact consistent dividend growth stocks.
- AstraZeneca (AZN) tops the firm's list of international dividend ruler stocks to buy; longer-term earnings power should be enhanced by its strong presence in emerging markets, and investors enjoy a 5.6% dividend yield.
- Total's (TOT) investment in oil and gas exploration should support production growth in 2013 and beyond; 4.7% dividend.
- British American Tobacco (BTI) has market leadership in 60 countries, with 75% of its business in emerging markets; 4% dividend.
- Also: UL, NVS, TEVA, PSO, SNY.
Aug. 20, 2013, 11:51 AM
- Barnes & Noble (BKS -15.9%) says it will work with Pearson (PSO -0.1%) on a digital education platform.
- A lot is made of the company's commitment to Nook with a new device due out for the holiday season, but questions on Nook's profit potential are likely to mount. Even backing out lower Nook sales and the quarter's tough comp shows negative digital content sales growth.
- B&N says it has short-term and long-term considerations as it looks for ways to increase shareholder value, including looking at offers. Reading between the tea leaves, it doesn't appear a spinoff plan for Nook Media is imminent.
- Earnings call webcast
Aug. 11, 2013, 1:25 AM
- U.S. District Judge Denise Cote is considering restricting the kind of ebook deals that Apple (AAPL) can formulate with five publishers for five years, including preventing the company from discounting ebooks for at least two years.
- Cote may also prevent Apple from negotiating with publishers at the same time in order to prevent the kind of price collusion that Cote has found them liable for.
- However, Cote may not impose a court-appointed external monitor on Apple, as requested by the DOJ.
- The publishers involved include News Corp's (NWS) HarperCollins, CBS's (CBS) Simon & Schuster and Penguin Random House (PSO).
- Cote has also started scheduling proceedings that could lead to a damages trial. While states and consumers haven't yet put a price on the amount suffered, an Apple layer said the figure could reach the "hundreds of millions of dollars." (previous)
Jul. 26, 2013, 9:23 AM
PSO vs. ETF Alternatives
Pearson PLC is engaged in the international media businesses covering education, business information and consumer publishing. Its business segments are North American Education, International Education, Professional, and FT Group.
Other News & PR