Tue, Oct. 6, 8:16 AM
- A new survey indicated 44% of online shoppers turn to Amazon.com first when searching for a product online. The level is much higher than what was found in previous studies.
- Another 34% use Google and other search engines to being their shopping efforts, while only 21% begin their search directly on the website of a retailer.
- The gains by Amazon in becoming the shopping portal for a higher percentage of consumers hits a wide variety of retailers - including Target (NYSE:TGT), Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT), Staples (NASDAQ:SPLS), and Best Buy (NYSE:BBY) - on market share and pricing leverage. It's been particularly devastating to mall chains such as Aeropostale (NYSE:ARO), American Eagle Outfitters (NYSE:AEO), Buckle (NYSE:BKE), Pacific Sunwear (NASDAQ:PSUN), and Abercombie & Fitch (NYSE:ANF) which rely on impulse buying from in-store shoppers.
Mon, Sep. 21, 1:08 PM
- Select specialty retailers are higher today as investors continue to speculate over which company will catch the interest of private equity firms looking at a go-private deal.
- Zumiez (ZUMZ +3.9%), Buckle (BKE +1.7%), Francesca's Holdings (FRAN +2.2%), and Pacific Sunwear (PSUN +2.9%) are the names in the deal hopper. All four are sharply lower YTD to levels no wseen as attracting PE interest
Wed, Sep. 9, 7:54 AM
- Pacific Sunwear of California (NASDAQ:PSUN) is down sharply following a FQ2 earnings miss and weak guidance.
- Comparable-store sales declined 6% in FQ2 as key summer items such as shorts, swim gear, and sandals saw disappointing demand.
- The company expects revenue of $196M to $203M in FQ3 vs. $212M consensus off a negative comp (-6% to -3%).
- Previously: Pacific Sunwear of California misses by $0.04, misses on revenue (Sep. 08 2015)
- PSUN -16.7% premarket to $0.50.
Tue, Sep. 8, 4:01 PM
Mon, Sep. 7, 5:35 PM
Wed, Aug. 26, 9:41 AM
Mon, Jul. 20, 1:38 PM
- A bold forecast from Cowen Research on Amazon has some deep implications for the broad retail sector if it proves accurate.
- Cowen sees Amazon nabbing 14% of the U.S. apparel and accessories market by 2020, up from ~5% this year.
- The Amazon Effect impacts retail companies differently depending on if they sell their brands on the Amazon website and at what prices. Chains that could see an impact from a higher level of apparel buying through Amazon include Macy's (NYSE:M), Dillard's (NYSE:DDS), J.C. Penney (NYSE:JCP), Aeropostale (NYSE:ARO), Abercrombie & Fitch (NYSE:ANF), L Brands (NYSE:LB), Kohl's (NYSE:KSS), Pacific Sunwear (NASDAQ:PSUN), and Zumiez (NASDAQ:ZUMZ). The trend also puts high-end sellers such as Kate Spade (NYSE:KATE) and Michael Kors (NYSE:KORS) in a tighter box on how to sell through Amazon.
- A disturbing trend for Wal-Mart (NYSE:WMT) and Target (NYSE:TGT) is that a higher percentage of their customers also bought apparel through Amazon in the first half of 2015.
Thu, Jul. 16, 10:12 AM
- Some popular momentum-driven retail stocks are starting off the day in reverse with Michael Kors (KORS -2.7%), Coach (COH -0.2%), Pacific Sunwear (PSUN -1.9%), Vera Bradley (VRA -3.3%), Fossil (FOSL -0.6%), Lululemon (LULU -0.6%), Kate Spade (KATE -0.4%) and Under Armour (UA -3.5%) all lower.
- While OTR Global is with a fresh note on UA and KORS in which expectations are reeled in, pricing trends and China are also looming over the sector.
Tue, Jul. 14, 3:09 PM
- A weak read on demand for apparel in today's Retail Sales report is contributing to a down day for some stocks in the sector.
- Notable decliners include Aeropostale (ARO -2.8%), Pacific Sunwear (PSUN -5.3%), DSW (DSW -4.8%), Christopher & Banks (CBK -4.9%), Stage Stores (SSI -2.2%).
- Previously: June Retail Sales miss expectations (Jul. 14 2015)
- Previously: Retail sales: No help from department stores (Jul. 14 2015)
Fri, May 29, 12:46 PM
Thu, May 28, 4:42 PM
- Pacific Sunwear (NASDAQ:PSUN) reports comparable-store sales fell 2% in Q1.
- Improved merchandise margins helped to offset the slip in comps during the period.
- Store count -13 Y/Y to 605.
- Q2 guidance: The company expects comp sales growth of -4% to flat. Revenue of $201M-$209M seen.
- Previously: Pacific Sunwear of California misses by $0.01, misses on revenue
Thu, May 28, 4:01 PM
Wed, May 27, 5:35 PM
Thu, Apr. 30, 8:17 AM
- Pacific Sunwear (NASDAQ:PSUN) is downgraded by D.A. Davidson to Neutral after being previously slotted at Buy.
- The company grew comparable-store sales by 3% last fiscal year, but showed a loss from continuing operations.
- Shares of PSUN are +0.9% YTD after taking a brief crack at holding the $3 level.
Wed, Mar. 25, 4:02 PM
Tue, Mar. 24, 5:35 PM
PSUN vs. ETF Alternatives
Pacific Sunwear, is a specialty retailer rooted in the action sports, fashion and music influences of California. It sells a combination of branded and proprietary casual apparel, accessories and footwear designed to appeal to teens and young adults.
Other News & PR